WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Safety on the AT?

I was recently awoken at home, in bed, by an unknown intruder(who stole a ton of stuff btw haha). It got me to thinking about the safety of thru-hikers on the AT. How safe do you experienced hikers consider the trail to be? Is tenting more risky than staying at a shelter or is it the other way around? Also what are some ways that you can make yourself more secure?(other than hiking in groups as opposed to alone)

Any other general safety tips would be appreciated!

Images

You are way safer on the trail than in any town. Granted it is not unusual for a hikers outfit to be worth about 1k When you add it all up. Pawn value is about nill. Even solo hikers make trail friends quick & are protective of each other. To steal a pack & hike out...robber is caring more than person robbed. Only place I worry is close to roads & towns. Carry cash ID on you there or on a hitch, if going into store ask if you can place your pack at serice desk or take turns shopping.

From the Companion...

Safety —

If you tell friends you are planning a long-distance hike on the A.T., one of the first
    questions is likely to be, “Aren’t you afraid? What will you do to protect yourself?”
    There are dangers in the backcountry, but, because of mass-media publicity and the
    popularity of backpacking, your friend was likely speaking of the dangers posed by
    other humans. Violent crimes have occurred on the Trail, with a frequency rate of less
    than two every ten years, on a footpath more than three million people use each year.

The difference on the A.T. and in any wilderness setting—other than people’s expectations—
    is that you only have yourself and your instincts for protection. That means you
    must use common sense to avoid potential dangers. It is best not to hike alone. If you
    choose to, a few precautions can help keep you safe:

• Don’t tell strangers where you are headed or plan to camp for the night; don’t post
    plans in real time on on-line journals or blogs.
    • If you run into a suspicious person, consider moving on to another location.
    • Avoid camping or staying at shelters that are within a mile of a road crossing.
    • Leave an itinerary of your trip with family or friends.
    • If you use a Trail name, make sure the folks back home know what it is.
    • Even with a partner, don’t be lulled into a false sense of security. Two or more can
    also be vulnerable.
    • Eliminate opportunities for theft. Don’t bring jewelry. Keep wallets and money on
    your person rather than in your pack or tent. Leaving a pack unattended at trailheads
    or shelters is risky, even when it is hidden.
    • Trust your gut. Always.

ATC and most long-distance hikers strongly discourage the carrying of a gun on the
    Trail. Guns are restricted (you can carry with all the proper permits but not legally
    discharge) on national park lands (40 percent of the route) and in many other jurisdictions
    through which the Trail passes. Report any crime or harassment immediately to
    the local police and ATC. Contact ATC at (304) 535-6331 or <incident@appalachiantrail.
    org>.

Further advice can be found at <www.appalachiantrail.org/safetyawareness>.

Safety seemed to be quite the concern for many of the younger hikers...

Meeting several times a day to discuss the matter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    From the Companion...

Safety —

If you tell friends you are planning a long-distance hike on the A.T., one of the first
    questions is likely to be, “Aren’t you afraid? What will you do to protect yourself?”
    There are dangers in the backcountry, but, because of mass-media publicity and the
    popularity of backpacking, your friend was likely speaking of the dangers posed by
    other humans. Violent crimes have occurred on the Trail, with a frequency rate of less
    than two every ten years, on a footpath more than three million people use each year.

The difference on the A.T. and in any wilderness setting—other than people’s expectations—
    is that you only have yourself and your instincts for protection. That means you
    must use common sense to avoid potential dangers. It is best not to hike alone. If you
    choose to, a few precautions can help keep you safe:

• Don’t tell strangers where you are headed or plan to camp for the night; don’t post
    plans in real time on on-line journals or blogs.
    • If you run into a suspicious person, consider moving on to another location.
    • Avoid camping or staying at shelters that are within a mile of a road crossing.
    • Leave an itinerary of your trip with family or friends.
    • If you use a Trail name, make sure the folks back home know what it is.
    • Even with a partner, don’t be lulled into a false sense of security. Two or more can
    also be vulnerable.
    • Eliminate opportunities for theft. Don’t bring jewelry. Keep wallets and money on
    your person rather than in your pack or tent. Leaving a pack unattended at trailheads
    or shelters is risky, even when it is hidden.
    • Trust your gut. Always.

ATC and most long-distance hikers strongly discourage the carrying of a gun on the
    Trail. Guns are restricted (you can carry with all the proper permits but not legally
    discharge) on national park lands (40 percent of the route) and in many other jurisdictions
    through which the Trail passes. Report any crime or harassment immediately to
    the local police and ATC. Contact ATC at (304) 535-6331 or <incident@appalachiantrail.
    org>.

Further advice can be found at <www.appalachiantrail.org/safetyawareness>.

Couldn't add more except the general comment that the further you are from civilization (like in a wilderness area or wilderness context) the safer you should generally be from people. One other little tip to remember -- if I shelter is closer than 1 mile to a main road, consider not staying there - especially on weekend nights - they are often attractive party spots for locals who might or might not be savory characters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Safety seemed to be quite the concern for many of the younger hikers...

Meeting several times a day to discuss the matter.
    Good for you - I discuss the topic with hikers I meet sometimes (mostly on-trail)
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-03-2012 at 08:25.

Let the paranoia begin! It's the thing that drives forum posts like "Should I carry a gun on the trail?" or "My parents bought me a SPOT device".

I say if you use the same skills you use to survive in everyday life you'll be OK. The fact is you can't control or predict every eventuality life or the trail will throw at you. So worry about things that matter like how much food to pack.
    Last edited by Spokes; 01-03-2012 at 08:49.

Images

just bring a safety pin.they really work!!
    common sense and instinct.

When you here banjos playing up in those hills, go home.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Let the paranoia begin! It's the thing that drives forum posts like "Should I carry a gun on the trail?" or "My parents bought me a SPOT device".

I say if you use the same skills you use to survive in everyday life you'll be OK. The fact is you can't control or predict every eventuality life or the trail will throw at you. So worry about things that matter like how much food to pack.
    thanks Spokes - all kidding about safety aside, people SHOULD NOT carry guns, big knives, pepper spray, swords, or any other weaponry on the trail (except maybe light sabers)

Images

The trail is as safe as the places it passes through. You are much more likely to be the victim of crime in or near a town than deep in the woods. Roads, shelters near roads as mentioned, and hitching also present opportunity for criminals. Leaving gear unattended anywhere is an invitation. Never leave your money/ID in an unattended pack - ziplock it and shower with it if you have to even at the hostel. The more people and the easier the access, the greater the potential for crime. I think you are safest when alone in your own tent camped away from shelters, roads, etc.

My only saftey concerns out Hiking are water, weather,food and my state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    The trail is as safe as the places it passes through. You are much more likely to be the victim of crime in or near a town than deep in the woods. Roads, shelters near roads as mentioned, and hitching also present opportunity for criminals. Leaving gear unattended anywhere is an invitation. Never leave your money/ID in an unattended pack - ziplock it and shower with it if you have to even at the hostel. The more people and the easier the access, the greater the potential for crime. I think you are safest when alone in your own tent camped away from shelters, roads, etc.
    ditto. I've only been given trouble when I stayed near roads. Good thing most criminals are lazy. Be friendly and have fun but don't trust anyone to anything. Be aware of your surroundings. Spend some time observing those around you. Pay attention to anything that might be suspicious. If you have to get up and move a few miles, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    people SHOULD NOT carry guns, big knives, pepper spray, swords, or any other weaponry on the trail
    that's your opinion but if folks want to they have a right to

It's my opinion that people shouldn't feed the bears, i.e. Hang their food

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Well, I think my "opinion" is pretty much in line with what the ATC, most accomplished and experienced backpackers and most people on this forum would say. I think folks that carry weapons around should be marginalized --- the ones that carry guns (except maybe bona-fide hunters with shotguns or something) -- I for one, avoid as I would sketchy people near roads.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    It's my opinion that people shouldn't feed the bears, i.e. Hang their food
    yeah kind of a dumb thing to do but folks have a right to hang it

Well, I think my "opinion" is pretty much in line with what the ATC, most accomplished and experienced backpackers and most people on this forum would say. I think folks that carry weapons around should be marginalized --- the ones that carry guns (except maybe bona-fide hunters with shotguns or something) -- I for one, avoid as I would sketchy people near roads.
    whatever. folks have a right to protect themselves

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

thanks Spokes - all kidding about safety aside, people SHOULD NOT carry guns, big knives, pepper spray, swords, or any other weaponry on the trail (except maybe light sabers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I'm impressed that this thread made it past 10 posts before the usual weapons debate started back up...To the opening poster, if you are thinking of carrying any sort of weapon, research the applicable laws in each state the trail passes through, they can vary substantially. That's all I'll say on the subject.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I think folks that carry weapons around should be marginalized
    Don't forget bear feeders, let's marginalize the people that hang food which causes such a safety concern that sections of the trail are closed every year now for at least the past two.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++