WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Hiking the Natchez Trace

We recently took a very short cycling vacation on the Natchez Trace Parkway. As a hiker, though, it really intrigues me. Historically it was more commonly walked than done by wheeled conveyance. Has anyone here walked the Old Trace?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

nope - but i've always wanted to bike it. actually, i've always wanted to bike the BRP but the Trace is a lot closer to home. how was it? what sections did you do?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

researched it. Would be a lot of road walking. Seems to me, about half the original trace, is now an RV road. the history is amazing. Pre-dates history. Was probably animal migration route, then native Americans used it. the settlers in Ohio would build stuff, build pole-barges, float down the river to New Orleans, sell their stuff, including the boat, and walk home on the Trace. Bandits used to prey on them, Merriweather lewis (of Lewis and Clark) was murdered staying in an Inn on the trace in 1809.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    researched it. Would be a lot of road walking. Seems to me, about half the original trace, is now an RV road. the history is amazing. Pre-dates history. Was probably animal migration route, then native Americans used it. the settlers in Ohio would build stuff, build pole-barges, float down the river to New Orleans, sell their stuff, including the boat, and walk home on the Trace. Bandits used to prey on them, Merriweather lewis (of Lewis and Clark) was murdered staying in an Inn on the trace in 1809.
    Is it conclusive that Lewis was murdered? I thought he had commited suicide.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    One of the rangers at the vistor center was telling us what had happened that night. It sounded like suicide to me.
    They have upgraded the visitor center and the campgrounds. We go twice a yr and stay at the campgrounds.

As far as hiking the Old Trace from one end to the other I don't think you can since so much of it is gone. They have sections you can hike like where Lewis is buried, by the tobacco barn (drive that section) and a few other areas.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I drove up most of the Trace in mid-November. One interesting tidbit is that the 3 drive-in National Park Service campgrounds are free - highly unusual for the Park Service. I camped at the Merriweather Lewis CG but arrived after dark and left early so I didn't see any of the displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I've read both right 'cheer on this here intermess......so yeah, they heard gunshots and he was dead. Remember 1809 forensics and crime investigation wasn't like on NCIS!!! There was a LOT of criminals and drunken shots fired along the Trace.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

then you need to go back and check it out
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

One of my cycling friends leads a cycling tour on it from Memphis to Natchez. Our cycling club does an annual Natchez-Trace Century. It is a nice ride but don't know about walking it.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I have considered hiking it; but I worry about so many "stealth" campsites next to a road. The Nimblewill Nomad posted a journal of his Natchez Trace hike: http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey_2003.htm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    nope - but i've always wanted to bike it. actually, i've always wanted to bike the BRP but the Trace is a lot closer to home. how was it? what sections did you do?
    We car camped and day-biked out and back the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. The riding was easy, the traffic was light, and the pavement was in incredibly good condition. David biked the BRP in early June. That is a pretty grueling ride. The huge descents are made even more hair-raising by some sharp, blind turns and rough pavement. The bit of the NTP we rode was smooth and had great lines of sight so you could let yourself go. It doesn't begin to compare with the BRP as a physical effort--it's much more just a pleasant ride. David is probably going to ride the whole thing next year.

We camped at Fall Hollow and rode a bit north and a bit south of that.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    I have considered hiking it; but I worry about so many "stealth" campsites next to a road. The Nimblewill Nomad posted a journal of his Natchez Trace hike: http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey_2003.htm
    Thanks for that link! I knew someone must have hiked it. I should have figured it would be Nimblewill Nomad.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

I grew up on the Trace and peddled many a mile on the lovely path. however, I wouldn't recommend hiking it unless you like walking on pavement. Also there are very few places to camp - even stealth camping. Biking it is great, but several bikers are killed on it each year. Be cautious and have a sag wagon if possible.
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

I've driven it, and it was a really beautiful drive--- the Trace however is parallel to the road over some of the park and is a pathway. The park is VERY narrow at points and I would be wary of biking the road--- I don't remember much of any sort of shoulder and much is just a two lane road. The speed limit is something like 40 or 45 but I spent much of it going faster (bad I know) since there was no traffic. I think Hiking may be problematic as you would end up hiking on the road a lot of the way. --- Call them up and ask-- the park rangers give a practical answer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by searust View Post
    I've driven it, and it was a really beautiful drive--- the Trace however is parallel to the road over some of the park and is a pathway. The park is VERY narrow at points and I would be wary of biking the road--- I don't remember much of any sort of shoulder and much is just a two lane road.
    I've also driven it and I have biked portions of it. MANY people bike the Natchez Trace every day. Local outfitters are set up just to rent to and support bicyclists. I think hiking the Trace would be very problematic, as only short portions of the footpath, here and there, still exist.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I read that it was drug abuse that did him in.

Then again, I don't like to ascribe dramatic deaths to public figures, heroes, etc., if there's an alternative, down to earth, even boring explanation. For example, Alexander the Great more likely dying from fever than in battle, and Julian dying from same, rather than while fighting an enemy.

Would be interested in learning more about Lewis's passing.

I still want to hike the Trace, though, even if it's just in spurts. I suppose it would be akin to trying to drive Rte. 66, now broken up and not really extant in many places. I'd also be interested in learning about the bike tours mentioned in this thread. I don't do well in the heat (I had to move back north from Louisiana because of heat intolerance, not just a dislike, but really getting sick) so I'd have to plan for cooler weather.

Thinking of doing this over 2018 on weekends. My family lives south of Nashville, and further down the trace near Wayne County, TN. Anyone have thoughts/ concerns about a road adventure of this kind? I am a regular road walker, 8-14 miles most of the time with my pack on. The idea of making it a series of weekend adventures over the course of a year is quite appealing to me...Personal concerns:
    Stealth Camping
    Water - - At the waysides perhaps?

I know there are 4 free NP campgrounds but that still leaves a whole lot of nights to figure out..
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

In addition to the three automobile accessible campgrounds there are 5 bicycle only campgrounds which you should be able to use. Still not enough to meet your needs though.

MP 54 Rocky Springs CG
    MP 159 Kosciusko bicycle only CG
    MP 193 Jeff Busby CG
    MP 234 Witch Dance bicycle only CG
    MP 266 Tupelo Visitor Center bicycle only CG
    MP 327 Colbert Ferry bicycle only CG
    MP 385 Meriwether Lewis CG
    MP 408 Tenn Hwy 50 bicycle only CG

My understanding from bicycle touring journals I’ve seen is Park Rangers seriously frown upon stealth camping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++