WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Give you an example. 2 days ago, (jan 3 2012) Springer was 10 degrees at night. Yesterday Springer was -2 degrees. Today 56 and tonight 36. It changes drastically this time of year for the next couple months.

Yep, crazy weather in South lately. Starting in February? I'd worry about the black fly potential when you get to New England.

I always wonder why people want to start a NOBO thru in January or February. Is the compelling reason the fear of not making Baxter by the cut-off, the love of cold weather, or merely a scheduling mandate?

If I were to start a NOBO hike on that day, I would use the "dash and dive" method during the first 2 months. I would have someone I can call closely monitor the local weather and trail conditions. The idea here is to hike fast during periods of good weather and hole-up in a hotel or hostel during bad weather. I would also locate all possible egress points and cheap places to stay just in case the weather guy is wrong. About 2 weeks in you will encounter the GSMNP. This could be a problem that could require a longer than normal stay in a hotel or hostel. The GSMNP is a place where you can get trapped in deep snow and have few options. The South part of the park is a 4 day dash in good trail conditions and the North part 2 days. Wait for good weather then, "run Forrest run!". With all the up's and down's in the Southern Appalachians at this time of year, never sleep at high altitude when you can go a few miles further and be at a lower altitude. Huge difference between 5,000 and 2,000 feet in weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

I always wonder why people want to start a NOBO thru in January or February. Is the compelling reason the fear of not making Baxter by the cut-off, the love of cold weather, or merely a scheduling mandate?
    While there are few people who absolutely have to be done by a date certain, it is my strong opinion that fear is the reason for the really early starts. How long does it take to hike 2,200 miles? Until you've done it you really don't know. So some people start early just to make sure they are done by October.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    While there are few people who absolutely have to be done by a date certain, it is my strong opinion that fear is the reason for the really early starts. How long does it take to hike 2,200 miles? Until you've done it you really don't know. So some people start early just to make sure they are done by October.
    Which is ironic, since starting so early significantly reduces your chances of even getting out of North Carolina or takes so long, you don't gain that much over people who start a month later.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Good boots, gaitors, gloves, hand warmers(in the bag at night), a good book, a lot of extra money for hotels/hostels/food. Many people who leave early in the year end up going slow due to short days, snow, sleet, ice, and other inclement weather. People who leave a month later will catch you quicker than you think.

The trail is difficult in the best of conditions. Unless you have experience walking days in wet clothes in cold temperatures, and sleeping outdoors in 0-15 degree weather, with no place to get warm, I would not even consider February 1 as a departure date. The idea for me is to have a good time, not just to make the miles.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am leaving Springer on 2/18 -- Let us know what you are experiencing. Good Luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++