WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

im planning on hiking in 2013. i was going to start the last week of February. i was a little nervous when i first started planning my trip because i would be doing it alone. however my brother who thru hiked in 2003 told me that they'll usually always be another thru hiker or two no matter when you start. although i think it would be awesome to start out with someone around my own age for at least the first few weeks or even a month.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Most of the problems center around towns and alcohol.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

haha, alcohol is the center of many problems.

Images

Think 4evedbuzzard is right, the thru hiking community is a protective sort that take care of their own. That and all the trail magic and you should have a worry free trip, well cept the aches n pains, bugs etc. I section hike MD and southern PA alot, as well as do trail magic in the area. Best of Luck.

I would get your parents to spring for a Spot Satellite Messenger. It allows you to check in OK, send a custom message, call for help, or call for emergency services.

They run $150 for the unit, and then a $99 yearly subscription fee. So basically $250 will buy your parents a way to keep up with your journey and peace of mind knowing that you can call for help at any time.

Parents love this thing. It's a one-way device, so there's no "cord." You check in OK every night or whenever you want. Let them know, however, that sometimes a message won't make it out, so don't go tripping out if you miss a check in.
    www.mostinterestingmanintheworld.net
    "People see my beard and think I'm a bad mofo, but on the trail I'm just another hiker."

redheadedhiker674 & others,

Wow. With so many free thinkers here, or supposed to be the “hike your own hike” sort – Why are people trying to impose their desires involving her judgment of how to please here parents (or herself really)?

She has given ample justification for her desires, but why should she need to? She wants a partner, seems rather simple. Whether it is or isn’t safe really is of no concern. Her parents pay for her education (and housing) and obviously are concerned. If anything they are taking the side of caution. Um, good for her! (We NEED more parents who are concerned for sure.)

I too am planning a 2013 departure, however in mid March. I don’t think our paces would work out as I don’t plan on finishing until September XX. I do wish you luck in finding a partner, if that’s what you want and enjoying your hike Miss!

I would encourage you to post again, maybe in the 2013 Class forum which should open up in a couple months. I am sure you can find someone, or others to partner up with.

Cheers!
    ~ Mark

Images

My suggestion is to read some trail journals, particulariy Amish who did a thru hike last year (link is below). Very enlightening and shes got red hair go figure only about 3% of the population has red hair. And because I have white hair it doesn't mean I have wisdom. I am hopefully making the trip in 2013.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11353

Journal Entries
    Images

I actually read her journal, but I didn't really like it because I'm a stickler for correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Thank you, Mark! Good luck to you, too. KeyWest, that actually isn't a bad idea. I'm going to look into that.

I am just starting to plan out 2013. No set starting point yet, but maybe I'll see you on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by redheadedhiker674 View Post
    I actually read her journal, but I didn't really like it because I'm a stickler for correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Thank you, Mark! Good luck to you, too. KeyWest, that actually isn't a bad idea. I'm going to look into that.
    "I'm a stickler for correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation."

God bless you!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

^---I second that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by redheadedhiker674 View Post
    OMG - I was going to hike with you some but now that I know about the grammar, spelling and punctuation thing, I guess I'm not qualified -- totally unqualified most on WB would say!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    OMG - I was going to hike with you some but now that I know about the grammar, spelling and punctuation thing, I guess I'm not qualified -- totally unqualified most on WB would say!
    Haha, well you wouldn't exactly be using punctuation or spelling while hiking since you would be talking not writing, so I don't think it would be a problem!

Our daughter was 22 when she announced that she wanted to do a thru-hike. We agreed, as long as she would carry a cell phone. The arrangement was that we would not call her, she would only call us, and we would get three cell phone batteries -- one was charged and in her phone; the second was being re-charged by us back home; and the third was charged and waiting in the latest mail drop at her next Post Office stop. Did she always have a fresh battery and cell phone service?? Maybe not, but it gave us peace of mind, and also gave us something to do to support her hike. Talk to your folks, they might agree to a similar support plan, and feel more at ease.

Good Day. It is a beautiful Easter Morning. I would love to plan a thru - hike with you for 2013. I hope you don't mind a female hiking companion though. I am planning a thru - hike for 2013 and you would be very welcome to join me as long as you are okay with dogs. I have two very beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, Siberian Husky companions that will be tagging a long for the adventure. No fear, though. They will treat you like family. Let me know if you are interested

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

You might want to help your family understand more about the AT community and thru-hiking in general. A good place to start is the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Plenty of info online, live voices to talk to in Harpers Ferry, plus the AT Store where you can find out about LOTS of videos that are thru-hiker specific. You can buy 'em there or you can check out the descriptions and then search for less expensive (or free) alternatives. If you and your parents can get to Trail Days this year (May), some will undoubtedly be shown there.

I'll buddy up with you to start. My family is uncomfortable with me going on my own as well, yet after a person at the local gear shop told her he met tons of people on Springer mountain, she has rested easier. But, I am sure having a buddy would make both my parents even more comfortable.

I'm a little older than you, which would probably help your case, also a red head, and a lady.

I'm starting in late Feb/early March of 2013 or 2014, depending on a couple of factors. I know that I (as well as my parents) would be much more comfortable if I was hiking with a partner/group.

I am planning a thru hike on the AT in mid Feb. to early March as well. I have hiked through CO. Northern reaches of the PCT, and rain forest but this will be my longest hike yet. I had not planned on hiking with a partner for reasons stated above but I think it would be great to get started together if anything. This is the most popular trail in the world and we will be meeting lots of interesting people out there either way. I teach backpacking, canoeing and other outdoor adventure courses at UW-Milwaukee and the AT is a chance for me to push the envelope a bit and really challenge myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Well of course she CAN, but she also CAN do lots of other stupid things - she' s level-headed and wants to do what she wants to do which is good. Her best and happiest thru-hike will be one that she can convince her parents is safe and reasonable -- I had the same issues. She'll be best off with parental support but she can USE her rights and status as an adult as a trump card in their discussions as needed.
    I totally agree with you.
    I think that one of the best things that she could do to alleviate some of her parent's quite understandable angst is to have them join this site and interact w/ the kind of ppl that she'll be meeting on trail

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++