WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by redheadedhiker674 View Post
    No, I can't. My parents pay for my education and housing, so I can't just be running off doing thing without their consent.
    I kind of understand your pain redhead. I'm in college myself and am considered still "too young" by my parents to do anything. They won't even let me ever leave the country for study or a trip. What can you do though? They help pay the bills, and even if you are still in school, the gov' still sees you as their problem till your 21.

Anyways, scope around, try to talk with people. I see the benefits in hiking with a partner for the sole reason that you don't have to carry everything yourself. Having a partner means you can split up the equipment between the two packs and you carry lighter. That said, if you guys get separated, that might mess you both over.
    "It is better to be violent if there is violence in our hearts than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Gandhi

I actually read her journal, but I didn't really like it because I'm a stickler for correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Thank you, Mark! Good luck to you, too. KeyWest, that actually isn't a bad idea. I'm going to look into that.
    You are young and so I am going to give you some advice. You don't have to take it, but I can tell you that you will have a far richer life if you do heed my words.

You will find that on the trail, and certainly throughout your life, that wisdom comes in many forms. There are many, many hikers who have a wealth of important knowledge about hiking, but may not have been as fortunate as you as far as educational opportunities. The world is full of individuals who are brilliant in their field, but who are not "educated." I personally believe that almost every person I encounter can teach me SOMETHING if I listen. I mean no disrespect, but many hikers who are educationally "superior" in our society, don't have a clue about what it will take to hike the entire AT. I urge you not to pass up an opportunity to learn from someone because their punctuation or grammar isn't correct. Frankly, it's shallow.

Images

Hey Redhead. You sound like an intelligent young lady. I will tell you that all parents worry when you go to the AT. My first trip, when I was 46, my mother was sure I was going to die, be eaten by a bear and she'd never see me again! Just human nature I think. The bottom line is at some point, you have to make a decision to stand on your own two feet. You have to be responsible for yourself. This might be your first step toward being an independent adult. One thing I think we all learn on the trail is we can do and handle much more than we ever thought possible. Good luck. Be strong. Follow your dream.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

No, I can't. My parents pay for my education and housing, so I can't just be running off doing thing without their consent.
    My parents assisted me with the cost of my first degree. When I was 18, I REALLY wanted to buy a motorcycle. They politely told me that if I could afford a motorcycle, then I could do more to pay for my college. Let's just say I didn't get the motorcycle!

I think it is a good thing you are involving your parents in this decision. One way to help them over the 'hiking alone' hurdle is to plan and execute some weekend trips. Inform them of where you will be hiking, take lots of photo's, and share your excitement with them. Give them an opportunity to manage their fears in small doses. In time, I think you will win them over.

Technology also allows them to feel OK about your adventures. Discuss buying one of those GPS location thingies. Y'know, the one where you have a button that sends a text or email saying "I am OK." They also have a button that says, "I need assistance." Phones also provide a means to catch up with family on the trail. When I first started hiking solo, my parents were terrified (I was in my early 20's when I started solo hiking). I'd call and leave voice messages about the amazing views and tell them I wished they could share that experience with me.

I think that even to this day, they get nervous that I tend to hike solo in the wild. They keep that to themselves though and now encourage my travels. As you can see, I'm not a young hiker anymore. Parents will be parents .....

edit: I feel compelled to add that I'm also a red-headed hiker!
    Last edited by Live_for_hiking; 05-03-2012 at 11:51.

Hey everyone!

Sooo, my parents aren't very comfortable with the idea of me thru hiking by myself. Big whoop. Anyways, I need a partner for next year. I'll be leaving late Feb/early Match and am hoping to be done at the latest early August. I'm taking spring semester off from school, but I need to be back for the fall semester. I don't mind whether the hiker is a guy or a girl. Honestly, I'd probably like hiking with a guy better (as would my parents). I'm hoping to get a partner early, so that we could do some weekend hikes, etc. (maybe even section hike the AT some this summer) for preparation and to see how well we get along and such. Let me know if you're interested! PM me or just reply here. Happy hiking, everyone.
    I've tried to read through all of the posts, but I'm still not sure if you want a partner or if your parents want you to have a partner. Either way, as some have already alluded to, educating your parents is probably the best solution to your problem. Give/show them as much stuff about the AT as you can. Once they have a better understanding of what is going on out there, I'm sure they will be more supportive.

I beleive education solves all problems and it should easily solve your little problem. Good luck with your parents and the hike!

Due to a handful of difficult recent changes in my life I'm now mulling a 2013 NOBO thru hike -- I'm 27, have plenty of hiking experience, and my family is still going to freak out because they'll assume that wanting to do something like this in the first place means I've truly gone off the deep end. My solution is to tell them I'll have a means of getting in touch with them if I need to or if they need to (may do the satellite thing) and to assure them that I'll stop if I'm ill or injured. And to educate them as well and let them know that I certainly won't be alone.

I am 39 and my mom still worries when I go backpacking solo. She will still worry about me when I'm in my sixties. It is what they do!

Hi,
    I recently decided to hike the AT in 2013 Northbound. I have 8 years of experiencing camping/backpacking in California through Scouts. I am planning to depart in the middle of February or beginning of March depending on weather and logistics. Currently a college student in Orange County graduating Fall 2012. I am in a similar position that my parents are expressing an interest in going with other people for safety concerns, however, I will be going regardless. From my understanding the trail is full of affable individuals so finding a good group will not take long. Let me know your thoughts.

-Luke

Images

I would suggest you log on to WB, go to the class of 2013 and show your parents all the entries.
    Then explain that only a small percentage of the people actually thruhiking have registered there and then there are all the section hikers.
    Your parents will soon realise that crowding will be more of an issue for you than being alone.
    By all means link up with a few of the above entries to have a couple of people to chat to early, but tell your parents that you will use the skills they have given you to assess who you will hike with as you go along.
    By the way my 25yo son will be hiking with me (about 3-4 weeks behind you). He could do with meeting a sensible young lady or two......
    :-)

Images

I am in a similar situation. I'll message you my plans. Either way, good luck with your hike!

As someone who long ago walked 1000 miles on the AT when I was 17, I look back and think that it was about the best thing that I could have ever done at that age. The experience helped build an exceptionally strong body, plus a basic faith that most other people are friendly and helpful (vs the distrust we usually learn in cities). In fact it led to a career as a geologist, and travels all around the world.
    Get it while you can. Life tends to restrict you for most of your adult years. There are few windows of opportunity for such an adventure.

Images

I have to say that I think you're safer starting off alone than hooking up with someone over the Internet.

Also, in lots of other respects besides safety, people misrepresent themselves, or delude themselves, about their abilities, intentions, strengths, and weaknesses. You simply cannot trust the level of preparedness or fitness that someone tells you they have.

The essence of a thru-hike is self-sufficiency. Depending on a partner, especially one you pluck out of the air, goes completely against that core principle.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++