WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default hammock vs. tent

I am a hiker that has only done dayhikes and I want to take it up to at least a two day hike. What is holding me back is that I can't figure out what equipment I need. I am a big dude. I am 6ft and 275lbs. and backpacker tents are small as well as expensive. I am trying to determine whether I should get a hammock which is easier to setup or a tent which is better for living in. What do you think?

Images

How light do you want to go? At the extreme end, sleeping on the ground weighs less.

I can't sleep in a hammock. There's always movement, and that keeps me awake all night. I've also grown accustomed to reorganizing my pack inside my tent. Storms can be a problem with a hammock since you're right under branches or trees that may fall on you, and while you can sleep on the ground away from trees, you need to have trekking poles or find branches, and you might be in for an uncomfortable night if you rely on an underquilt, and your top quilt too skinny to stop drafts. That said, hammocks have a nice advantage in staying clean since they never need to touch the ground.

If you're looking for a big lightweight tent, then look at the Lighthear Gear SoLong 6 and the TarpTent Stratospire 2.

It took me 4 days of forcing myself to sleep in a hammock before I was comfortable with it. After that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You're at the upper end of a lightweight hammock's weight capacity, and they do break. A GrandTrunk Nano 7 (300lb capacity) dropped me (175lbs) when it ripped through. It's a great hammock though...I mean 8oz...are you kidding? I'll take a fall from 3ft for something that stupid-light.

As far as comfort goes, hammocks are for fair weather only. No matter which season you're hiking in, you have to bring a rain-fly to accompany it. This is why you see Jamacians in hammocks and Eskimos in Yurts.

An alternative is to tarp camp. Get a Tarp with guy lines for your roof, tarp for the ground, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag. It's a cheap alternative to a tent.

The major advantage to a tent is fly-exclusion. We're talking no-see-ums, blackflies, and mosquitos. In a bad area, a tent is the only thing that's going to keep you safe from those little bloodsuckers. You can get netting for hammocks, but they'll still get you.
    www.mostinterestingmanintheworld.net
    "People see my beard and think I'm a bad mofo, but on the trail I'm just another hiker."

Images

The main advantage to a hammock is how comfortable you sleep. Off the hard ground/rock or shelter floor. For your size/weight, ENO or Ticket to the Moon (TTTM) has hammocks that will fit you very well. Check out hammockforums.net, which is an off shoot of this site, if hammocks are drawing your interest.

I'm 6'2", 200 lbs and have never slept better than when in my TTTM hammock! Just sayin'........

Images

I used a hammock for eight years. I never was able to get a good nights sleep in it so I am back on the ground. My advice would be to try out the hammock to see if its right for you before going deep in the woods with one. And have you ever set up a hammock? There is a learning curve, just like anything else. Good luck to you!
    skinny d

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

I switched from tent to hammock myself. I am 6'6" and 250lbs. Tent camping was always difficult, no matter what pad/mattress I used. I always had 'hard spots' - shoulders, hips, etc. Plus with my height and weight, it was incredibly difficult and uncomfortable to crawl up and out of a small tent. Switching to a hammock was hard to get used to, but as previously said, after a few nights I get used to it again and sleep soundly and comfortably. I can even sleep on my side (my preferred position) in my hammock. There are several brands that have models for big guys like us. I chose a Warbonnet BlackBird, Dbl 1.7. And, I saved about a pound versus the Hubba-Hubba that I used to carry. It's easy to set up and contrary to a previous post, I don't think it's a 'fair weather' only solution. I have spent dry nights under a severe thunderstorm and a snowstorm without a problem You do have to be conscious of what's over your head, but a tree could fall on a tent as well as a hammock. I am sort of fatalistic about that stuff and don't worry (if it's time, it's time attitude). Good luck. Test drive a hammock before you decide. Visit hammockforum.net for lots more information and expertise.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

Images

You are only going out for one night. I'd try a hammock. If it is a completely horrible experience, you can sell it for just about what you paid for it on hammockforums or here. Do a little research on how to hang though. There is a bit of a learning curve, and a lot of easy problems you can avoid if you know about them. Shug has great tutorials on youtube.

Otherwise, get a nice thick sleeping pad, like BigAgnes for the tent. Comfort makes your hike worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly bear 336 View Post
    I am a hiker that has only done dayhikes and I want to take it up to at least a two day hike. What is holding me back is that I can't figure out what equipment I need. I am a big dude. I am 6ft and 275lbs. and backpacker tents are small as well as expensive. I am trying to determine whether I should get a hammock which is easier to setup or a tent which is better for living in. What do you think?
    Research and more research...

I'm 6'1" 275# and just purchased a Warbonnet Black Bird 1.7 Double layer. I have it strung up in my basement and am loving it. Though that's not the same as being in the woods of course.

I got tired of the tossing and turning while on the ground and am hoping that this will be more comfortable. Looking to really try it in March and April so we'll see what happens.

Got the new book:
    The Ultimate Hang: An Illustrated Guide to Hammock Camping by Derek Hansen

The book has a lot of what I already knew from researching but is still well worth the read. I'd recommend it for anyone taking a look at hammocks.

Also, get over to Hammockforums.net and start reading, tons of information there too.

Good luck,
    -Stephen

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

IMHO the main advantage to a hammock is you can pitch it just about anywhere. rocky unlevel ground NP as long as you can find two suitable trees or pole/post. Most can also be set up as a tarp/bivey just carry a ground cloth. This allows you to hike till done and not rely on finding a suitable camp site. Do get a large tarp with one so you have room undoor it to move around out of the weather set up, cook, hang your pack, whatever. The hammock forum will help you deal with extreme weather. I currently use a free standing, double wall, two person tent with a large vestibule. Swiss Gear comparatable to the Hubba Hubba I am trying to save up enough for a Hennesy with tarp upgrade from what i can tell the weight is about the same
    Alcohol was involved!

Journal Entries

If you want an honest answer here it is. Got to invest in quality products if your gonna hike. Years ago when I started, I tried the easy fix stuff only to realize it was a waste of time and $$. Go to REI or Bass Pro Shop or somewhere you can get "quality" gear and put this step behind you so you can enjoy yourself in the backcountry.

There may be other ways, but I just prefer to do it the right way with the right equipment.

Images

I don't honestly think hammocks are easier to set up, nor are they lighter - you can get sub 3 (or even sub 2 lbs) in either. Hammocks can also quickly get more expensive than a tent, pad, bag combo if you do a lot of cold weather camping and you start to need underquilts and such as they can get pretty pricy. I'm converting to hammocking and there is definitely a learning curve. Make sure you set it up a couple of times at home first, and leave yourself at least a few hours or even more of daylight the first few times out in the field. A half day hike in and time to play with the hammock, make a nice meal and get settled in to the subleties of camping while hammocking ain't a bad idea. Play with the tarp, the height, etc. Bring a book in case you're a natural.

Site selection isn't necessarily always easier, just different. You still don't really want to camp over areas where there will be standing water, or where you'll get in and out over sharp rocks, steep areas, etc., even if you can. The plus is the ground doesn't have to be as good or level as required for a good tent set. The big plus - I find it more comfortable than even a neoair pad though. I'm 6'0", 190 for reference. The suggesting to watch Shug's videos is a good one as is reading up at Hammock forums, although they speak this weird hammock language that I don't understand sometimes - the gear terminology can be tough. Oh, and a oversize tarp like a hex MacCat or similar (doesn't have to that pricey though) is a plus - the stock size on the Hennessy's doesn't leave a lot of room for hanging out in inclement weather.

Images

X2 on the larger tarp for a hammock. I had the maccat deluxe and found it way better than the standard size HH. I could do anything in bad weather under the tarp. Just roll the hammock into the snakeskins and youve got oodles of room.
    skinny d

Ultimate Hang and Hammock Forums.net THOUGH Ultimate hang is really just a compilation of all the info you can get off HammockForums, but it's there in one source, as current as late last year. The guy did a fantastic job AND the e book version is updated from then.

I went from a Select Comfort bed to a Aerobed at home. The Aerobed was just as comfortable for a fraction of the money. Then I made a DIY hammock from instructions off of Hammockforums.net. I put a couple Eyehooks into my bedroom and set it up in there. I stored the Aerobed a week later having never needed it after first hooking up the Hammock. The swinging motion not only works for me IF I wake up during the night I generally stick a leg out, kick the treadmill and rock my rear end back to sleep. I bought a BlackBird 1.7 Dbl from Warbonnet for camping and a Superfly to go with it. Integral bug net, foot box for diagonal lay, shelf for storage and layer to stick a CCF pad into for cold weather that I've taken down to the Upper 30's with an insulated blanket with comfortable warmth. It works for me.

But as you've seen, some folks don't jive with a hammock. There are situations where you need to get out of the weather and there are no safe trees to be around or worse, no place you can sling your hammock altogether. You can sling your tarp up on your hiking poles and hunker down on the ground. In that condition you've gone to being a tarp camper. At Oshkosh last year, I took a Hammock stand BUT I was towing a trailer behind my motorcycle and was essentially car camping. Doubt anyone wants to carry along 20 pounds of pipes on any trail.

6 foot, you can get basic Grand Trunk hammock off of Amazon for 17 + shipping OR spend a couple more bucks and get a Warbonnet Traveler which is 6 inches wider and half a foot longer BUT at 60 for a single layer and 75 for a double and no bug net. My DIY is a 1.7 or 1.9 single layer. The Double will support more weight but I'm 2 inches taller and about 10 heavier and have no problems with that. The Grand Trunk would probably be fine to test out if you have a way to hang it around your house. But do check out Hammockforums to get as much info before you buy. There are plenty of manufacturers to buy from. A DIY by the way takes about 30 bucks of materials to sew so at the intro level buying off the shelf is cheaper.

Tried a hammock twice. The last time, I had a quality setup (Warbonnet stuff). It wasn't for me. I toss and turn all night when I sleep. It was too fussy to setup for me. I also couldn't get the picture out of my mind of some long-toothed animal taking a large bite out of my butt in the dark of night...felt very "exposed".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Tried a hammock twice. The last time, I had a quality setup (Warbonnet stuff). It wasn't for me. I toss and turn all night when I sleep. It was too fussy to setup for me. I also couldn't get the picture out of my mind of some long-toothed animal taking a large bite out of my butt in the dark of night...felt very "exposed".
    Beware of the saber-toothed chipmunks
    NutrageousScrat.gif

As many people have mentioned, it is not for everyone. However, I think if you can pick up an inexpensive hammock to try it out, that may answer your questions. For years I used a tent, and bought some pretty good ones. Then one time, I tried a hammock with mosquito netting ( a inexpensive one I bought at REI), with a plain cheap tarp. Once I tried it, I never looked back. Although some claim the costs are higher, or less, it all depends on how much you want to put into your set-up. You can always pick up a ENO hammock to take camping sometime. And if the weather is good, sleep out in it. Also, as mentioned by others, look at Hammockforums.net. And I would suggest checking out Shug on youtube. He is very entertaining, and very informative about hammocks. Good luck, and hope you can get your questions answered.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly bear 336 View Post
    Grizzly, take a moment to check out the tents at Lightheart Gear. I am probably about the same size as you and I am pretty happy with the Lightheart Solo. Lightweight and easy to set up, and I find that for me there is plenty of room. As fas as cost, I think that the cost is very reasonable, especially from a small operation. http://lightheartgear.com/
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Six View Post
    I switched from tent to hammock myself. I am 6'6" and 250lbs. Tent camping was always difficult, no matter what pad/mattress I used. I always had 'hard spots' - shoulders, hips, etc. Plus with my height and weight, it was incredibly difficult and uncomfortable to crawl up and out of a small tent. Switching to a hammock was hard to get used to, but as previously said, after a few nights I get used to it again and sleep soundly and comfortably. I can even sleep on my side (my preferred position) in my hammock. There are several brands that have models for big guys like us. I chose a Warbonnet BlackBird, Dbl 1.7. And, I saved about a pound versus the Hubba-Hubba that I used to carry. It's easy to set up and contrary to a previous post, I don't think it's a 'fair weather' only solution. I have spent dry nights under a severe thunderstorm and a snowstorm without a problem You do have to be conscious of what's over your head, but a tree could fall on a tent as well as a hammock. I am sort of fatalistic about that stuff and don't worry (if it's time, it's time attitude). Good luck. Test drive a hammock before you decide. Visit hammockforum.net for lots more information and expertise.
    Totally agree! I am a big guy myself, I switched from hard ground sleeping or napping, let's call it, to ham mocking two years ago and Never looked back! I too have the Warbonnet Blackbird Dbl and Love it Love it Love it. I sleep like a baby and never have to worry about waking up stiff and achey again. However, the hammock, top quilt and insulating under quilt must surely take up 80% of my ULA Circuit pack. The weight isn't the problem, just the volume! Worth it all though, I am toasty warm on these cold Virginia nights.
    "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
    -Fudd's first law of opposition.

My BLOG Site

A good test for you whether to even try a hammock is sleep on your floor instead of a bed if you can sleep on the floor for a few nights without any ill effects tenting is probably the way to go. The only reason I hammock and the majority do is for comfort alone

My setup:

Hammock 11oz. $20.00
    Tarp - Mac Cat spinnaker standard - 12 oz. with lines and stakes. $165.00
    Sleeping pad - none
    Underquilt - none
    Sleeping bag - Golite Feather-lite - 1.5 lbs (24 oz.) on sale at $175.00 (good to 30 degrees) - add Montbell ULAP liner @ 1# on sale for $165.00
    Bug net (when needed) 1lb. $50.00
    Straps and carabiners - 10 oz. $12.00

Total weight - 89 ozs. 5.56 lbs (includes sleep system). Total cost - $587.00

With a hot water bottle I have slept in 5 degree (F) weather in a 20+mph wind.

Reasonable?

Only two things have kept me from hanging:
    1) No suitable trees
    2) Tree trunks covered with poison ivy.
    Hammock and bag (before I switched to straps):
    [/URL]
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-10-2012 at 00:02.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++