WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Thru Hiker companion needed for 2013

Hey everyone!

Sooo, my parents aren't very comfortable with the idea of me thru hiking by myself. Big whoop. Anyways, I need a partner for next year. I'll be leaving late Feb/early Match and am hoping to be done at the latest early August. I'm taking spring semester off from school, but I need to be back for the fall semester. I don't mind whether the hiker is a guy or a girl. Honestly, I'd probably like hiking with a guy better (as would my parents). I'm hoping to get a partner early, so that we could do some weekend hikes, etc. (maybe even section hike the AT some this summer) for preparation and to see how well we get along and such. Let me know if you're interested! PM me or just reply here. Happy hiking, everyone.

Here's the perfect Companion that should settle any of your parents fears...

2012CompWeb-2.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Haha, thanks but no thanks. It won't do any good.

Just get the maps to go with it, you'll be fine.

Seriously, the time you plan on leaving there are lots of others starting. If you can't find a partner beforehand, you'll likely have someone to hike with by the end of the first day.

You will be surprised at how quickly your parents will come around, just give them some time. As for people, as stated, depending on when you leave, you will be around plenty of people. Big Trail community GA-ME

Images

I thru hiked at age 18. I had a young friend who also thru hiked at age 18 --- 20 something years after me. I think you can do it but I also "get" your parent's issues. The problem with "partners" is that you have to deal with each other's hiking pace (and other issues) which is why partnerships often fall apart. If you want to private message me and we can coordinate schedules, I'll offer you a shuttle to the trail and I'll hike with you for a day or three -- there will be tons of people starting in March and although February can be colder, I really like the idea of you getting the biggest "jump" you can - maybe even February week 2/3? Anyway, there will be plenty of people and you'll fall naturally into one of many "groups" that will form -- a hiking partner might come out of this but at least you will be able to observe his or her habits and trail pace and determine whether you will actually like going on a long distance hike with whomever it it.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadedhiker674 View Post
    Hey everyone!

Sooo, my parents aren't very comfortable with the idea of me thru hiking by myself. Big whoop. Anyways, I need a partner for next year. I'll be leaving late Feb/early Match and am hoping to be done at the latest early August. I'm taking spring semester off from school, but I need to be back for the fall semester. I don't mind whether the hiker is a guy or a girl. Honestly, I'd probably like hiking with a guy better (as would my parents). I'm hoping to get a partner early, so that we could do some weekend hikes, etc. (maybe even section hike the AT some this summer) for preparation and to see how well we get along and such. Let me know if you're interested! PM me or just reply here. Happy hiking, everyone.
    you're 18. you're an adult. it's your call. you can join the military without their consent. you can walk a trail without their consent

Journal Entries
    Images

No, I can't. My parents pay for my education and housing, so I can't just be running off doing thing without their consent.

Images

No, I can't. My parents pay for my education and housing, so I can't just be running off doing thing without their consent.
    Yes you can.

"Cut the cord,get a job,and hike your own hike."
    Quote: My Dad
    Last edited by ALLEGHENY; 01-05-2012 at 18:14.

Images

I'm currently on a NOBO thru for this year, but it's based on medical clearance - essentially it's looking likely, but I have a procedure coming up that will make or break it. If I can't make it work for this year, I'll be looking at doing the hike next year.

As it's been pointed out, it's hard to plan a "partner" based on hiking pace and other factors. If I have to postpone until 2013, I'll let you know and see if we can meet up somewhere and hike for a couple of days to test how our paces match up. I tend to have a long stride, though, so I dunno how well it'll work.

Since you're a female, I'd suggest that you post a request for a hiking companion in the Women's forum.

And your forum name - It's nice that you have red hair. It may be a little too nice for those of the opposite sex (let's face it: red hair makes you, well, exotic - or at least a rare attraction in the world).

I can understand your parents' concern.

Find a good, solid female partner to start off with, even if you don't stay together. It will put your folks at ease, and I'm sure you love them enough to give them a little peace of mind.

Take care, be careful, and have a great hike.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    I tend to have a long stride, though, so I dunno how well it'll work.
    I doubt that will be a problem. Im 6ft and my legs are incredibly long. I keep stride with my dad who's 6'4. But, yes, let me know if that happens! (although I hope for you that it doesn't)

Images

Well of course she CAN, but she also CAN do lots of other stupid things - she' s level-headed and wants to do what she wants to do which is good. Her best and happiest thru-hike will be one that she can convince her parents is safe and reasonable -- I had the same issues. She'll be best off with parental support but she can USE her rights and status as an adult as a trump card in their discussions as needed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Allegheny, just for the record, I do have a job. Tinker, I've seen a lot of partner threads in the female forum that don't get replies, so I didn't want to post it in there. Also, I'm not looking for specifically a female partner, I'm just looking for a partner I can hike well with. And I don't necessarily want a partner for the whole way, just really for the beginning. But again, back to my parents, I'd like their support so instead of just taking off on the trail, I'd like to convince them first.

I am also planning a thru-hike for 2013 with a start around the time your planning and wouldn't mind a partner to start with. I did the VA section in 2011 with someone I met here on WB, so I have a bit of experience if you have any specific questions.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dillard View Post
    I am also planning a thru-hike for 2013 with a start around the time your planning and wouldn't mind a partner to start with. I did the VA section in 2011 with someone I met here on WB, so I have a bit of experience if you have any specific questions.
    Do you know around what day you'll be leaving? I'm hoping to leave Feb. 15. Would you mind a female hiking partner?

I don't have a firm date set yet since its still so far away, but Feb 15th or there about would be fine. Female hiking partner isn't a problem, my hiking partner thru VA was a female.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I hiked with someone you age this year. Her dad wasn't comfortable with her being on the trail by herself so he came along for a week or so. When he found out that everyone on the trail was cool he let her go on her own. Thru-hikers look out for each other and you're never really alone on the trail. My daughter is your age and I'd let her go if she wanted to. You just need to have the same smarts as you would in a city, avoid putting yourself in vulnerable positions, especially in towns.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

But again, back to my parents, I'd like their support so instead of just taking off on the trail, I'd like to convince them first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Since you're a female, I'd suggest that you post a request for a hiking companion in the Women's forum.

And your forum name - It's nice that you have red hair. It may be a little too nice for those of the opposite sex (let's face it: red hair makes you, well, exotic - or at least a rare attraction in the world).

I can understand your parents' concern.

Find a good, solid female partner to start off with, even if you don't stay together. It will put your folks at ease, and I'm sure you love them enough to give them a little peace of mind.

Take care, be careful, and have a great hike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Well of course she CAN, but she also CAN do lots of other stupid things - she' s level-headed and wants to do what she wants to do which is good. Her best and happiest thru-hike will be one that she can convince her parents is safe and reasonable -- I had the same issues. She'll be best off with parental support but she can USE her rights and status as an adult as a trump card in their discussions as needed.
    You sound like a pretty level headed ki--young adult redheaded. Sorry, I have adults your age Some good advice there from Tinker and Papa. Tell your parents not to worry (too much). You'll be around a lot of people starting out and there is safety in numbers. You will find that there will likely be some people who befriend you and keep an eye on you because you are younger than most. Don't take it as too creepy. There are a lot of natural "sheepdogs" out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++