WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Attaching socks to pack to dry?

What's the best (also thinking lightest) way to attach your socks to the outside of your pack to hang-dry? I have a Golite Quest pack and it is pretty minimal on the features. Some kind of clip? Safety pin? A strong clothes pin? I just don't want to lose them if they fall off.

Images

I use a blanket pin so secure mine. It is like a big safety pin.
    without love in the dream it will never come true...

Garlic
    Images

I always carry a few large safety pins. I also use them for first aid (blister care, splinter removal) and temporary gear repair. Don't leave home without them.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

just picked up a pack at wally world!

Images

The lightest way is to hang them from the shock cord or straps already on your pack. Unfortunately it's not the most secure way to hang socks, and I've lost a couple socks this way. Safety pins probably work better, but I haven't tried that out yet.

Safety pins will work, and they're good for attaching a bandanna to the back of a baseball cap in sunny weather to minimize red neck. I'm sure that they have other uses, too. They aren't stainless (unless you're willing to pay much more for them), so be aware that they can stain fabrics if they get rusty.

I never had much luck drying socks on the outside of my pack, but I have to try anyhow. After a rain, even if the sun comes out, the foliage is still wet for most of a day, and I always manage to keep the socks nice and damp by brushing them against the wet leaves.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

The best way is whatever ad hoc way seems to work at the time, though carrying a couple of large safety pins is IMO a good idea that costs very very little weight. Sometimes I've pinned things (socks, underwear, whatever), sometimes just trusted the shock cord on the back of the pack, sometimes held things down with the top strap on my pack. I've never lost anything this way, and I've dried clothes quite often along the trail, but I expect my number will come up at some point.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Safety pins. Next to a bandana, I think these are some of the most versitile things to have with your while hiking.

I have heard diaper pins work great. It is not very easy finding them any more, though. I wish I would have kept them from when my son was a baby.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Renee' View Post
    I have heard diaper pins work great. It is not very easy finding them any more, though.
    Then you don't know any quilters! LOL Go to any fabric store or sewing section and ask for quilting pins. They are even better than diaper pins, because they are bent and easier to put through flat fabric.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

i use safety pins like others have said...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I drape my items to dry over my side compression straps. Cinch the straps up and they stay secure. Half way thru my day I move them around a little.

Quote Originally Posted by tribes View Post
    I use a blanket pin so secure mine. It is like a big safety pin.
    One of the most unknown little gadgets out there. I think I observed them the first time in a CCC exhibit in a state park. You will find them on Campmore.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Around and about...

Quote Originally Posted by rjhouser View Post
    What's the best (also thinking lightest) way to attach your socks to the outside of your pack to hang-dry? I have a Golite Quest pack and it is pretty minimal on the features. Some kind of clip? Safety pin? A strong clothes pin? I just don't want to lose them if they fall off.
    Love this question and have a personal interest in the outcome of the informal poll, as I lost a LLBean Hiking sock someplace on the Iron Mountain section.

Obviously my technique of just tying them in a knot was unsuccessful and should be avoided.

I will be interested to see what wins out. Personally I switched over to a tiny bungee (~4" loop). Probably an overkill, but better than listening to wife give me a dig for loosing one of the $15 socks.

Rainman, you must be married to a quilter! Of course we have pins. For quilting, they're called basting pins.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee' View Post
    I have heard diaper pins work great. It is not very easy finding them any more, though. I wish I would have kept them from when my son was a baby.
    I have two diaper pins from when my oldest daughter was a baby( she is now 44). The clasp part is a pink bunny rabbit. Now I have a good use for them..thanks Renee.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I also just use a compression strap already on the pack and pull it tight around the mid point of the sock; depending on the pack, I've used side straps or one that went over the top. Never lost a sock that way even on a thruhike. Frameless packs carry better if they are full so even many lightweight packs have at least 2 somewhere that can be used. If you own one of the very few UL packs that don't have a strap that can be used, I guess a large safety pin would be the best.

If you really want to dry your socks fast, don't use those really thick heavy hiking socks. Also consider using ankle high socks instead of crew socks. The less material, the less time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    Rainman, you must be married to a quilter! Of course we have pins. For quilting, they're called basting pins.
    I can confirm this, my wal-mart had the large safety pins and they were labeled "Basting Pins"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    Rain Man, you must be married to a quilter!
    Guilty quilty wife, as charged! Trail name is Stitch.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++