WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lejuene Hikers

Default Lejuene Hikers

Hey Im just looking to see if there any avid hikers on camp Lejuene or in the surounding areas. I think it would be awesome to start a group, or meet up and eventually plan a hike. So Let me know whos out there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailswag View Post
    Hey Im just looking to see if there any avid hikers on camp Lejuene or in the surounding areas. I think it would be awesome to start a group, or meet up and eventually plan a hike. So Let me know whos out there.
    Marine, don't you have Platoons and platoons and platoons of forcemarching Mean green fighting machines?

Images

http://hiking.meetup.com/cities/us/nc/camp_lejeune/

I really recommend you look into meetup groups. Per the above link, nothing is really close, but meetup groups can be joined from anywhere. You just drive to meet them where their trip is going, or car pool with someone.

Our Obsessive Compulsive Backpacker meetup group is based in Southeastern, VA, but we have members from all over the state, and they just meet us up in the mountains at the trailhead.

Images

Check out the Neusiok Trail located next to MCAS Cherry Point. Info on the trail can be found at www.neusioktrail.org
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Check out the Neusiok Trail located next to MCAS Cherry Point. Info on the trail can be found at www.neusioktrail.org
    + 1 on the Neusiok Trail which is part of the Mountains to Sea Trail. Here is a link to the proposed route by Jville. http://www.ncmst.org/wp-content/uplo...edarIsland.jpg

I certainly did some "hiking" there, but alas no longer.

Good luck with your group.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

I'm up for a Neusiok Trail hike. I'm only an hour to the south in Wilmington. I've been thinking about a single day flip flop of the neusiok which would be 40.8 miles. Or a two day flip flop would be OK too.

I went hiking in a large group at camp lenjune in the early 80's. it was led by some guy named Gunny who said we had to keep a movin. Its funny but they must hike a lot there. I think there is a secret hiking society because there were many people named Gunny and they all liked to hike. If you are into light weight hiking, avoid this particular group.

But seriously, sry the Carolina Canoe Club. There are tons of back country paddling options The Cape Lookout National Seashore is great for a paddle/hike/ backpacking adventure

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    I went hiking in a large group at camp lenjune in the early 80's. it was led by some guy named Gunny who said we had to keep a movin. Its funny but they must hike a lot there. I think there is a secret hiking society because there were many people named Gunny and they all liked to hike. If you are into light weight hiking, avoid this particular group.

But seriously, sry the Carolina Canoe Club. There are tons of back country paddling options The Cape Lookout National Seashore is great for a paddle/hike/ backpacking adventure
    Excellent......I never met an UL Gunny!

Ha yeah I have done just a few hikes in last 4 years coach! But Im just going to chalk them up as very long nature walks. Namtrag thank you for that link I must have skipped over it. I have done a couple day hikes on the nuesiok trail but nothing too serious. I would definatley love to do some more hiking in southern VA. Rasty I would be in for a hike in late august. Im leaving for california for a short while until then. Pm me if you would like to exchange info. Also I am starting to plan a short hike on mt mitchell over the 4 july weekend if anyone is interested

Images

Ha yeah I have done just a few hikes in last 4 years coach! But Im just going to chalk them up as very long nature walks. Namtrag thank you for that link I must have skipped over it. I have done a couple day hikes on the nuesiok trail but nothing too serious. I would definatley love to do some more hiking in southern VA. Rasty I would be in for a hike in late august. Im leaving for california for a short while until then. Pm me if you would like to exchange info. Also I am starting to plan a short hike on mt mitchell over the 4 july weekend if anyone is interested
    That's great....hey Gunny look at this little red salamander! Ha....my nephew is at the Stumps right now as a matter of fact. I think he will be going to Oki! I used to take walks in Croatan NF.

Images

Also I am starting to plan a short hike on mt mitchell over the 4 july weekend if anyone is interested
    I will be out of town that weekend but a great hike is North bound on the Black Mountain Crest Trail from Mt. Mitchell to Bowlens Creek. 12 miles and 3000 ft of elevation gain and 4000 elevation loss with 9 peaks over 6000 ft. Several loop hikes are possible also. enjoy

Yeah. But he's a Marine and therefore should do it from Bolens creek and go uphill. As for me that will be my Va Highlands weekend

Ha thanks for the advice. I think I will start up hill, turn around and using my night navigation skills head back down hill all in one day. haha

Word to the wise. Don't leave your car at Bolens Creek, the state park is safe. Spend a night on top of Winter Star Mt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Word to the wise. Don't leave your car at Bolens Creek, the state park is safe. Spend a night on top of Winter Star Mt.
    + 1 on camping on Winter Star and if you need a shuttle contact this great group of trail maintainers they might be able to help. http://www.nchighpeaks.org/

Hey, dude I'm at cherry point. Hit me up if you want to start to try to get a group together or just go for a hike. Maybe we could section hike part of the the at this fall or something. As for the nuesiok trail, pretty good scenery first couple miles but it's mostly flat. Can easily do all 22 miles in one long day or one overnight. I've done it twice so far.

Images

Just remember that the best time to hike the Neusiok Trail is during the fall/winter/early spring when the bugs are gone.

I use to be an active member of that secret hiking society. Went on one of those hikes where we were told to bring an extra set of boots in our pack. About 5 miles into the hike we stopped and were told to change boots,.... what you didn't bring that extra pair of boots like you were told, then I guess you will have to walk barefooted. I had my extra boots. After a couple of miles we stopped again and those whom did not bring those extra boots were allowed to put back on the ones they had taken off.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Just remember that the best time to hike the Neusiok Trail is during the fall/winter/early spring when the bugs are gone.

I use to be an active member of that secret hiking society. Went on one of those hikes where we were told to bring an extra set of boots in our pack. About 5 miles into the hike we stopped and were told to change boots,.... what you didn't bring that extra pair of boots like you were told, then I guess you will have to walk barefooted. I had my extra boots. After a couple of miles we stopped again and those whom did not bring those extra boots were allowed to put back on the ones they had taken off.
    The problem with the Neuiok trail in the fall is that the hunting season starts about the time the bug season ends.

be really careful out there in hunting season.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Very true about the bugs. They are pretty bad right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++