WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: AWOL on the AT

Default AWOL on the AT

Just finished it on my kindle. Fantastic reading especially for those who have walked the trail and know the towns, shelters, and trail the author describes.

Read it on my kindle during my commute in to the city really brought me back to the trail.

Thanks to the author.

Yeah its a good book, also great guide. It makes me feel better about my chances of success since he wasnt the best prepared person out there.

I thot the book was no better nor no worse than of the other AT hiking books out there.

I had no blisters on my thru; and I felt sorry for all the foot problems that he experienced on his walk.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Just finished it on my kindle. Fantastic reading especially for those who have walked the trail and know the towns, shelters, and trail the author describes.

Read it on my kindle during my commute in to the city really brought me back to the trail.

Thanks to the author.
    I just re-read it on Kindle this month also. I had read the paper version perhaps 4 years ago. I enjoyed it both times, but I think that I enjoyed it even more on this second reading since in the meantime I had covered some 500 additional trail miles. This caused more of it to be personally relevant, I guess. It is a good read --- one of my favorites.

Journal Entries

i pulled up awol on the web.... is this the name of the book? what else do i look under to get this book? thanks.
    eveready

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    i pulled up awol on the web.... is this the name of the book? what else do i look under to get this book? thanks.
    http://www.amazon.com/AWOL-Appalachi.../dp/1935597191
    "Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by MissMagnolia View Post
    Try
    http://www.theatguide.com/
    You can get it from the author for $11.96.

Images

http://www.amazon.com/AWOL-Appalachian-Trail-David-Miller/dp/0547745524/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

T
    hat's the better link if you want it through Amazon - $10.09 and Prime eligible.

Journal Entries

thanks guys.
    eveready

for those of you that read this book, was the number of days the author spent in hotel/motel/ hostels higher then normal, or at least required... excluding the days due to his injury, that was unavoidable. I ask, not to bash anyone, but because I do not think my budget will allow for that many "warm beds" . So I might have to consider a delay or an additional income before I get started.

Thanks in advance

HT1

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    for those of you that read this book, was the number of days the author spent in hotel/motel/ hostels higher then normal, or at least required... excluding the days due to his injury, that was unavoidable. I ask, not to bash anyone, but because I do not think my budget will allow for that many "warm beds" . So I might have to consider a delay or an additional income before I get started.

Thanks in advance
    AWOL liked to do big miles, you don't have to do so.

there are two different books: "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" - a novel about his trip, and "The AT Guide" - a guidebook on hiking the AT

Quote Originally Posted by get wayaway View Post
    there are two different books: "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" - a novel about his trip, and "The AT Guide" - a guidebook on hiking the AT
    Yes. And for anyone who doesn't already know they are by the same author, David Miller. Mr. Miller also wrote an installment newspaper story while he was on the trail in 2003 for Florida Today.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post

Thanks in advance

HT1
    It's really about your personal preference. AWOL seemed to take full advantage of the various hotel and hostel accommodations along the trail and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you've got the budget and time to spend a night in town and you want to? Then do it. If you'd rather save your pennies and sleep in the woods for another night, then do that. That's really the joy of thru hiking, each day you get to wake up and make YOUR plan.

I respect AWOL for his honest account. As I said before, I think it's a more interesting read if you have already thru hiked the trail and it's better written then 99% of the stuff on Trail Journals.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

I had no blisters on my thru; and I felt sorry for all the foot problems that he experienced on his walk.
    Agreed! Rough go of it.

Images

I liked the book AWOL. I am about half way through "On The Beaten Path: an Appalachian Pilgrimage" and am enjoying more than AWOL. Miller's trail guide is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
    I liked the book AWOL. I am about half way through "On The Beaten Path: an Appalachian Pilgrimage" and am enjoying more than AWOL. Miller's trail guide is very good.
    Read that one a few years back. Need to re-read it.

Hey Family , While you are all on the subject of Mr David Miller , Can anyone post the address of where to send a check for the AWOL AT Guide 2012 , I had all the Info. wrote down and even called but misplaced it , The Info. I know it was a Fla, address and the amount was $ 18.30 Including shipping , But am having problems on that site getting the mailing info. again !! THANKS !!

++ New Posts ++