WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Do We All Like To Walk ?

I've noticed at Malls that lots of people will drive round - and - round , for 10 , 15 minutes or more ,
    to get a parking - spot that will save walking perhaps 50 yards or so .

Myself , I just drive straight - in , no matter how far , to make finding the car coming back easy .
    I don't care how far the walk is .

But , I'm wondering , how many here try to find the " closest " spot , even with no pack on their back ?
    Does a different " environment " or situation change our behavior ?

Be honest !! David V. Webber

Depends how much of a hurry I'm in when I need to go buy something.
    Usually I'm in a hurry so, yes, will take a closer spot if it's available.

Do we all like to walk?
    Those who are repeat thru hikers probably all do.
    Those who don't make it might not.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I always park far away. I enjoy the walk and the uncrowded spaces. If I'm in a hurry I walk faster.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

[QUOTE=DaveSail;1227980]I've noticed at Malls that lots of people will drive round - and - round , for 10 , 15 minutes or more ,
    to get a parking - spot that will save walking perhaps 50 yards or so .

Myself , I just drive straight - in , no matter how far , to make finding the car coming back easy .
    I don't care how far the walk is . But , I'm wondering , how many here try to find the " closest " spot , even with no pack on their back ?
    Does a different " environment " or situation change our behavior ?

ALL? Well the answer is obvious - you've just given it yourself.

ME? I LOVE to walk, as long as I have the time, which I often don't, and I love to walk in the woods and hills even more, but that takes both time and money, so I do it whenever I can, and when I can't, I'm here on WALKBLOG.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I usually chain my bike to "No Parking" signs But when I do drive I never look around for the closest spot, I'll take it if I see one as I'm headed out to the back of the parking lot. I get a kick out of those people that will just sit and sit...waiting for someone to move out of a spot. I also like parking under those trees that are usually out in the back of the lot.

If time is a factor then I just run. I'd save more time parking out in the back and running then looking for the closest possible space.

My wife will spend 20 minutes following people around to find a good spot. I keep telling her that it would be quicker just to park where there are spots readily available and walk the difference. Usually, it's not more than 200ft. I always laugh when I see people parked at the curb (blocking the flow of traffic) when there's a spot 40ft away. It's simply habit and everyone's on autopilot. Nobody wants to look around or think about what they're doing. Or walk an extra 10 feet.

The ironic thing is these people are all probably trying to lose weight.

Az

Images

whats great about where i live is everything is within walking distance(which is good because summer parking is not good).not to mention we have a 2.2 mile long boardwalk.I do enjoy driving, but i enjoy walking more, and to circle a lot waiting for a spot to open up , well only if i was listening to some song that i didnt want to turn off, otherwise id rather be walking than waiting.
    if you had a 2 mile walk into town, would you walk or sit and wait possibly an hour or more for a hitch?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by azb View Post
    My wife will spend 20 minutes following people around to find a good spot. I keep telling her that it would be quicker just to park where there are spots readily available and walk the difference. Usually, it's not more than 200ft. I always laugh when I see people parked at the curb (blocking the flow of traffic) when there's a spot 40ft away. It's simply habit and everyone's on autopilot. Nobody wants to look around or think about what they're doing. Or walk an extra 10 feet.

The ironic thing is these people are all probably trying to lose weight.

Az
    i find it just as hilarious to see people drive to the gym to walk on a treadmill when we have a beautiful beach as our backyard.

Malls?
    Do they still have those things?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by azb View Post

The ironic thing is these people are all probably trying to lose weight. Az
    The average American is lazy. That's why so many of us are fat. (that plus an abundance of cheap food).

"Diet in a pill" is still a dream of the average autobum.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I don't fool around looking to much.My daughter says gee dad could'nt park further.........next time i'll try to.There was a time some years back I could 'nt walk to the mail box now I walk every day,It helps to keep me loose and not creeked up.

Dave,

It is funny... I usually drive in close, look for a spot on ONE pass... then finding none I tend to drive to the back of the lot and THEN skip half a dozen or so spaces before I park. Looking at my vehicles, it is evident that it is not to escape 'dings' but rather something else. I guess it is not just a statement that I refuse to be enslaved to the competition of the 'World' but maybe it is something far more simple... or as you say;

I like to walk.

I walk to my job, in a parking facility. Gives me an hour of walking round trip daily. When weather permits I bike. Shopping, I start near the entrance and drive away until I find something. I don't give it much thought.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If I have to drive around for a good parking spot or have to park out in the netherlands, then the store is too busy for me. I go back home and eat left overs, then take a walk. Walking in a parking lot is a form of transit. I walk for fun, not transit.

Images

Farther the better. Less likely of someone dinging up my cars.

Images

I like to park far away so I can get a shopping cart, push it into a running start and ride it up to the store! I'm having fun and I'm saving the cart pusher a trip out to the far reaches.

My wife hates shopping with me.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

When someone asks me for directions and then asks "is it too far to walk?", I am never quite sure what to say other than, "Well.... that depends. Are you are a hiker?"
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

I like it.

I work at a golf club. We have a fitness center with treadmills and have people complain about the walk from the parking lot to the workout room. It is really funny.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++