WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Barefoot Shoes?

Default Barefoot Shoes?

I am debating a thru hike (leaning more towards doing it each day) and I am stuck on what sort of shoe to get. A barefoot shoe such as the http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...h?dimensions=0 seems like the best bet as it would dry out and such fairly quickly. My question is all these barefoot shoes are for "trail running" has anyone tried them and seen if they work for pack hiking. My worry is they are two thin and that would cause soar feet. I however am not worried about support because I wear flip flops around till about 30 degrees :P. So if anyone has tried something to this effect with a pack I would really appreciate a bit of knowledge sharing!

Images

Gotta watch your step. I wore my 5fingers through a lot of trails in Linville Gorge, NC. Pretty rocky, and I felt really nimble. @ the same time, with a misstep you can REALLY feel those rocks poking into your foot. I also was only wearing a day pack.

I LOVE the feel of barefoot shoes, run in them every day. I'm also planning a through hike, so I went through what you are debating. My main factors that kept me in a more traditional shoe are: the COLD, even stepping on damp ground you are going to get a wet sock in most minimal shoes.
    thin sole - lots of rocks jabbing at your feet, added with the weight on your back... ouch.
    and this doesn't apply to the merrells, but as far as five fingers - they STINK. and it can be a pain getting your toes in there day in and day out.

my .02 - I'm sure it could work if you trained your feet properly! Don't jump in until you've got a lot of miles w/ barefoot shoes, your legs will protest at first! burning calves! worth it once you're used to it though - stronger feet, etc.

Without knowing what you usually wear for hiking, I woud say that, if it works for you for weekend hikes, try a week long hike with them before you thruhike. If your feet feel good, stick with them.

Buying new and different footwear just before starting a long hike (especially a thruhike) probably isn't a good way to go. Whatever you eventually start off with, I'd make sure that you have a couple hundred miles of street, work, short hikes on them before starting off (unless they are what you've been wearing all along).

Fwiw: I bought a pair of Merrill Moabb Ventilators before a 50 mile hike I did last November. I wore them for 2 weeks before taking them on the trail, just to make sure that they would work. I had previously worn a different brand, lighter shoe, and was ready to go back to them for the hike if the Merrils didn't feel perfect. They worked fine. (Also, I had been carefully fitted by a knowledgeable salesperson at EMS for the shoes. She knew what she was doing. Even so, I found it necessary to remove the 5mm inserts she placed under the orthotics that I wear because my feet would swell up after a couple of hours of walking.

Additional note: Previous to the Merrill shoes, I was wearing Adidas trail runners. After the last section of Pa. (just north of Duncannon) the soles of my feet were very sore (probably bruised from the stones). That's the reason that I bought the heavier, more padded, Moabb shoes.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-18-2012 at 12:50.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

i've hiked in my five fingers and while it was nice, there is very little padding underneath your feet to protect against rock and root discomfort...i wouldn't recommend doing a thru in them...i would also question the durability...buy normal shoes...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I own a pair of Merrill minimalists, I wear them almost everywhere including to the gym and sometimes while day hiking. However I personally would not rely on them for a long backpacking trip. I have found that the soles are too thin to navigate through rocky new England trail comfortably, take a hike through a boulder field while wearing a pack and you'll get an idea of whether or not they are right for you. When I'm on a multiday trip I now use trail runners with superfeet insoles. On a side note, I have found that because I am now wearing my minimalists everywhere, my gait has changed. I now tend to walk on the ball of my foot even when wearing thicker shoes or boots.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Great insight guys, thanks a bunch. Gives me more to consider!

Quote Originally Posted by capto View Post
    I am debating a thru hike (leaning more towards doing it each day) and I am stuck on what sort of shoe to get. A barefoot shoe such as the http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...h?dimensions=0 seems like the best bet as it would dry out and such fairly quickly. My question is all these barefoot shoes are for "trail running" has anyone tried them and seen if they work for pack hiking. My worry is they are two thin and that would cause soar feet. I however am not worried about support because I wear flip flops around till about 30 degrees :P. So if anyone has tried something to this effect with a pack I would really appreciate a bit of knowledge sharing!
    5,000,000,000 steps and your plannin' on hittin' each one correctly.......hey there your feet man,whatever blows your hair back.

Chaco Sandals!
    There soles are thicker then a boot.
    Fits like a glove.
    With a sock, you will probably never get a blister.
    You will never wear any footwear more comfortable.
    Their customer service is amazing!
    They should last the entire thru hike.

I bought my pair in 1999 and used them for several summers as a river guide. I never wore other shoes spring, summer, fall. Still going today.

I have been wearing them daily with a thick wool sock for my daily AT prep walks in 17° weather. I was going to buy boots for the cold months of my hike.
    Now looking for water proof sock covers (cold rain, snow weather) to wear my Chaco's for my entire Thru Hike starting in Late Feb 2012.

I like the idea of not dealing with blisters. Chaco Sandals are too comfortable.

Anyone else thru hiked with Chaco's? Only concerned about Slush and cold rain.

Custom made Survival Bracelets for sale. Check Home Page

I have the Merril's and LOVE them. With or without socks never a blister. But not sure about hiking in them. The soles are thin and the tread is not very aggressive, traction may be an issue. Also, not much protection in the toe box. But damn are they comfy!

I am taking my New Balance Minimus trail shoes along with my Chaco Z1's on my thru-hike in June. I will probably do most of my hiking in my chaco's and wear my NB on shorter days.

There's a good thread on lightweight shoes here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-Trail-Runners

I personally hiked in Merrell Trail Gloves for 100 miles. They're comfortable, they work, your feet don't get all that sore (except for the first few days). The issue is you go slow...like significantly slower. You may be faster on the uphill due to the increased agility and lighter shoes, but on the flat and downhill is where you have to really be careful to pick your steps....especially with a pack.

I went from a solid 3mph to 1.5mph with the barefoot shoes. If you want a more through breakdown on my experience: http://www.atlantisroads.com/gear/barefoot-hiking/
    www.mostinterestingmanintheworld.net
    "People see my beard and think I'm a bad mofo, but on the trail I'm just another hiker."

++ New Posts ++