WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Question Pacific Outdoor Equipment Peak AC Elite

I am looking at inflatable sleeping pads, and I came across this one: http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads/view/peak-elite-ac.

Two things. First does anyone have any experience with this pad? I have researched this and was surprised to find that most everyone who ordered it said that when they received it, it weighed less than the published weights. Specifically, I am looking at the 2/3 length. At 11 oz (or less) and 2.5" thick, this seems like a pad with pretty good potential.

Second, I placed an order for this on Black Friday. After a week, the charge was refunded, and the website said no longer in stock. I have only found one supplier who "claims" to have them in stock (at $30 more than any other listed price). But other than that exception, everyone appears to be out. Is this a really good deal (sold out), or is this no longer a viable product? Just wondering if anyone else has any knowledge of what is going on with this product.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

My full length pad was 10 3/4 ounces. I haven't had any problems with mine. Some people have had leaks, so returns might be why retailers aren't restocking these pads or perhaps POE has stopped making them permanently or temporarily while revising the manufacturing methods on these pads. I got mine on Amazon for around $60.

Fwiw, I would buy mine again.

Images

I have one of these coming as a replacement for it's a very faulty Ether Elite which was it's predecesor which I took on a thru hike. The old pad leaked from multiple places where they heat sealed the baffles. I am hoping that this was a one off problem because there were at least a half a dozen holes, all in areas that couldn't be caused by thorns or other sharp objects. The other problem was that the insulation was separating from the top surface. Again, hope that was also an isolated incident. Bottom line, it was the least satisfactory pice of gear I carried on my hike.

As far as the price, I think I paid about 65 on Amazon when I bought mine about 6 mos ago.

I use a hammock most of the time, but I have one and so far it's held up well after about a dozen nights of going to ground. There was a long thread on BPL and lots of folks had had issues, but so far myself and a friend that also has one haven't had any trouble.

Images

I don't think there were a lot of folks in that thread that had problems, but three or four very vocal people. The problem seemed to be as much about warranty service as the leaking pads, but that seems to be resolved now.

Images

I've had mine for about 2 months and have used it on several overnighters. I like it so far. Like the OP said, it says 14 oz on the box but actually weighed right at 11 oz on my scale with the stuff sack and repair kit. Nice and light, packs up small, and is comfortable to sleep on. I really like the pad so far. I can't yet comment about durability yet, give me a few more months.

I got one last summer and it was fine and no leaks on receipt. Nice and light. BUT . . .
    then took it on ten day trip and after first night it started to leak such that I would have to wake up and reinflate every 90 minutes. A royal PITA. Would not get another one. I'm sure some have had no problems.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I got one last summer and it was fine and no leaks on receipt. Nice and light. BUT . . .
    then took it on ten day trip and after first night it started to leak such that I would have to wake up and reinflate every 90 minutes. A royal PITA. Would not get another one. I'm sure some have had no problems.
    This is my concern with any piece of UL equipment and I hope that my pad doesn't turn out to be "too good to be true". I really want it to work because it is indeed very light, comfortable, and reasonably priced. I "baby" it as well because its material is very thin. There were a few people that had bought early production runs (sounds like yours would have been one of them, as I believe they hit the market last summer) and had leaking problems. I hoping that those were identified and fixed in the manufacturing since then. I am planning on using it on the John Muir Trail this summer. I wouldn't want to replace my sleeping pad mid-trip, but its nice to know that I could if I had to. Thanks the input on your experiences with it.

++ New Posts ++