WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Boss said NO!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I hoped I'd find it... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...highlight=Nean

Same thread subject, pretty much the same people involved saying the same thing then as now - very predictable.

Since the above thread was posted everyone in my family has had a dental cleaning..

It's little things like this that make living a certain lifestyle appealing. It's not just about going hiking or not.
    Last edited by 10-K; 12-24-2011 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    There are a 100 reason why it may no longer be enjoyable.
    Yet, you seem to have no problem labeling "shape" as a "major reason" in the south (NOBO). I know it is just based on your gut feeling because you have nothing else. The numbers certainly do not support you. There are LOADS of journals with folks that struggled with the hills early on, that went on to finish.

Granted being in-shape in better than being out of shape. There is no argument there.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post

Face it Dude, you signed up for life so deal with it.
    LOL... I doubt he did that. I doubt anyone has done that. How many here have been fired or let go? Why should a employee be that loyal to their employer?

Images

i think hes talking about the fathr job, not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Yet, you seem to have no problem labeling "shape" as a "major reason" in the south (NOBO). I know it is just based on your gut feeling because you have nothing else. The numbers certainly do not support you. There are LOADS of journals with folks that struggled with the hills early on, that went on to finish.

Granted being in-shape in better than being out of shape. There is no argument there.
    LOl.. yeah, I gave specific opinions as to why most people quit in the early going and other reasons why they may quit after. Nearly eveyone struggles early. Those that are persistant, hike 4-8 weeks and get in shape, stick it out.

You come up with a catch all. Why not just say "they quit because", it's about a good of answer as they don't like it.

Can't you get any more specific?

Can't you get any more specific? No, because you don't have the experience.
    Sly - YOU are the one that came up with specific reasons (shape), NOT ME.

I have no specific reasons.

Sly - YOU are the one that came up with specific reasons (shape), NOT ME.

I have no specific reasons.
    Yeah, right I gave specific reasons, with failure to get in shape enough to be enjoyable number 1. There are other reasons of course but unless you can come up with something better, maybe you should accept my opinion.

There are other reasons of course but unless you can come up with something better, maybe you should accept my opinion.
    Do you REALLY believe that line of "logic"?

I think that is how some religions started.

Images

Since you said you were sure that they could get by without you for the entire 6 months the only thing you can do is "wean" them from you slowly...... start by calling in sick one day a week for 2 or 3 weeks..... then take 2 days in the same week, the next week show up everyday, but do next to nothing....... then the next week do nothing at all...... a couple weeks later try taking every other day off, AND if you can work that out with a week that happens to have a Holiday in it all the better. Just slowly work your way up to not coming in at all........ who knows, eventually, maybe they won't even notice that you've been gone for 6 months.... OR you will have been fired and have absolutely no excuse NOT to go hiking!
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    Since you said you were sure that they could get by without you for the entire 6 months the only thing you can do is "wean" them from you slowly...... start by calling in sick one day a week for 2 or 3 weeks..... then take 2 days in the same week, the next week show up everyday, but do next to nothing....... then the next week do nothing at all...... a couple weeks later try taking every other day off, AND if you can work that out with a week that happens to have a Holiday in it all the better. Just slowly work your way up to not coming in at all........ who knows, eventually, maybe they won't even notice that you've been gone for 6 months.... OR you will have been fired and have absolutely no excuse NOT to go hiking!
    We can do "blue font" on WhiteBlaze, right?

Images

LOL... I doubt he did that. I doubt anyone has done that. How many here have been fired or let go? Why should a employee be that loyal to their employer?
    Sly - sorry, I'm talking about getting married, children, home,etc. not the job. Even my position can be outsourced in a Ny min.

CaptChaos
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i think hes talking about the fathr job, not the other.
    Hiker boy - thank you. I just did not say it well.

CaptChaos
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I asked for a LOA, was denied, so I quit my job to thru hike.

No way in he11 I'd do that in todays economy. Especially with family dependent on my income.
    And this right here is the point. In today's economy, i think you are NUTS if you do that. If you work at Walmart as a cashier..maybe. But if you have a good CAREER with senority and good benefits, you are out of your mind to quit. AND..will you try to find work AFTER your hike? If so, explain to a potential boss how you quit your other job after so many years just to go hike in the woods. Im sure he would see you as a great candidate to hire. (note the sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Wow, someone not spreading fear. Actually around here trade jobs, plumbing, electrical, small scale carpentry are going begging. My theory is that wages are so low, people stay on unemployment as long as possible keeping the fear mongers supplied.
    It's not fear, its just simple common sense! I didnt read all the posts, so i dont know if this guy said where he works. Is he prepared to quit,..right now....and NEVER work again? Meaning, are all his debts paid off, next egg all set, retirement money all set, college funds all set, fool around money all set? Can pay for his own medical insurance? If he is just all set money wise and doesnt need to work again, then yeah..quit. but if he still has bills, things he wants to do, and also is hoping to work again, i think its nuts to leave a good job with benefits. I find it downright irresponsible. Like i said, if its Walmart or something, maybe. But good jobs are hind to come by now. The trail isnt going anywhere.

meant to say hard to come by..

What if my 16 year old son wanted to quit high school to go hike the AT - should I let him because thousands of teenagers die or become disabled every year?

Point being, just because something might happen doesn't mean that something is going to happen - in fact, most things people worry about never happen at all.

Of course, someone wins the lottery so theoretically anything is possible but it helps to understand probability.

Images

10-K, You're confusing the issue with facts.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I never thought that way until this thread, but I would have to think twice before hiring a former thru for a key position.
    And I plan on being a "former thru" after 2013.

I never thought that way until this thread, but I would have to think twice before hiring a former thru for a key position.
    And I plan on being a "former thru" after 2013.

I think you could tell pretty quick which kind of former thru hiker you were dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I think you could tell pretty quick which kind of former thru hiker you were dealing with.
    That's true.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++