WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default 1 treking pole or two?

Which do you prefer, using a pair of treking poles or just one? Does it really make a difference?

Images

a pair but I have old knees
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

A pair. 2x during my thru, I broke one and hiked a bit with just the in-tact one. Much preferable to have 2.

I've used a single and now I use two. I prefer two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    a pair but I have old knees
    +1 here.. and if you use them correctly two will be much easier to keep a rythm going. But if your 20 YO, trip and fit you may not need them at all.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

You don't need any truth me told.

I hike with a real wood staff just to give myself something to do if that makes any sense. Using 2 slows me down. And every time I hike I eat an apple at the 4 mile point. Can't eat an apple while using 2 poles.

Images

I use to hike with a hickory stick I cut and fit to my liking. I still have it, but I hike with a pair of Leki's now. I am much faster when need be with 2 poles. I have no issue with hiking and eating. I just tuck one under my arm, eat with the free hand and keep on keeping on.
    I like the additional stability of 2 poles when on rocky uneven tread, up and down hills and they come in handy for water and log crossings.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

It's whatever you feel comfortable using . I either use 2 or 0 depending on the terrain .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Can't eat an apple while using 2 poles.
    Also, can't alternate a cold hand in your pocket while using two poles. Incidentally, I thru hiked with two poles, but now I use none. I found that I just didn't need them.

After many years of hiking with none, I now use 2 all the time. I find them particularly useful on steep, rocky, rooty descents where they really help me with control. They're also very helpful when fording streams. There are times on rock climbs when they get in the way and I just carry them both in one hand, switching hands as necessary. Also on smooth, mild climbs or descents, I often just carry them in one hand...it's just makes for a nice break in the routine.

Two works best for me. I now have a tent that requires two poles knowing that I will always be backpacking with two.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Default None

They cause more falls than they stop, it's something else to trip over. With your hands in the straps it prevents you from using your hands to arrest your fall. They also won't help you climb up the hill any better. We are bi-peds, we walk upright on 2 legs. It won't shift the weight to your upper body. It's all an illusion. The only thing you get is the honor of lugging the extra weight of 2 sticks and the honor of being duped by equipment sellers. It's the perfect accessory to make the modern hiker look fashionable in the photos. They will soon be made by Gucci and cost a thousand dollars. More than 90% of all AT hikers have fallen for this fad.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    They cause more falls than they stop, it's something else to trip over. With your hands in the straps it prevents you from using your hands to arrest your fall. They also won't help you climb up the hill any better. We are bi-peds, we walk upright on 2 legs. It won't shift the weight to your upper body. It's all an illusion. The only thing you get is the honor of lugging the extra weight of 2 sticks and the honor of being duped by equipment sellers. It's the perfect accessory to make the modern hiker look fashionable in the photos. They will soon be made by Gucci and cost a thousand dollars. More than 90% of all AT hikers have fallen for this fad.
    But, but...all the hikers in Backpacker Magazine are using 2 poles and Backpacker Magazine knows all.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    More than 90% of all AT hikers have fallen for this fad.
    At least. I don't use the stupid things bit if I did the first thing I'd do would be to put my name on them somehow.

Images

So, um, if they aren't helpful and are only a recent fad, why do some of the earliest archaeological finds show evidence of humans using walking staffs / poles?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I guess the same os true about a bicycle....that is until you learn how to properly use them.

Referring to the "falling" of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    So, um, if they aren't helpful and are only a recent fad, why do some of the earliest archaeological finds show evidence of humans using walking staffs / poles?
    Protection against dinosaurs since bear bells hadn't been invented yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Protection against dinosaurs since bear bells hadn't been invented yet.
    Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

2, 1 or 0? It depends on a lot of factors.
    1) Trail conditions. I find they are very handy on rough trail especially steep downhills.
    2) Snow. If there is going to be snow on the route then poles are useful.
    3) Stream crossings. VERY helpful on tough stream crossings.
    4) Interaction with other gear. I use them for my tarp so not much weight penalty. I also have setup a quick tripod to hold my bivy screen off my face.
    5) Personal preference. Some people can get a rythem, some can't.

If none of above factors were in play for me then I wouldn't take any poles. I personally don't see a point in using 1 poles other than entertainment.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++