WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Drink to your health -- or not...

I wonder how many people opted to bring a flask of red wine on a hike because they've heard how heart-healthy it is to consume. Turns out that many of them scientific studies were fabricated.

Another reason to ignore all media hype about nutrition.... http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ted-misconduct

Red-Wine Researcher Implicated in Data Misconduct Case
    An investigation has found a UConn lab chief guilty of falsifying data. He denies the allegations. The lab studies wine's health benefits

A three-year investigation into a University of Connecticut biology laboratory has found its chief guilty of falsifying and fabricating data on more than two dozen papers and grant applications.

Dipak Das, director of the Cardiovascular Research Center at the University of Connecticut Health Center (UCHC) in Farmington, and his lab studied the beneficial health effects of wine (including one component resveratrol, which has been linked to life extension and other health benefits) and other foods, as well as cardiology.

A 60,000-page report issued yesterday (you can read a 49-page summary here) by UCHC found Das guilty of 145 counts of fabrication and falsification of data, involving at least 23 papers and 3 grant applications. The alleged misconduct involved manipulating the presentation of experiments called western blots, which assess the presence and amounts of specific proteins. The report documents dozens of instances in published papers where protein bands from separate experiments were spliced and pasted together to suggest that they had been measured in the same experiment.

The UCHC investigation began after the Office of Research Integrity (ORI) notified the university, in November 2008, of a complaint involving a paper published by Das's laboratory. UCHC began its investigation in January 2009. The ORI is conducting its own investigation, according to a University of Connecticut press release.

UCHC has frozen externally funded research in Das's lab, and it turned away US$890,000 in federal grants while the investigation was underway. The university has also begun proceedings to fire Das.

The report focuses on Das's role in the alleged misconduct, but the university is also looking into the roles of graduate students and other former members of the laboratory. The report notes that two doctoral theses from former graduate students contain "anomalies" and "problematic images". The report notes that during the investigation, members of Das's lab said that there was nothing wrong with digitally manipulating western-blot images. The report cites e-mail exchanges between Das and lab members documenting data manipulation, and in one e-mail to Das, a student in the lab wrote: "I have changed the figures as you told me."

But the report also notes that only certain members of Das's lab conducted biochemical work and data analysis, while others performed different tasks. "This type of compartmentalization of research effort increases the opportunity that research misconduct might not be detected by other authors and could potentially lead to blame falling, unfairly, on other authors."

In a June 2010 letter included as evidence in the report (and posted by the Chronicle of Higher Education), Das denied that he modified the western-blot images and accused the university of racial discrimination. He also complained that stress caused by the investigation had caused him to suffer a stroke.

Das has not yet responded to an e-mail from Nature, but Retraction Watch posted a bizarre press release this morning that the blog says it received on Das's behalf. The release denies the allegations of data manipulation and again suggests that the investigation is racially motivated. The release goes on to say that the unnamed informant who turned Das in was a "troublemaker" who worked in the laboratory. The statement claims that the informant attempted to pour wine down the throat of another worker in the laboratory in an effort to get the worker to disparage Das.

Although some of Das's papers documenting the benefits of chemicals in wine have been cited hundreds of times, other researchers who study ageing and the effects of resveratrol downplayed the significance of his work.

"Today I had to look up who he is. His papers are mostly in specialty journals," Harvard Medical School's David Sinclair told the New York Times. Nir Barzilai, a resveratrol researcher at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, told the AP that the allegations will not have a significant impact on resveratrol research.

His research has appeared in journals such as the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry and Free Radical Research. No papers have been retracted, but UCHC says that it has notified the journals in which Das's team published papers containing figures that were allegedly manipulated.

This article is reproduced with permission from the magazine Nature. The article was first published on January 12, 2011.

atleast the antioxidants are still real.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Given my experience at the school, it would be much more efficient if UCONN researchers chose to study the effects of cheap beer on young adults.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    "Too many antioxidants could have negative effect"
    http://www.standard.net/topics/features/2010/04/05/too-many-antioxidants-could-have-negative-effect

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Rese...ased-mortality

It's always something.

[QUOTE=T-Dubs;1239291]"Too many antioxidants could have negative effect"
    http://www.standard.net/topics/features/2010/04/05/too-many-antioxidants-could-have-negative-effect

QUOTE]

Well yeah vitamins help you by bursting bacteria cells that cause you problems. But high concentrations kill your cells too. Everything in moderation. But the level of vitamin C needed to do something like that is something like 50,000 percent of your daily value. I wouldnt worry about it unless you down a bottle of multi-vitamins.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wait - Nooo Wait wwww Waithowie_mandel.jpg.......John did he get drunk on the job? - Howie Mandel
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Problem with a lot of studies and scientists is they are not immune from politics and special interests and MONEY.

What do you think happens when you publish a study saying that wine is good for your health? You get a whole boatload of trade associations in the wine industry wanting to throw money at you to do another study. So it becomes a self-fulfilling venture...you keep churning out studies that favor wine because you know if you put out one with negative results your funding will dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    I don't doubt that there are some beneficial effects from drinking wine in moderation. The problem I always had with this story (from the beginning when we were all first brainwashed) is how the media latched on to this story and started using it as an example of why so many in France are so healthy and we Americans are so unhealthy It was as if the only way to have a healthy heart and live longer was to drink a glass of wine per night. And this is not an isolated example, we keep hearing about misinformation, WRT nutrition. There's so so little we know in this area. Common sense in this area goes so much farther than all the studies out there. I'll just stick to my all-in-moderation approach.

I'm sick of being lectured by the media in the name of science. As it turns out, cheating in science is not all that uncommon and the peer-review process ain't all that.

And recently - Vitamin E. I remember reading 30% increased risk of prostate cancer. Haven't read how it affects the ladies.

Interesting, I like a glass of wine in the evening with dinner and an occassional sip of Jack Daniels (neat). I have no desire to drink on the trail. I drank a couple of beers mostly to be social.

If ever an Oral Roberts or Baylor University study claims regular drinking is healthy - you'll probably have to believe it.....

False...all false...I drink like a fish and I am going to out live EVERYBODY!

geek

Images

too much water is also bad for you."everything in moderation" goes the saying(except for long distance hiking!)

Journal Entries
    Images

Not worth the weight. If I was going to carry anything it would be everclear so I could use it as fuel.
    Quite frankly however I think booze has a negitive not positive effect on the trail experience.

After all the hype and all the studies I'm betting a healthy diet and plenty of exercise is the best method to keep our youth as long as we can.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Default Drink to your health -- or not...

Red wine makes people look younger. In America, we call this medical miracle "beer goggles."
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

When I was young,the doctor told my parents that red wine builds red blood cells,Perhaps this is why I know longer care to drink.Nah...that ain't it...but close.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    It's all about moderation.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." - John Muir
    My Outdoors Blog | Emergency Outdoors - Your source for outdoor, camping, survival and emergency preparedness gear

Images

I've been reading so much about the bad effects of alcohol, tobacco & sex I decided I better change my ways. I quit reading.

Images

I heard this too.............switched to bringing 12 year old Scotch or Whiskey

BP is pretty good as of last readings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++