WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default ZPacks Hexamid Solo Plus Tent w/ Beak & Cuben Ground Sheet

Well, I finally broke down and got one of the ZPacks Cuben Fiber Hexamid Solo Plus Tents. I added the beak and also got one of the solo plus LITE cuben fiber ground sheets. I will admit though, it lightened the wallet (especially since I also just got a Blast 30 backpack & Mulitpack from ZPacks too) but I gotta say, I think I am in love... (besides, the wallet is cuben too so it was pretty light to begin with... )

Anyway, after adding 1.2 oz of seam seal to both the tent and the ground sheet it comes in at 15 oz. Once I add in my 10 titanium stakes and a stuff sack I come in at 17.7 oz for everything.

And I gotta say, for a 5'10" guy, this tent is quite roomy. Being a solo plus it is said to fit 2 in a pinch and I don't think that this will be a problem for me and my wife, or my son, however, I will want to use a different ground sheet if I want both pads on the ground sheet and still have a bathtub floor. For this, I bought one of the Gossamer Gear Polycro ground sheets that I plan to cut to the size needed for 2.

The one thing that really turned me off when I first noticed this tent was the mesh floor. And not because I was scared of it tearing (which according to Joe he used one for his 154-day CDT Thru-hike and never got a hole in it) but rather, how much junk it will pick up. I am still a bit leary about this and only some use will give me a real understanding. So, to break it in I am taking it this weekend for a 4-day (3-night) hike along the AT in North GA! Wee Hoo...

Anyway, here is a write up on the tent and included a video on my blog:

Hexamid Solo Plus Tent Review
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Looking forward to hearing a usage report from you on this. I'm considering the same setup, but sewing the cuben floor to the tent and cutting out the overlapping net floor.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I was thinking the same thing...But then I thought about not worrying about sewing the ground sheet to the netting just in case I ever needed to change the ground sheet out. Also, if I am planning to use this tent for 2 I will use a GG polycro ground sheet I bought instead of this one. So, I am thinking in the back of my mind about just cutting the netting so that it will fit to the ground sheet, similar to the SMD Wild Oasis. However, I am also leary of taking sharps to this just yet considering all the $$$ I just spent on it...

Then again, if you talk with Joe, he may sew in the ground sheet for you. Not sure if he would, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if this is what you wanted.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

Look forward to hearing how the Hexamid Solo Plus works out. I purchased the Hexamid Solo. Just need to seam seal it and get some times time the woods.

How do you like the Solo so far?

Images

I've been using my Solo for the last two years and love it. I'll get another one though, with the following customizations.

Lineloc3 tensioner on the front line. If the tent needs more tension for whatever reason in the middle of the night, this allows it to be done without getting out of the tent. Also, the line is so long that at times a shorter length is needed. This also permits reflective cord to be used, and I hope that results in fewer people tripping over it at ADZPCTKO.

TiGoat 0.8 oz/yd silnylon sewn-in bathtub floor without netting underneath. I'm not overly concerned about it being less waterproof than 1.1 silnylon since I sleep off the ground on an air mattress.

Beak, possibly only on one side...I need to think about this more. I really only need it to keep my shoes out of the rain.

Also, I might go for the Solo Plus because I really appreciate being able to spread out in the Hexamid Solo, and I might enjoy it more in the larger tent.

Do you guys consider the Hexamid more of a western tent? More in tune with drier conditions?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    Then again, if you talk with Joe, he may sew in the ground sheet for you. Not sure if he would, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if this is what you wanted.
    I sent Joe an email about doing this and will post when I get a reply- I'm guessing he will, no problem.

I have to say that I'm a bit leery about the mesh floor, myself. Let us know how it works out. Not that I'd want one, but spreading the word around would benefit other ground dwellers.

You can get a very similar shelter from Bear Paw. I haven't compared the prices, but they might be comparable in many respects. I've emailed John with some ideas, and he's eager for imput from armchair designers, and willing to make custom alterations. Here: http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/lair.html
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-12-2012 at 20:03.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

how comfortable are you in these types of tents in a windy night?

Tinker,

I will definitely watch the floor. Like I said, this is really the only part that I am unsure of. And considering it is mesh, I am not worried about holes, but rather if it attracts a lot of dirt/mud. And if so, like I mentioned above, I can always cut the most bottom part out of it...

TOMP,

This is my first tent like this, so I can't really answer that. However, I have been in a tarp in some windy weather and was fine. I imagine this will be similar. I do not feel like the material will be a problem. I imagine that site selection and proper set-up will play an important part in how comfy I am in the tent. But, I feel that it will do just as well as any of these other light weight tents being sold (by that I mean everything but the bomber, heavy, double walled tents). There are 10 tie downs though so it should be good. I will let y'all know if I run into any problems though.

Images

ditching all your hammock stuff? or planning to hang some and tent some?
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    ditching all your hammock stuff? or planning to hang some and tent some?
    Who are you addressing?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Tinker, I feel like he was probably asking me...I could be wrong though...

My answer is both. Just depends on the hike and my mood. Of course though it may also depend on how well I end up loving my Hexamid...

Don't get me wrong though, a hammock is super comfy, but there is something about a tent that makes backpacking so much fun...a tent just seems right... Either way, I enjoy them both.

Images

stick......
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Got an answer back from Joe this morning about sewing in the cuben "bath tub" that can be bought separately for the tent: for $20 he's going to sew mine into the floor after removing the netting that would otherwise be under it.

I didn't ask him, but my guess is that he'd sew in the cuben as an option in making the tent to begin with and do it at no charge as opposed to having to modify an existing tent (albeit unused yet)

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Once you start sewing stuff to the tent aren't you increasing the weight - eventually winding up with "just another" lightweight tent?

That's a lot of $$$ to save weight and then turn around and add it back.

Images

Depending on which fabric is used, it'll add little to no weight. Even when it adds, it's swapping a little weight for convenience. At least that's how I see it. My polycro ground sheet blow all over the place, and with it sewn in, I can set up and break down more quickly and with less care.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Depending on which fabric is used, it'll add little to no weight.
    A NOLS instructor once said to me - after going through EVERYTHING in my pack and asking why I was carrying even a 4 gram mini-carabiner - "everything weighs something and remember: grams add up to ounces, ounces add up to pounds and too many pounds cause misery, injuries and/or hikes to end."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    stick......
    Where the hell have you been Wags... hope all is well.

LOL and I am in agreement with Wags.

Hope you have fun with your new toys and have a great trip.

Raul

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++