WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ice Axe

Default Ice Axe

Does anyone have any input on the Grivel Nepal Light axe or the new Grivel Condor axe that attaches to your trekking poles? Or do you recommend an ice axe, not for ice climbing, but for surviving the AT in NH and ME during the next 2 months.

American Idiot
    Images

No experience with either, but I do recall there being an axe with telescoping shaft and detachable snow basket... Camp perhaps? www.barrabes.es or other mountaineering oriented websites.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Images

I have never seen anyone with an ice ax on the AT.

Panzer

I met a ridgerunner in MA who carried an ice axe with him in the heat of summer.

Under normal conditions there's no need for one, but I think it might be a good thing to have in NH & ME in March.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by schwenkler
    ....Under normal conditions there's no need for one, but I think it might be a good thing to have in NH & ME in March.
    An ice ax is an essential safety tool on the high ridges of Maine and New Hampshire through March, and into April most years.

The summits tend to be glare ice much of the time, especially this time of year. Without an ice ax and knowledge for using same, a simple, routine fall can be fatal. One can slide hundreds of feet, in places, thousands of feet, all the while accelerating at 32 feet per second, per second. Well, until one of those glacier scattered boulders get in the way.

Weary

this is what I do: when it's steep enough to use an ice ax, I put away the poles and go to the ax. the spike is great for balance/purchase when used wisely and minimally in the ice ax-support position. The combination ax/pole can do this too (the combi pole tip is bacisally just a differently shaped adjustable spike) but the problem is, the combi creates the bad habit of climbing with the spike and overrelying on it...a big no no, as I 've been taught. Ideally, rather than pushing up (as with a spike) you should be more focused on pulling up with the pick and free hand instead. That said, the Nepal Light is a solid non-technical ax. And yes lots of opportunity/need in the Whites. C

The Grivel Nepal Light is the ice axe I took when I did early season Sierra hiking along the PCT. While I have never used an ice axe on any portion of the AT, I can say with clear certainty that the Nepal Light is everything you need in a lightweight ice axe in a non-technical setting. I had a hard time adjusting to a heavier ice axe for a long time afterwards. The Nepal Light is perfect for traveling in moderate terrain, but remember that you trade off some strength and durability for the lighter alloy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by icefanclub
    Does anyone have any input on the Grivel Nepal Light axe or the new Grivel Condor axe that attaches to your trekking poles? Or do you recommend an ice axe, not for ice climbing, but for surviving the AT in NH and ME during the next 2 months.
    Yes, an axe would be highly recommended for NH and ME in the next 2 months, especially if you will be above timberline or on steep terraine. I presume you know how to self-arrest.

++ New Posts ++