WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Boss said NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    grow a sac and just quit. jobs are a dime a dozen
    LW, you always crack me up with you 1 second comments, as lots of us love to hike and we love our jobs as well, maybe you don't care for either, but I wouldn't leave my job if my employer said no to the same request.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

my family bought a campground here in connecticut back in 85. my dad was the main cog and he gave his heart and soul to the job. we paid the campground off 15 yrs after buying it. when we were closing the place down at the end of the 98 season he told me he will have the camp paid off by the yr 2000 and that he was going to start living it up. well in march of 99 my dad passed away and was never able to live it up as he had talked about that previous fall....

life is way too short to sit around and DREAM about the perfect life. if you really want something bad enuff then maybe you should go get it. in the grand scheme of life everyone seems to think " the american dream". sure it is still out there but it is not what it used to be. most want to own a big house, why only to forclose and owe more then you went in with..college bills, why so that you can graduate and compete with millions of others for very few jobs. how many college grads do we all know that are doing something totally different than what they went to college for or have no job at all, lots.. college is not a guarantee anymore.

if you take 1 to 4 months off from work that is only a fraction of your life that you LIVE. the rest of it is work then get old and feeble like most. look at most of the older people that are still around. if they lived the american dream then why are so many older people in such financial trouble and also why do they have lots of medical issues. thats all you hear about these days. thats not an american dream. to me the american dream is to be healthy and free of major bills. keep life simple and it will be alot easier to ride...sure if your rich and well off none of this applies but how many of us are rich?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Yes, in sections. Coming out of flatland Illinois EVERY time. You take it slow for a bit and then extend. It ain't brain surgery.

IMO, most of those that quit early just do not like it, in shape OR out.
    I think ChinMusic is hitting close to home on this issue, as many thru-hikers I've met on the AT (and LT for that matter) are during the month of July when I hike on the AT and they are in shape (regardless of age), and have a good sense of hiking miles per day, gear quality and weight, etc., but its their motivation that counts each day. From many thru-hikers I've talked to (and read their posts here) hiking long distance can get boring and expensive, so its like anything else, do you enjoy your hike? Your job/career? Are you wise with your money? So....coming from the flatlands of Illinois, by the time I'm getting my trail legs, I'm done hiking (usually about three weeks each July), so my motivation is high, but I'm not hiking for five months either. Good points on this subject.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

when we were closing the place down at the end of the 98 season he told me he will have the camp paid off by the yr 2000 and that he was going to start living it up. well in march of 99 my dad passed away and was never able to live it up as he had talked about that previous fall....

I wish he was here to tell you that future plans, how he was going to live it up, were just future plans. That the years he spent working the campground, growing his family and living HIS life WERE living it up. There is always another path after you get to the clearing, if there isn't you'd get there and wonder why. Asking the boss for 6 months off. Really? If you are National Gaurd OR just being recalled I would understand such a request. Maybe high paid executives. If you have a year or twos worth of money built up and no other responsibilities yes, quit and go walking. When you get back after 6 months and have a year and a halfs pay to live on, then you have plenty of time to find another job. If your carrier is at a low level where you can get a job at Wendys next week and that's fine. You can quit and go walking.

For the rest of us professionals or skilled labor, not quite as much.

Don't worry bout your dad. I go today my only regrets will be missing out what happens with my kids and grandkids tomorrow. That's going to happen one day anyways, but I'd like to catch as many as possible. I can only imagine it's the same for most of us.

Note:

Dang, that's two fatherly advise threads in half an hour. I need to step back and shut up again. Sorry bout that folks. However Nitewalker, from your description it sounds like he had a fulfilling life, no big regrets. It reminds me of a commercial I saw a couple years ago. An old woman is surrounded by her family, pictures of everything shes done in her life, shes telling everyone hows she has no regrets, no desires and then she sees a woman through her window getting into one of those side less bathtubs. "Damn" she says as she falls to the bed and the heart rate monitor flatlines.

It's always like that. If we'd done everything we wanted, there wouldn't be any living to do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean417 View Post
    when we were closing the place down at the end of the 98 season he told me he will have the camp paid off by the yr 2000 and that he was going to start living it up. well in march of 99 my dad passed away and was never able to live it up as he had talked about that previous fall....

I wish he was here to tell you that future plans, how he was going to live it up, were just future plans. That the years he spent working the campground, growing his family and living HIS life WERE living it up. There is always another path after you get to the clearing, if there isn't you'd get there and wonder why. Asking the boss for 6 months off. Really? If you are National Gaurd OR just being recalled I would understand such a request. Maybe high paid executives. If you have a year or twos worth of money built up and no other responsibilities yes, quit and go walking. When you get back after 6 months and have a year and a halfs pay to live on, then you have plenty of time to find another job. If your carrier is at a low level where you can get a job at Wendys next week and that's fine. You can quit and go walking.

For the rest of us professionals or skilled labor, not quite as much.

Don't worry bout your dad. I go today my only regrets will be missing out what happens with my kids and grandkids tomorrow. That's going to happen one day anyways, but I'd like to catch as many as possible. I can only imagine it's the same for most of us.

so true!! okay , you got me. i suppose that is why i give my heart and soul to this camp. if it wasnt for what he did i wouldnt be so comfortable in life.im not rich but i can get by with the things i have and the family and friends that are around me. so i guess my job, family and my kids are what keep me from thruhiking the AT at the present time and next few yrs." I WILL THRUHIKE THE AT IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE"....i might add that working the campground from mid march thru october gives me december thru mid march to hike.

i guess my thought process was more of what everyone would like to do and not what we should probably do. the situation each individual is in would be the determining factor for quiting the job and hiking or staying put and keep saving for the future hike...OH, WHAT WE ALL WOULD LIKE TO DO!!! HIKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post

IMO, most of those that quit early just do not like it, in shape OR out.
    That's a catch all reason, "they don't like it." Why don't they like it? One reason they don't like it is because it's a serious strain on the body. People start out of shape, over weight, muscles hurt, joints hurt. Who likes that? There are lots of reasons people quit, but few people like pain.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    I think ChinMusic is hitting close to home on this issue, as many thru-hikers I've met on the AT (and LT for that matter) are during the month of July when I hike on the AT and they are in shape (regardless of age), and have a good sense of hiking miles per day, gear quality and weight, etc., but its their motivation that counts each day..
    If they started in March or April, of course by July they're in shape, and have been motivated to get that far along. Does it take motivation to get from NH to Katahdin, even for those that have hiked 1700 miles? Of course, but by that point they know what it takes and have hiked 4-5 months already and I doubt they're quitting because they don't like it. By that time they're more likely to quit for other reasons, miss their SO, illness at home, boredom, ran out of time, broke, injured or physically spent, etc.

There are a 100 reasons why people quit, but the real reasons are more specific then "I didn't like it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That's a catch all reason, "they don't like it." Why don't they like it? One reason they don't like it is because it's a serious strain on the body. People start out of shape, over weight, muscles hurt, joints hurt. Who likes that? There are lots of reasons people quit, but few people like pain.

If they started in March or April, of course by July they're in shape, and have been motivated to get that far along. Does it take motivation to get from NH to Katahdin, even for those that have hiked 1700 miles? Of course, but by that point they know what it takes and have hiked 4-5 months already and I doubt they're quitting because they don't like it. By that time they're more likely to quit for other reasons, miss their SO, illness at home, boredom, ran out of time, broke, injured or physically spent, etc.

There are a 100 reasons why people quit, but the real reasons are more specific then "I didn't like it."
    How about "It's no longer enjoyable"?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    How about "It's no longer enjoyable"?
    I guess that depends if it was ever enjoyable, and why it's no longer enjoyable.

It's no longer enjoyable because.... ?

"My feet hurt and I can no longer stand the pain." "Hot Lips left the trail and I miss her" "It's raining too dam often" "I can't stand stinking like ****" "I started a fat slob and I'm still a fat slob"

Ther are a 100 reason why it may no longer be enjoyable.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I guess that depends if it was ever enjoyable, and why it's no longer enjoyable.

"My feet hurt and I can no longer stand the pain." "Hot Lips left the trail and I miss her" "It's raining too dam often"

I think "no longer enjoyable" encompasses all of the reasons you mentioned and you don't really have to break it down past that. No fun = no fun no matter what the reason.

Just like quitting because of an injury includes any injuries... You wouldn't have a separate category for "left knee injuries", "right knee injuries", "left ankle injuries", "right ankle injuries", etc. Quitting because you're injured is all you need to know.

But, to the point - quitting is quitting regardless of the reason.

Images

"My feet hurt and I can no longer stand the pain." "Hot Lips left the trail and I miss her" "It's raining too dam often"

I think most (that do quit/stop) just get tired of hiking, camping, and living in the woods after a however many weeks. They get their fill of hiking, the wilderness experience, etc. Sure you could break it down more into wet, cold, hot, dry, uncomfortable sleeping, bugs, minor injuries . . . but for most it is likely a combination of many little things that adds up to the same major thing. They miss their "normal" life more than they are enjoying life on the trail.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    that he was going to start living it up. well in march of 99 my dad passed away and was never able to live it up as he had talked about that previous fall....

?
    I had the wonderful opportunity to hike with 3 sobos this year for @ 50 miles, one couple told me his father worked hard forever & his lifelong dream was to Retire & buy an RV & travel all across America. He retired, bought the RV, it sat in his driveway for 2 weeks, never moved & he passed away. This couple made a promise to themselves at that very moment, they travel 5 months out of the year & do everything & anything they dream about & work the other 7months.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Personally, I'd like to see all the parts of the trail, maybe just some, you never know when 'more of the same' will turn into a piece of memory magic.

But to have to do it all in one pass? That means not as much to me and I've done timed events. I've done the IBA 1000/1500 ride on my motorcycle. I understand the sense of accomplishment. I also realize I jetted past places because of the time limit that I would really have preferred to spend the whole day.

If you start the trail and it's a race, then it's going to be a till something breaks or you're done thing. If it's an adventure, well, those have different mile markers.

Sly: I think we are saying the same things, just in different context.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I had the wonderful opportunity to hike with 3 sobos this year for @ 50 miles, one couple told me his father worked hard forever & his lifelong dream was to Retire & buy an RV & travel all across America. He retired, bought the RV, it sat in his driveway for 2 weeks, never moved & he passed away. This couple made a promise to themselves at that very moment, they travel 5 months out of the year & do everything & anything they dream about & work the other 7months.
    But again - these are one-off stories. I know people who worked hard to retire early and now travel all over the place and never have to worry about money, etc. for the rest of their lives.

I'm sure glad I worked my butt off for 20 years so I can check into my office in Wilmington from my Lazy-Boy here in Erwin and can hike pretty much whenever I want to at 50 years old.

Here's a story..... My inlaws raised 8 children, my father-in-law worked until he was 65 and retired, they sold their house and bought an airstream and hit the road until they got too old to drive. Sold the airstream and bought a little retirement home in Sarasota and lived out their lives in peace. I can never remember hearing my MiL or FiL voice a single regret for the choices they made.

Actually, I think my FiL may have been 63-64.... I'm not exactly sure how old he was when he retired but he was in his early 60's.....
    Last edited by 10-K; 12-24-2011 at 13:16.

Can't win this argument on this site, 10-K.

Someone could have the cushiest job in the world, making 6 figures a year, brand new babies at home, and the consensus of this site would be to quit the job, put the babies in 6 month day care, and go hike for 6 months.

Family obligations come first, a kick-azz vacation is way down on the list.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I have to opine here.

When you marry and bring children into this world, you do,in fact and in law, give up quite a bit of freedom.

When you do get around to hiking, you will find many of your compatriots are either:
    1. just out of school and single
    2. recently retired or nearly so with children grown and a fairly understanding, supportive spouse.

There is a reason for this.

My personal decisionwould be to section hike until I could break cleanly, with earned benefits intact.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

when my kids were younger, i never, ever would have thought to take off 6 months to go anywhere without them. so I introduced them to the places i love, and took them on day hikes. my older daughter still loves hiking, the younger, not so much.but as a father i would take spending time with my kids way, way ahead of a 6 month vacation, even a life goal.as a father, what could possibly be more important?

Last edited by 10-K; 12-24-2011 at 13:40.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rwood View Post
    Thanks for the support guys. I can make it 6 months w/o a job with creative 'accounting' but I can't quit. I'm closer to the end of my career than the beginning. Have a decent job (jobs are not easy to find), have wife, kids, mortgage, and kids approaching college age. The bad part is, that it's 'The Workload' excuse. And I KNOW that they can survive 6mos w/o me! I even convinced my wife and kids to support me being gone for 6 mos. I'll buy a lotto ticket tomorrow!
    Rwood- "The Workload Excuse", jobs are not entitlements. I would have to tell one of my employees the same thing, I hired you to work not keep your job open while you take 6 mo off and then the temp I hired that is doing a great job has to be let go because you need your job back.

Face it Dude, you signed up for life so deal with it. Give up a job, benefits, healthcare and leave your family while you go through md-life. Let me know when you plan this so we can get the word out so that someone who needs to support his family can apply for your position.

We all dream but you have to know where the line is in reality. Finish your career and when you are done and the kids are away from home then do it. Like it was said before, the AT ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

And just so you know. This is my plan when I'm done with work.

CaptChaos
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++