WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Coin Operated Laundry...

I haven't used Coin Operated Laundry since college... 1993 to be exact. What does it cost to wash and dry a load?
    thanks in advance.

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Along the way, I've paid anywhere from $1.50 to $2.50 a load to wash - quarters only of course, and sometimes no dollar bill changer onsite (but usually). Drying costs vary a LOT depending on the heat/time the dryer spins (a $1 or more seemed to be common). Laundry detergent varies but is usually at least $1, sometimes more (again, in quarters). At some of the motels I found that the laundry detergent was only available through the front desk and not cheaply.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

How about the ones you have to buy a prepaid card to use? Ran into that in Rutland, VT.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan View Post
    Along the way, I've paid anywhere from $1.50 to $2.50 a load to wash - quarters only of course, and sometimes no dollar bill changer onsite (but usually). Drying costs vary a LOT depending on the heat/time the dryer spins (a $1 or more seemed to be common). Laundry detergent varies but is usually at least $1, sometimes more (again, in quarters). At some of the motels I found that the laundry detergent was only available through the front desk and not cheaply.
    +1 to that. Another consideration is that on a thru-hike you might be splitting your laundry loads with other people a lot of the time. Sometimes like four people. Even if four hikers put all their dirty clothes in the wash, that still might not be a full load. If your budget is really tight, it's easy to save money that way.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Megapixel View Post
    I haven't used Coin Operated Laundry since college... 1993 to be exact. What does it cost to wash and dry a load?
    thanks in advance.
    $2 for wash and 25cents for 7 min of dry time here in damascus

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    How about the ones you have to buy a prepaid card to use? Ran into that in Rutland, VT.
    Wow that would be a first for me. Surprised you don't put your debit card into them these days

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Wow that would be a first for me. Surprised you don't put your debit card into them these days
    You can use your credit or debit card to get the prepaid card. I hiked my laundry a very long route to the local laundromat last weekend.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Yea, you use you credit/debit card or cash to buy a prepaid laundry card. The machines only take the laundry mat's card. If I recall there was a minimum amount you had to buy, like $10. Of course you end up with money left on the card which can always use the next time, like the next time you thru-hike! I ended giving my card away to someone.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    +1 to that. Another consideration is that on a thru-hike you might be splitting your laundry loads with other people a lot of the time. Sometimes like four people. Even if four hikers put all their dirty clothes in the wash, that still might not be a full load. If your budget is really tight, it's easy to save money that way.
    I asked this dude I was hiking with on the CDT if he wanted to split a machine and he looked at me like I had two heads. I said fine and started my wash.

He tried using the other machine and it was broken!

Here he is here, but on the PCT..

++ New Posts ++