WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy How do you dig a 'cat hole' in frozen ground?

Really, what do you do when the ground is frozen and you can't dig a hole, and you really have to go? And everything is snow covered too?

Images

Poop and cover it with snow.

Images

Good time to burn tp with no fire danger also so less meww when it thaes out.

Images

rocks can be handy

Images

Turn over a rock if ya can, hence the turn "flop a rock"

Images

This is an excellent question - usually, when the ground is frozen (no snow), I try to find a big downed log (preferably one that has started to rot into the ground) typically, I'll lift this from it's spot a bit and reveal softer areas beneath - make my deposit with a tiny bit of TP and replace the log to continue composting.

S#$^ n your britches. come on, if you can't figure that out, well...........
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

If your on a section hold till you get home .If your on a thru,then hold it till you get to town.

Images

If it's in thru hiking season, I doubt you'll have problems digging a hole, even if there is snow all over the place. Remember that the snow is melting, and is doing it from the bottom up, so the ground is above freezing...at least during the day.

As far as truly frozen ground...

You could do one LNT practice and smear it on a rock and pack out the tp.

Flipping over rocks works. In very rocky areas I've resigned myself to flipping over a rock that wasn't really big or deep enough, and then making a rock mound over it when I was done.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    If your on a section hold till you get home .If your on a thru,then hold it till you get to town.
    I don't know about you, but I get fiercely regular after only a few days out on a section.

I don't mean to change the subject, but redirecting it might be a good idea.

Here's a thought - find a privy, maybe? They don't lock them for the winter.

Of course, I realize that there are shelter areas without privies, mainly down south, but I can't remember any place north of the DWG that you couldn't get to a privy within half a day or less, counting road crossings where there were public facilities within a mile of the AT crossing.
    Georgia had a couple of shelters/tentsites without privies, and I haven't done many miles between there and Pa. yet.

I like the idea of moving a log to deposit your own. I hadn't thought of that.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Moving a log to drop a log movement...

Or better still perhaps one could bring a halloween mask of a bear or other furry wood land creature and just ......pretend to be one,kinda like stick'in your head in the sand .We all love to do that from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Exactly, leave a pea-ny take a pea-ny.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Constipation: Being moved to tears. Oh, I know, I shouldn't have-----

but I found your tribute to the move a log to drop a log movement to be very moving.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Depending on the ambient temp. If Someone could wait for the ground to thaw from the heat given up by the "movement"perhaps a cat hole could be dug. Or allow to freeze and pack it out. Leave No Turtlehead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Constipation: Being moved to tears. Oh, I know, I shouldn't have-----

but I found your tribute to the move a log to drop a log movement to be very moving.
    "Ode to a Turd'

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    Really, what do you do when the ground is frozen and you can't dig a hole, and you really have to go? And everything is snow covered too?
    dig down to the frozen ground, crap then cover it back up. use a snow ball to wipe then toss it. animals will eventually eat it

Default You could use one of these

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Go in a creek. It's self flushing. (just kidding. We all know that's what happened to the Potomac).
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

I wonder what the record is for the distance a steaming human turd can melt its way down through snow. Obviously you would want very dry light fluffy powder, and one huge steaming turd, streamlined in shape. There is probably a glacier out there with the answer. Maybe global warming will uncover it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++