WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Bag/Pad combo. for early March

Hey, I have a Mountain Hardwear 35 rated bag and Neo Air All Season pad (4.9 r-value). I plan on sleeping with my 800down jacket on and a fleece hat. Granted everyone has different comfort thresholds and sleep tendencies, should I be okay for a mid-March nobo start or should I begin looking for a warmer bag?

It's doable, but a 35 degree bag in MArch is cutting it close. Plus, you might not be comfortable sleeping in a down jacket inside your sleeping bag. Test out your sleep-system before hitting the trail, for at least 2 nights with all your other gear. Pack some good synthetic thermals and long johns either way. You don't want to sleep in all your clothes, but you will survive.

I started March 25, with the regular neoair 3/4 length and a 15-degree bag. 2 or 3 times the cold crept up through the pad, with the Smokies being he coldest, but I still slept. That was bundled up in the 15 degree bag. I'm not sure if you'll have that problem with your pad, but expect temps down into the teens.

I'm usin' about the same set-up, Western Mountaineering Highlight rated 35 and Thermarest Prolite 3 short pad. I mostly use a tent that adds to the warmth of a sleeping bag. I have been pretty comfortable into the teen sleeping in 100 wt fleece top and bottom plus hat and mittens. I also have a pair of down booties I sleep in 'cause my feet are the first thing that gets cold. Folks are different and have different tolerances for discomfort.

If you are worried and it will fit in your bag ul down pants and down socks would give you some extra warmth.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto Switchback's advice. If you live in Cleveland you should have a few cold nights you can try it out. It sounds like that idea works for some. Personally, I can't sleep in a jacket in my bag. Everything gets compressed and constricted and I usually end up colder. Same thing with liners. But everyone's different, so are bags and jackets.

When I hiked in early April I also saw mid-teens and blizzard conditions in the Smokies and my excellent 15F bag kept me on the trail when most bailed out to town (which is always an option). The expensive bag ended up saving me money on town nights, that's for sure. Plus I got some good harsh weather stories, which are priceless.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I'm gonna take REI up on their return policy on my 35 guy and search out a good 15er, any recommendations for a synthetic (w/ low weight and small packed size)? Thanks for help thus far!

Garlic
    Images

No opinions on synthetics. After I switched to down a few years ago, I kicked myself for waiting so long. I don't even want to think how much a 15F synthetic will weigh and how big a pack you'd need for it. Sorry to open up that can of worms, but seriously, if you're committed to sleeping outside more than a few nights a year (and learning how to keep a dry camp), you can't beat a down bag. It could be worth the cost, like I said above, just in town nights avoided.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Yeah, you're right garlic. I'm gonna go for a down bag. I have a waterproof stuff sack on deck so no need to keep him in the closet.

++ New Posts ++