WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

I have been in Canada since about 5 years ago so I have not been around long enough to watch that commercial.

I agree that it should be funny video though.

98 oak street, Noton MA. This is the address of the shooting.

The property backs up to the wood but is surrounded by three roads all within a 1/4 mile. Not a place to be shooting a 50 cal ball shot moving at 2000 feet per second.

News report tonight that Mrs. Blair is not improving and her wound is infected.

Also looking at Massachusetts gun law it is not legal to discharge a weapon within 500' of a occupied building without the owners permission. Looking at the satelite image this hunter would need permission from many homeowners. The more you look the worse it gets. This was not a hunting area, just a bit of woods behind a residential neighborhood.

A news article states that she was a 1/4 mile from her house. North is a golf course. South is a school. West is a residential area. East is across the street with some houses and woods.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    A news article states that she was a 1/4 mile from her house. North is a golf course. South is a school. West is a residential area. East is across the street with some houses and woods.
    rastraikis you have been doing your homework. You would definitely make a better cop than this guy and I don't mean it in a sarcastic way. He should have done "his" homework.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

98 oak street, Noton MA. This is the address of the shooting.

The property backs up to the wood but is surrounded by three roads all within a 1/4 mile. Not a place to be shooting a 50 cal ball shot moving at 2000 feet per second.

News report tonight that Mrs. Blair is not improving and her wound is infected.
    http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/x...tional-surgery That sucks

I had no idea the size of the can of worms I opened.

I feel very bad for the woman, and less and less about the hunter. I guess anyone would have been in tears when he called 911 after shooting someone he mistook for a deer. regardless of how much a blunder he made. The tears were genuine, I'm sure, but the guilt must have been overpowering. No matter how sorry he feels, it can never change the fact that he pushed the limits of the law in many ways, and he is unfit to enforce the law upon others at this point. Can he change? Maybe. Lots of people do.

Pray for the woman, and for justice to be done.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

It does appear that from google satellite view http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com....ed=0CCUQ8gEwAA that even though the area behind the home is wooded, while not impossible, it would be very difficult to maintain a 500' distance from any inhabited structure. As a former hunter, not a place I'd really expect someone to be hunting.

@Tinker inre "can of worms". No big deal. It is a discussion board after all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.It is my understanding that PA 58 code 135.41(c)specifically deals with hunting but I sure can understand how the language reads is not specific enough.
    Actually, it's quite specific. That's why it specifically says "when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping". None of 135.41 deals specifically with hunting, it deals specifically with State Game Lands

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    58 Pa.Code 135.41(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to: * * * (21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

Quoted from http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapCtoc.html but you have to scroll down far enough.

The way this reads to me is that you are not allowed on state game lands on specified dates unless you are hunting.And if you are hunting,you must wear the orange as pointed out.the only exception is in writing from the director.Thanks for clearing that up bronconite.

Sorry Except on Sunday's.It's also Entirely possible that the director in writing has amended an allowed persons other than hunters to enter said lands on dates described and strongly suggests they wear hunter orange.But has it has not been entered into law as it is part of the directors discretionary duties.

The shooting took place on 12/31/11. According to your post below only hunters are allowed on the land from 11/15 to 12/15. She clearly had lawful permission to be there fourteen days after the hunter only timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by bronconite:1238551
    I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.It is my understanding that PA 58 code 135.41(c)specifically deals with hunting but I sure can understand how the language reads is not specific enough.
    Actually, it's quite specific. That's why it specifically says "when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping". None of 135.41 deals specifically with hunting, it deals specifically with State Game Lands

58 Pa.Code 135.41(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to: * * * (21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

Quoted from http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapCtoc.html but you have to scroll down far enough.

My post was not specific to the shooting in Mass.,it was just about hunting regs in PA.and I've read the thing 4 times ,any thoughts on the language?

Did not see PA. Sorry I thought you were writing about mass.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks:1238692
    My post was not specific to the shooting in Mass.,it was just about hunting regs in PA.and I've read the thing 4 times ,any thoughts on the language?

That PA law states that only hunters and trappers may be on game lands from 11/15 to 12/15. It also states clothing that the hunters or trappers must wear.

Quote Originally Posted by bronconite:1238551

no worries mate.

Images

That PA law states that only hunters and trappers may be on game lands from 11/15 to 12/15. It also states clothing that the hunters or trappers must wear.
    Uh ... as I read it, it doesn't say only hunters and trappers can be on game land. Just says others must wear orange.

... it is unlawful to: * * * (21) ... be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material ....
    Literally, it says you can't be there (1) when not hunting AND (2) failing to wear orange. Put another way, you can be there (1) when hunting OR (2) when wearing orange.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

My flippin head hurts.Getting a coffee,going for walk and will return later to publicly cut off 1 big toe.

Any possibility of getting that posted as a videi.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks:1238719
    My flippin head hurts.Getting a coffee,going for walk and will return later to publicly cut off 1 big toe.

I would bet money ($1) that this is lawer speak for only allowing hunters and trappers on the game land for those dates. When you read the entire exceptions part it comes across that way. The bet part is a joke in case betting is also illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man:1238705
    Uh ... as I read it, it doesn't say only hunters and trappers can be on game land. Just says others must wear orange.

... it is unlawful to: * * * (21) ... be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material ....
    Literally, it says you can't be there (1) when not hunting AND (2) failing to wear orange. Put another way, you can be there (1) when hunting OR (2) when wearing orange.

Rain Man

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++