WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I carried my Droid X on the trail last year and will do it again this year. I listen to books. I can download new ones when there is a signal (often with Verizon). I don't keep my phone on so mommy can call. It is in airplane mode 95% of the time. I also use it as my camera, if it was off I would have to wait for the phone to boot up to take a picture. I carry two extra batteries almost never touch the last one unless I'm streaming music. I like my Droid because I can carry extra batteries. I also only carry a 6" recharging cable. Don't think Apple sells one that is that short. I love having one device that does it all. Why would I want to carry multiple chargers?

Haha! best blooper I've ever made.

Images

Default iPhone all day...just not on Verizon

Anything since the original RAZR by Motorola has been overpriced and unreliable (the RAZR was overprice as well but atleast it was reliable). I have worked in the wireless industry 10+ years so I have a little bit of experience in this arena. I've seen many of Motorola's phones come back to my stores over and over again. Android is cool if you're a real tech head (read nerd) and want to be able to fully customize every screen and write your own apps. I have fun playing with them but get bored with it in a week and go back to my iPhone. For 99% of people the capabilities of an Android phone are just way too much and they get confused and frustrated. Apple is and always will be (IMHO) the more popular of the two because of there ease of use and reliability. I tell people all of the time...."If my mother can use an iPhone then anyone can". On the other hand, Android takes some time to really figure out.

As far as the network you use it on. Verizon is a fine carrier but they do have limitations. I'll admit up front that I work for AT&T so that I don't get beat up for not mentioning this. The biggest issue....simultaneous voice and data. I know there are going to be people that dispute whether or not this is a big deal but if you use a smarphone as a smartphone it will at some point effect you. I know personally there are many times a week that I'm on a call and need to double check a fact in an e-mail before I tell someone the wrong information and am really happy that I don't have to hang up and call back. Or I'm using the natigator and answer a phone call and don't miss my turn. Trivial to some but not to me. Both Verizon and AT&T have great networks. Call quality will definitely be better in some areas with Verizon and other areas with AT&T so talk to people you know and find out which network works best where you use your phone most. Not necessarily where you live....where you use your phone the most. Also, find out what phone they're carrying as that can make some difference in how the network performs.

I hope this helps and does not come off as a plug for AT&T.

Images

I switched carriers from AT&T to Verizon because everyone says Verizon has better service along the trail. I also upgraded my iPhone4 to the 4S specifically for the Siri/talk to text feature. Instead of typing out my trail journal on a small keyboard, it will translate my speech into text. That was a deal maker for me.

Droid X 20 months zero problems.

Not into the entire I lifestyle. Isheep.

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

After much consideration, I'm now thinking about just cancelling my service and not even carrying a phone. That's kinda the whole point in hiking the trail, to disconnect from everyday life of phone calls, e-mails, videos, internet forums, facebook, etc. etc. I'll just carry a camera and maybe a mp3 player...be nice to unplug for a few months. If I need a ride I'll just bum somebody else's phone. lol.
    Fortune favors the brave--Virgil

Baron
    Images

I like the Motorola Phones, I never had a problem with my X, but that was just a place holder until the LTE phones came out(I picked up the Bionic w/extended battery). I wouldn't get a RAZR for the hike, no removable battery, which is the same reason why i wouldn't bring the iPhone. There's also a tendency for people to use their iphones as MP3 Players, and for whatever reason the iPhone 4S seems to run out of battery quicker than an Android equilivant if used as a MP3 player.

(My sister went from a Droid 2 to a iPhone 4S recently,and she claims that battery life on the 4S is much worse)

If you want a good phone on Verizon, get the Galaxy Nexus. It is, easily, the best smartphone on Verizon and on the market in general. The only reason why I would go to the iPhone is if you have a bunch of songs you bought on Itunes from 6 years ago when they still had DRM on everything, and they'll only work on iOS devices, and you don't want to take the time to strip the DRM off of them. Talk of the iPhone being "smarter" than Android devices is a load of bunk, IMO. No widgets, crappy notifications, doesn't play high-fidelity audio files like FLAC....blegh.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Quote Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
    Anything since the original RAZR by Motorola has been overpriced and unreliable (the RAZR was overprice as well but atleast it was reliable). I have worked in the wireless industry 10+ years so I have a little bit of experience in this arena. I've seen many of Motorola's phones come back to my stores over and over again. Android is cool if you're a real tech head (read nerd) and want to be able to fully customize every screen and write your own apps. I have fun playing with them but get bored with it in a week and go back to my iPhone. For 99% of people the capabilities of an Android phone are just way too much and they get confused and frustrated. Apple is and always will be (IMHO) the more popular of the two because of there ease of use and reliability. I tell people all of the time...."If my mother can use an iPhone then anyone can". On the other hand, Android takes some time to really figure out.

As far as the network you use it on. Verizon is a fine carrier but they do have limitations. I'll admit up front that I work for AT&T so that I don't get beat up for not mentioning this. The biggest issue....simultaneous voice and data. I know there are going to be people that dispute whether or not this is a big deal but if you use a smarphone as a smartphone it will at some point effect you. I know personally there are many times a week that I'm on a call and need to double check a fact in an e-mail before I tell someone the wrong information and am really happy that I don't have to hang up and call back. Or I'm using the natigator and answer a phone call and don't miss my turn. Trivial to some but not to me. Both Verizon and AT&T have great networks. Call quality will definitely be better in some areas with Verizon and other areas with AT&T so talk to people you know and find out which network works best where you use your phone most. Not necessarily where you live....where you use your phone the most. Also, find out what phone they're carrying as that can make some difference in how the network performs.

I hope this helps and does not come off as a plug for AT&T.
    Is the iphone the more popular smartphone? I was under the impression Android has them beat a couple times over.

As far as browsing the web while on a call, you can do this on Verizon 4G it's just 3G that you can't.

Iphone is simple and I think is the best choice for older people hesitant to get a smartphone. It also currently does not have 4G and apparently won't for another 6-7 months.

Also if you want to compare iphone to Android phones consider the newest Android update (Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0) which is supposed to be very refined and less 'techy' than any Android OS to date. The Droid Razr is still on the older version of Android but is supposed to get an update in February.

To add to the discussion about removable batteries, I think if I was on a thru hike I would consider one of those stand alone battery packs that takes AAA or AA batteries and plugs into your phone to charge it. With that you could grab fresh batteries when you are in town to charge your device. You could get one that runs off your headlamp battery size (likely AAA).

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    Is the iphone the more popular smartphone? I was under the impression Android has them beat a couple times over.
    It's tricky when you are comparing a hardware system (apple) with an operating system (android). There are half a dozen or so manufacturers making 40-50 different phone. If we are looking at total # of phones then android wins. If we are looking a software systems then apple wins (taking into acct iPad, iPod touch and iPhone).
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    It amazes me whenever I hear people talking up their IPhone or other device and bragging that the battery lasts the entire day!

I carry a TracPhone, turn it on when I need it, battery lasts two weeks easily.

I carry a Nikon DSLR, battery lasts a week and a half minimum. Extra battery weighs about an oz and adds another week and a half. I take quite a few photos.

On the few occasions I wanted music, I carry a dedicated MP3 player whose battery lasts for several days to a week, listening about an hour or two each night.

Why on earth would you want to limit yourself to a device that needs charging once a day, if you are lucky? Doesn't make any sense to me, even when at home.

No "do it all" devices for me thank you.
    Lyle a smart phone has a large lithium rechargable that lasts two 1/2 days on average use - text every 16 seconds - maybe 2 days. After a year it drops to one day.... then one should think about recycling.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    It's tricky when you are comparing a hardware system (apple) with an operating system (android). There are half a dozen or so manufacturers making 40-50 different phone. If we are looking at total # of phones then android wins. If we are looking a software systems then apple wins (taking into acct iPad, iPod touch and iPhone).
    My Motorola Droid runs on Google software..... I am happy.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

We have 2 iPhones and have had zero problems. We also have a Motorola Droid and we are on the second replacement. The other Android we have seems ok, but it doesnt compare to the Apple products.

Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    I am comparing iOS phones (iphone) to phones running Android, just phones not tablets or MP3 players. I was under the impression that there are many many more smart phones running Android OS versus iOS.

Images

I do believe that Android has been in the lead as far as quantity of phones running their operating system. When I stated that iPhone "Was and always be more popular" that was my opinion, which I stated, based on selling both operating systems with a carrier that has sold the iphone since its inception and Android based phones starting about six months after T-Mobile started selling the original Droid. Now, what you need to keep in mind is that until recently AT&T was the sold provider of the iPhone. What that means is that customer's that were loyal to Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint had no choice but Android since the other operating systems (Blackberry, Windows & Palm) were and still remain to be so far behind the curve. That's why I think the numbers are a little off. Give it a year, until everyone with Sprint and Verizon become upgrade eligible and get new phones, and then we'll see what's being used more. Sprint just spent $20 billion in order to have the ability to sell the iPhone and that says alot to me......

I do believe that Android has been in the lead as far as quantity of phones running their operating system. When I stated that iPhone "Was and always be more popular" that was my opinion, which I stated, based on selling both operating systems with a carrier that has sold the iphone since its inception and Android based phones starting about six months after T-Mobile started selling the original Droid. Now, what you need to keep in mind is that until recently AT&T was the sold provider of the iPhone. What that means is that customer's that were loyal to Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint had no choice but Android since the other operating systems (Blackberry, Windows & Palm) were and still remain to be so far behind the curve. That's why I think the numbers are a little off. Give it a year, until everyone with Sprint and Verizon become upgrade eligible and get new phones, and then we'll see what's being used more. Sprint just spent $20 billion in order to have the ability to sell the iPhone and that says alot to me......
    I don't see it happening. Iphone has been available at Verizon for a while now and Android is outselling them at an amazingly large clip. Apple products have never won in the market share category. They have their loyal audience and everyone else does what everyone else does.

I'm just not a big fan of Apple products. It seems like if you use one thing apple you really need to be using all Apple. I see the attraction if you use apple at work, you have a mac laptop at home and then an iphone and ipad but it seems like it has be to be all or nothing.

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

happily I made the switch from an iPhone to Droid razr. I consider myself a producer rather than a consumer. The iPhone is fantastic for most folks, but I like doing things with my phone. And the Razr is amazing! ! ! My number one consideration: removable memory and a file system that will allow me to send micro SD cards home to be backed up to a PC. Imagine losing all your data if you lost or broke your phone before making it home to back it up.
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Baron
    Images

You know how I know that you aren't too aware of the differences between the operating systems?

You're referring to anything with an Android OS as a "droid" ("Android based phones starting about six months after T-Mobile started selling the original Droid.")

:P

iOS devices, IMO, have cruddy notifications, the lack of widgets stinks, and, most damning for long distance hikers, no ability to remove batteries. At least with the infinity billion different Android devices you can find a formfactor you want, a connection(LTE, WiMAX, GSM, CDMA) you want etc. Apples main selling point is that "we make it really, really dumb and a walled garden. Also, lots of shiny, breakable, surfaces".

And I think Windows Phone 7 is the best OS of the bunch, but Verizon is treating it as the unwanted stepchild. Part of that problem is Win7 not having native support for LTE built in.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Images

Default Hmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    You know how I know that you aren't too aware of the differences between the operating systems?

You're referring to anything with an Android OS as a "droid" ("Android based phones starting about six months after T-Mobile started selling the original Droid.")

iOS devices, IMO, have cruddy notifications, the lack of widgets stinks, and, most damning for long distance hikers, no ability to remove batteries. At least with the infinity billion different Android devices you can find a formfactor you want, a connection(LTE, WiMAX, GSM, CDMA) you want etc. Apples main selling point is that "we make it really, really dumb and a walled garden. Also, lots of shiny, breakable, surfaces".

And I think Windows Phone 7 is the best OS of the bunch, but Verizon is treating it as the unwanted stepchild. Part of that problem is Win7 not having native support for LTE built in.
    Do you know how I know that you aren't too award of the differences between the operating systems?

You're wrong, on many counts. I don't typically respond to posts by starting of with a mildly antagonistic one liner but I figured I'd repay the favor.

First, I'm going to point out the error in my posting that you quoted. The "Droid" was not in fact the first phone T-Mobile carried that ran the "Android" operating system. Verizon was the first carrier to carry the "Droid" which was their first Android based phone. T-Mobile's was the G1 made by HTC which did run "Android".

Your first error was stating that the only time I mentioned the Droid was when I made the afore mentioned error. Other than that I only used "Android" when discussing the operating system....not the device.

Secondly, the Droid runs Android software....so even T-Mobile did carry the original Droid (which they didn't since it was a CDMA only phone and not a GSM phone like it would have to be to operate on T-Mobile's network) you'd still be wrong.

Next, the Droid actually launched almost a year after T-Mobile began selling the G1. Check the bible (phonescoop) if you'd like to check my facts.

I can honestly understand the down side of not being able to remove the battery on the iPhone in relation to thru hiker's and I'll even half agree with it. Though, it could easily be dealt with by getting something like the Mophie Juicepack which would give the iPhone a realistic 6 hours of extra battery life. Little more than the average battery and not much more expensive. Plus, it will protect all the "shiny, breakable, surfaces". I'm assuming you're talking about the glass on the back of the iPhone 4/4s since that is pretty much the only breakable surface that would be different from almost any other touch screen smart phone since they all have a glass front which is a "shiny, breakable, surface." Rather than being "really, really dumb" I would probably say that the iPhone is "really, really smart" since will do as much as any Droid (at least the things that 99% of users will use it for) while making it really easy to use. Walled garden? If you want to nerd the phone out, jailbreak it like so many people do, then you can really "play" with your smartphone.

Quite possibly the most revolting comment made was that "Windows Phone 7 is the best OS of the bunch". I used to love Windows, I carried the HTC Mogul, Tilt, Tilt 2, Diamond and quite possible a few more. These phones kicked ass because they were pocket sized computers that you could make phone calls from. With Windows Phone 7, Microsoft alienated their core user by eliminating everything they liked about their phones. I could rant for hours about these phones, which AT&T also treats as the "unwanted stepchild of the bunch", but it's honestly not worth my time. Briefly though: too reliant on Zune (which sucks ass), Bing as the search engine (which sucks ass), social hub will trash your contacts, no multi-tasking, no cut/copy paste, unreliable/glitchy OS. I've been given half a dozen of these phones that were all promised to be the best new thing (HTC Surround, Samsung Focus, LG Quantum, Samsung Focus Flash). I carry them for a week and then give them to my friends kids to play with. Unfortunatley for Windows, Apple iOS and then Android beat them to the market with superior products. A little too weak an OS and years too late Microsoft. The best thing I heard at the Windows Phone 7 launch party was when they announced that if Microsoft fails with this OS then they're getting out of the cell phone game....then they lauched more phones...also running Windows 7....

The iPhone 4S does take amazing pictures....

Default Vote for iPhone

I have and would again bring the iPhone on the AT as camera, music, books, AT guide, GPS, nature reference, weather forecast check, etc - and occasionally as a phone. With careful common sense battery management and a recharge from a 2 oz rechargeable external recharger (Richard Solo 1800 ma), I can go 8-9 days between electrical plug-ins. Long before that, I have usually hit a hostel or town. Have not used a Droid, but see no reason to change. I have the iPhone 4 and will go to the 4S when my contract allows because of the camera.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++