WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default How far(miles) should a beginner hiker expect to make per day on a long section hike?

Starting on Easter at Springer NOBO. How many miles would a beginner hiker expect to make the first few days? Will be at it for about 2 weeks and hope my mileage will increase as the days pass. I don't know any thru-hikers or section-hikers to ask.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Every body is different.

If I had to give an answer to this I'd say stop about 2 hours before you think you need to for the first week or so.

Journal Entries
    Images

At your age and with no experience I would shoot for doing 10 miles per day. I would not expect to do much more than that. Happy trails on your adventure.
    Grampie-N->2001

Have you ever backpacked before? If not, figure about half your dayhiking mileage - e.g. if you can dayhike 12 miles, plan on 6-8 a day to start out. After the first few days, you may be able to increase to about 10 mpd. Starting in April, you can expect some cold weather with possible snow/ice, so give yourself at least a day leeway in your planning.

Images

What kind of shape are you in and how much walking and running do you do?

I take 5 minute breaks once an hour. I've found that I'm faster this way.

Journal Entries

I have never hiked or backpacked. Have stayed in woods all day chasing turkeys. I am in just OK cardio shape and working on that now. Thanks for the replies!

Images

8 to 12, depending on fitness level and terrain (northern GA is pretty mountainous). I wouldn't expect it to increase much though during a two week trip. You're likely going to be sore on day three / four or so. Throw in the possibiliy of a blister or general knee pain and you will want to allow for a few easy days as well. Nothing wrong with starting late and stopping early a few days, especially if camped at a nice spot. Bring something good to cook, read the shelter log, etc, etc. Maybe you'll go a couple miles further each day by the end of your hike, maybe not. Just enjoy, don't push.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I had done a lot of section hiking before my thru this year and I started off doing 8 - 10 and slowly increased over a month. I purposely avoided doing over 20 a day after that even when I knew I could. Hike your own pace, don't try to keep up with the crowd.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I would layout my hiking schedule for around 7 or 8 miles a day. After you are out a couple days, you can always increase your mileage. With Neels gap only 3 or 4 days out, it is easy to adjust your food needs and mileage there. Those first few days will give you a better idea as to how far you will want to go each day until the next resupply.

Go easy your first two days. It will give you a feel for things to come and what you will be capable of. I recommend Springer to Hawk Mtn Shelter for your first day and then on to Gooch Mtn Shelter your second day.

Springer to Hawk is a short pleasant walk. Hawk to Gooch is short but you will get a taste of the typical ups and downs you will encounter the rest of your hike. After these two short days you will have a much better feel of what kind of mileage you will be able to do for the remainder of your hike.

Good luck and Enjoy!

There is a reason that most AT shelters are between 7 and 10 miles apart. This seems to be a good pace when starting. You may not want to stretch to far beyond 10 mile days after a week or so since the reason you are out there is to enjoy yourself and experience the trail. If you are into high milage take up marathon running not backpacking.

Journal Entries

Default Thanks

Looks like 6-10 miles would be a good start for me. I will use advice given, Thanks.

Images

Like everyone else said 8-10. But also be flexible....If you do 8 miles and its 2pm- keep going if you want to. Or, set camp without having to worry about it getting dark.

My wife hiked about 120 miles through part of VA last summer and she had never backpacked before. She had quite a bit of car camping experience and loved to dayhike in the five mile range. She did about 7 to 9 miles the first couple of days and then upped it to at least 13 pretty consistently. Our longest day was 17+ miles in almost 100 degree heat. Frankly I was amazed at how well she did. She developed a couple of blisters which she lanced and bandaged herself right in the middle of the trail. BTW...she's in her mid sixties. We plan on hiking from Springer to Harper's Ferry this spring/summer and from there to Katahdin the following year. We were originally going to hike right through but have decided we really want to take our time and thoroughly soak up all the trail has to offer. Good luck with your hike...it's addicting.

AT 2012

good question to ask -- i'd suggest that along with being careful about how many miles you walk you are also careful about how much stuff you carry. there is a direct connection between distance covered, walking comfort and weight carried. i'm not pushing ultra light here -- just suggesting you are thoughtful about what you carry.
    Lazarus

Images

Good responses everybody. I'd only add that this is going to be harder than youthink. Short of backpacking, I'd say themore slow, long distance running you do,the less daunting it will seem in the earlydays.

Journal Entries

Default depends

depends heavily on what you are packing, as well as physical shape.

lighter is definitely easier.

I'll narrow it down a bit, based on my own experience.
    Take whatever weight, naked, would give you a BMI of 22.5
    Divide that by your current wieght, plus all your gear and clothing, and half your consumables.
    Multiply that fraction by 20 miles per day.

So, for myself, ideally 165, currently 215 plus say 25 pounds of stuff. 20 x 165/240 = 13.75 miles per day would be a good estimate for planning purposes.

Go slow or a two week hike could end the second day. I wish I could remember this more often. I ruined a week long solo hike in the Smokies this year by doing 17 miles in 7 hours after driving 8 hours that morning.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'll narrow it down a bit, based on my own experience.
    Take whatever weight, naked, would give you a BMI of 22.5
    Divide that by your current wieght, plus all your gear and clothing, and half your consumables.
    Multiply that fraction by 20 miles per day.

So, for myself, ideally 165, currently 215 plus say 25 pounds of stuff. 20 x 165/240 = 13.75 miles per day would be a good estimate for planning purposes.
    Overthinking it. Especially if you've never hiked in NGA before. 7-10 mpd is a good estimate.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++