WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: sandals?

Journal Entries

Default sandals?

Looking at different shoes to do a full thru hike in and have done several weekend long trip with vibrams they are lovely but does anyone have experence with legit huaraches? how they would hold up and so on?

Luna Sandals (http://lunasandals.com/) have competed in multiple marathons. I'd say they'd be fine for hiking.

Images

You may want something other than sandals 9or at least an option) depending upon when you start unless you like wearing sandals in snow.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

ive ran in my lunasandals huaraches and it takes a little getting used to, but much more preferable than shoes to me. as for hiking, only done a 7 mile hike with them and again, preferable if only for the sweat evaporation qualities. not to mention i didnt even notice they were there weight wise. easy to repair and multiuse. easy to clean also.
    Planning an April 2012 AT Thru for my 26th BDay!!!! Be patient with me!

Laziness is Creativity's evil brother. -Me

Journal Entries

What version of the luna sandals did you do your hiking? which sole and lace style do you wear while hiking? As i look at different shoes im just very unhappy about most shoes i try on for running/trail running or just for trail use. Ive done 30+ mile hikes with 25lb packs in Vibrams but the straps on the top leave my foot bruised in a weird way so i feel like this is the last option for before going complete barefoot. I plan on leaving in the first week of April and prolly bring a nice set of socks for my sandals

Timmy, try loosening the straps all the way on the Vibrams... mine were MUCH more comfy after doing this since when hiking that much your feet tend to swell a bit.

Also, they are not huaraches, but have you looked at Chaco's? My hiking partner thru VA last sept. used them and had nothing but good things to say about them.

Images

I've done a few thousand miles in Bite Sandals. They have a nice little toe bumper to protect you from the rocks. Great for streams and you don't need camp shoes. You need a lite pack of course. I wouldn't want a 40 pound pack with no real support. I switched to trail runners eventually though because I just found them nicer and the weight is not really noticeable. Those heuraches would be ok on the PCT but the AT would beat up your feet a bit more.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I've hiked for several years in Teva sandals. Love them, wouldn't trade them for anything. (Granted my husband hates the fit of Tevas and uses Keen's instead).

Images

Don't know how much hiking you do, but most sandals cut into your feet - I thru hiked with boots and carried Birkinstocks as in-camp footwear -- now I hike in trail shoes and carry crocs - Tevas will cut a hole in your foot between your big toe and the next toe (the long one) - I've hiked enough in them to know not to do it. -- HYOH -- I mean, the Barefoot sisters did it barefoot -- but for comfort and happiness, I stick with shoes

Journal Entries

Default thanks

@dillard thanks i will def try loosening my straps and look into that brand as well! do you recall what model?

@bamboo bob my pack before food and water should be right at 5lbs so unless im carring 35lbs ill should be good.

@shoelesswonder i will look in to tevas, which model do you like best for trials??

@papa d thanks for the advice but i would never carry camp shoes, ever. i love walking in the woods barefoot at camp despite the temp unless it is well below freezing, also is not weight suave.

My teenage son wore his Keen sandals:
    2009: 55 miles - Harpers Ferry to PenMar (through Maryland on AT)
    2010: 50+ miles - North Country Trail in Michigan's UP
    2011: 110 miles - SNP Rockfish Gap to Front Royal on AT
    2009-2011: EVERYWHERE inbetween!

Thankfully, he has no ankle problems. He had hiking shoes last summer in SNP but refused to wear them, carrying them on his pack.

I have these Teva's that i routinely carry 20+ lbs of rock climbing gear all over with no problems. they have a toe bumper and adjustable straps so they are pretty secure.
    Teva-Sandals.jpg

++ New Posts ++