WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    A hammock (basic, without netting) can be hung in a high/low fashion to make a very comfortable chair for lounging. You can make your own out of cheap nylon fabric and some nylon "climber's accessory cord" (5-6mm). Come to think of it, you can usually turn a hammock with bug netting over (if you make the ridge line removeable - Hennessy Hammock, at least), and do the same thing.
    A "bare" hammock and cord (or strap, if you prefer - I do) weighs just a hair over a pound and a half with straps, less with cord, and conforms to your backside like no chunk of plastic ever could.
    Yup yup, i've made two so far ... there are company's who sell mini hammock versions for gear lofts, chairs etc ... here is one that is only 7oz, holds 450 lbs and could be used as a pillow when not in use ... DUAL purpose = win win.

http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...Trek-5p689.htm
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Registered User Distracted By Stone's Avatar

HYOH

Trade off weight.

If easily reached off the pack for very brief rest just when you wanted, that would be a value / weight benefit alone.

At a campfire it would be wonderful to easily move as close or as far as wanted.

( I backpack almost ultra-light.)

When car camping : As you might imagine, we use EZ fold stools at the campfire .
    13" for me, 17" for my husband.

Images

there are plenty of logs and rocks in the woods that you don't have to carry.
    My thinking exactly.

It will also be difficult to secure that item so that it doesn't either flap around or poke you, not to mention getting caught on low hanging limbs.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    As someone who has sore stiff knees I find it difficult to squat and bend , so I may take my 16 oz folding stool on a weekend hike. But for a long hike every oz counts, plus if you have bad knees maybe hiking a long AT hike is a not good idea.

Mine looks like this one and weighs 16oz. Folds and fits on the side of my pack. On My two AT section hikes I left it at home and did fine. Each hiker has to decide if the luxury of an item is worth the work to carry it. I think that is called hiking your own hike.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Question Check this out...

From Instructables.com, (free to join) ...for the more flexible among us!
    Attached Files Attached Files

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

My bearicade cannister makes a great stool, drum, and protects my food from everything. 1 lb. 15ozs.

Dude, if it makes you happy, I say bring it. But realize 50 1 pound objects still weigh 50 pounds (a fact my students seem to have trouble with), as do 100 half pound objects. What you gain in stool weight might need to be offset somewhere else.

Get one of these: http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-stool.htm
    ..............just for the name. Sounds like an odd sport in some far away impoverished land.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    My bearicade cannister makes a great stool, drum, and protects my food from everything. 1 lb. 15ozs.
    This is exactly the kind of thing I would like to hike with, but all my hiking so far has been bear free-- plenty of Rattlesnakes and plenty of coyotes but no bear--- What else is there that one would regularly carry that you can use for a stool. -- the fold up ones are just puny to me and the one from the instructibles there looks like some sort of torture device-- I wonder if there is some sort of lighter canister type thing I could maybe stuff food/stove in or maybe stuff sleeping bag in to be able to carry it.

If its something you are willing to carry/use, go for it! Power to you. Not a bad idea, an extra pound is worth the weight for comfort. Besides, I've carried a lot worse in/on my pack. Bet the person sitting on that cold, damp, uneven rock would be jealous of your chair....and stamina and will....
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Jeez, just carry a bear canister. You can use it to do laundry. It'll protect your food from rodents. It makes a nice chair. You can float on it across a river. Keep your gear dry in a rain storm. So many uses that have nothing to do with bears.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

If you hammock and carry trekking poles you can make one like this:
    [/URL]
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

duplicate post - what???
    Last edited by Tinker; 12-22-2011 at 14:17.

http://www.adventurerv.net/ezfoldz-f...qcc8qhmj3353j5
    You can try one of these they hold up 300lbs and they do work, weigh less than a pound, I keep one in my pick-up. I wouldn't take one on a hike, as I use a piece of 1/2" HDF to sit on and at night curl it up a bit in a stuff sack with my fleece, makes a great pillow and stiffens up the pack when hiking.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Since there's lots of available options such as logs, your pack etc., I don't see the point of carrying anything without back support.

I for one am tired of finding camp stools. I wish people would bury them or pack them out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++