WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Adirondack hike

Images

Default Adirondack hike

Where: Keene Valley, Adirondack, NY
    When: Jan 10 - Jan 15 2012
    Who: Anyone into cold weather hiking, has proper gear, knows what they are getting into.
    What: Doing at least 6 of the 46ers, hope to get in 8.

If interested, let me know, dogs welcome but it will be cold and they need proper gear also!

For planning purposes remember no open fires in the high peaks area year round. Makes for cold camping. Bring extra fuel.

Images

the campsite have fire pits. didn't realize you are not suppose to build them there....Ooooops..... In the rules its a one liner sayn "no fires for any reason. ".

no biggie, a little extra fuel to carry will be fine.
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 12-28-2011 at 10:13.

Images

this is rite from the adirondack mtn club

Major Regulations for the Adirondack High Peaks Wilderness Area

These regulations are needed to protect the wilderness resource from further decline and to ensure that conditions in the High Peaks Wilderness comply with the Wilderness Guidelines identified in the Adirondack Park State Land Master Plan. A brief synopsis of the regulations is listed below.
    Group Size
    • Overnight group size is limited to a maximum of eight people in the Eastern and Western High Peaks Wilderness.
    • Day use group size is limited to a maximum of 15 people.
    • Affiliated groups must maintain a separation distance of at least 1 mile (1.6 km) at all times.
    Camping
    • No camping above 4000 feet at any time.
    • Camping between 3500 and 4000 feet is limited to designated sites.
    • Below 3500 feet, camping is allowed at designated sites or at locations at least 150 feet (46 m) from any road, trail or water source. (In the Eastern High Peaks, to protect the resource, DEC strongly recommends camping only at designated sites or lean-tos.)
    Campfires
    • No campfires in the Eastern High Peaks Zone.
    • In the Western High Peaks Zone, campfires are allowed only at designated sites or at locations at least 150 feet (46 m.) from any road, trail, or water source.
    Miscellaneous
    • Pets must be leashed at all times.
    • Proper food and garbage storage must be observed.
    • No soap or detergents in any water body.
    • No disposal of food in any water body.
    • No use of any motorized equipment.
    • Skis or snowshoes must be used when the terrain is covered with 8 or more inches (20 cm) of snow.
    • Use existing outhouses or deposit human waste in catholes dug 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20 cm) deep and at least 150 feet (46 m) from any water body.
    • Quiet hours must be observed from 10 PM until 7 AM.
    • Glass containers are prohibited.
    Additional regulations may apply. Please review regulations at the trailhead before starting your trip.

Images

Yea, says it on the maps also. Last time we headed up to this area, the pits were built at the camp sites already.

Images

Lemme Guess.... LWolf, UWolf, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback, Basin, Perhaps Haystack and Marcy?? That's a tall order..... I hope you have fun!!!!!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Already have Marcy and some others....I have to do some zig-zag'n to get the ones I need. It is going to be long days tho. Night hiking....again.

Images

No one ready to start the new year off .......

Images

It snowed a foot and suppose to be 3 more days of snow before the trip.......going to make for a great trip........

Hmm, despite actively browsing I never saw this until today. It wouldn't have mattered too much anyway, I don't have the experience, know-how, or equipment for cold weather hiking. But I do want to get the setup, and learn / dive into it.

Images

I might be interested. I've never been to the adirondacks though. Which peaks are you planning on hitting? Got a link to a Trail map?

Knowing Rick, he's intending to do ALL of them at once.

I can't make it. I'm not in shape for a multiday mountain mashing expedition. Plus, I have to stick around to look for a job. Nothing hopeful in that department, yet, but the applications I have out there probably won't be read until the 2012 budgets are worked out at prospective employers.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-04-2012 at 16:14.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I don't have any links, I just bought the maps. I am bringing snow shoes, Crampons, and ice axe - at least to the trail head. They got over a foot of snow from what the forecast say and are suppose to get at least two more days worth before the trip starts. I've decided to do a different set of peaks, more challenging/scenic from what I've read. Algonquin Peak, Mt Golden, Mount Marshall......and what ever else I can add to it. Your more then welcome to join me, as long as your comfortable with the area, good on the gear.

Images

WW,
    If you are going to pick up Algonquin, then you might as well get Wright - an easy 1/2 climb from the trail junction just before you get out of the krumholz on Algonquin's shoulder. then go over Algonquin and down into the col and follow the herd path and get Iroquois. Another easy peak, seeing as you gained all the altitude to get to Algonquin....
    From there, you can make the decision to backtack and get Marshall another day, or go over Shepherd's Tooth on Iroquois and try to find a herd path to Marshall - that would make for a very long day, though......and if you cannot find the herdpath, you need to entertain the idea of bushwacking back down in the dark and trying to find the main trail.

Since you are going on the 10th, the trails will likely be broken out well from weekend traffic. If there is no new snow, you can pretty much rocket to the top of these peaks. Fresh snow will slow you down, but beneath, any existing trail will be hardpacked.

PS you will definitely have to have snowshoes or face a ticket /fine from a ranger (I have been stopped and warned in the past to put them on instead of keeping them strapped to my pack, even on hardpack - But I always carry them. You might also benefit from shorter snowshoes if the trails are hardpacked. I will normally bring my 25's or wife's 21's instead of my 30's if I know the trail is packed.....
    Last edited by Toolshed; 01-07-2012 at 13:44.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++