WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Default PA Mid-State Trail?

Hey guys, I might have a few weeks this summer and I'm intrigued by the MST. I just have a few questions for those who might know:

Is it thru-hikable? I mean, logistically, are there enough resupply points/water sources etc?

Is camping a problem? I understand most is on public land, but is it state game land that you can't camp on?

I understand it's supposed to be a tough trail, but is 13 miles/day reasonable for someone who can comfortably do 20 miles/day on most of the AT? I'd like to be able to do it in under 25 days.

Lastly, is it worth it?! It looks like a cool trail and it's not far from where I live, but I've gone over the AT in PA a few times and I don't want to hike the MST if it's just a very similar experience. Anyone have any experience on the trail?

Thanks any info!

Yes and no to your questions. It is a great trail BUT resupply is very tough in spots. (See MST guide) Thru-Hikeable, maybe. If you're tough and can handle very, very rocky trail and long miles without seeing a soul then yes. Camping can be a problem in some areas as its very rocky or hilly. Has anyone done as a thru-hike? I don't know. I'm still looking for their next of kin. LOL

Images

The MST is very cool, very rocky, and very lonely. I hiked about 50 miles of it and saw more bears than people. I resupplied once. Had a long walk into town, about 3 miles, then hitchhiked back to the trail. I camped in a hammock and recommend you do the same. It's not that you can't find spots to put a tent over the course of the day, but you might end up 2 or 3 hours more than you want looking.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I've hiked about half of the PA Mid-State trail. I dont find it too different than the PA AT (or any of the AT thru the mid-atlantic), but it does give you more of a rural feel, which is nice sometimes. In many places you are literally walking it farmers' backyards. In other places it feels more like a little more remote mountains.

I usually hike 5 days at a time or so, so I do not have to worry about resupply, but I think with a little planning it shouldnt be a problem based on the northern half I have hiked. It walks straight thru some towns, that while there may not be a grocer, there is a PO you could utilize.

Camping/finding campsites has never been an issue for me either.

If you are hiking in the summer I would recommend wearing long pants regardless of the temperatures. It is not clear-cut like the AT. You will be bushwhacking some.

I have never had a problem finding water.

13 miles/day is certainly achievable.

Im sure Ki0eh will chime in.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

This trail runs through some of the finest trout water on the east coast, don't forget your fly rod and license.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It sounds like a pretty cool trail. If the time opens up, I'm definitely going to go for it, or at the least start sectioning it.

Are the maps pretty good, or is the guidebook enough? I'd prefer to hike with maps but for $26 less, if they aren't that good, I'll just go with the guide.

Are the maps pretty good, or is the guidebook enough? I'd prefer to hike with maps but for $26 less, if they aren't that good, I'll just go with the guide.[/QUOTE]
    The Purple Lizard maps are the best I've seen for this trail but the Guide book is the most detailed. Also, I have hiked about 60 miles of the trail mostly south of PA 322 and I will say that it is a VERY rocky trail--elevation changes are not bad but the rocks can be very slippery when wet and just never end. I agree with Solemate that you may have to do a little bushwacking at times (I sure did) but water is not plentiful south of the Roman fire tower until you reach Barree/Water Street area(unless you want to hike very steeply down the side of Tussey Mtn to get it). Have fun! I may see you out there if you are hiking around Easter/Spring break!

Images

I hiked a chunk of it last week with my friend, we got to talking and missed a blaze, ended up on another trail for about an hour before we noticed we weren't on the right one. We bushwacked our way accross the gamelands to pop back onto the trail. I would suggest some maps... haha. We didn't see a person until our last day.

Just picked up the maps and trailbook myself for $26. Not a bad deal. I was recently thinking of the same thing and you asked a lot of the questions I had. Maybe if timing works out...

A few folks have thru-ed or long sectioned MST. Some like it, others don't. It is more remote, less traveled, less serviced, less protected, than the A.T.

Here is a good link to check from time to time: http://www.hike-mst.org/guide.html - a resupply list is a relatively recent addition, and any feedback on this, the maps, or the guide (which will be reprinted soon) is welcome at the addresses listed on the website. Coming soon will be an end-to-end hiker recognition program.

Sections 2 to 5 have the most challenge to find legal camping (State Game Lands) and also to find water. Sections 19 and 20 (north of US 6) offer only pay-to-stay camping, although spacing of such campgrounds is relatively generous (because that's how the trail was routed). Sections 10-13 are worst for resupply, there's 1 State Park office to maildrop at, or hitches more like Colorado Trail than A.T.

Maps are certainly recommended. Note for sections 17 through 20 (near the NY border) you need to download them off the http://www.hike-mst.org/guide.html website even if you bought the entire map and guide set. No other maps than the official MSTA maps cover the entire trail, all current maps are color and have been developed since 2007. A Purple Lizard map covers only a portion of the MST route in Rothrock SF, i.e. only the couple of sections closest to State College. State Forest Public Use Maps cover much of the route but are in some instances outdated or (especially the Tiadaghton SF) inaccurate.

The MST has used metric measure exclusively since 1973. The guide reports distances in kilometers, and maps show elevations in meters (as well as a 1 km UTM grid). The guide is not really like the A.T. Data Book, it's more like the A.T. state-by-state guides in coverage and heft.

Most of the newer color maps have a 50 meter contour interval which hides plenty of ups and downs, an overreaction to previous complaints that there were too many contours on the maps. Map 301-306 and future maps will have a 25 meter contour interval, a bit finer than the typical 100' on peer hiking maps vs. the coarser 50 m.

The MST, State Forest Public Use, Purple Lizard, etc. maps show numerous side trails in the State Forests. Rarely are these better maintained or marked than the MST itself. A shortcut or a supposed loop hike could become quite an adventure.

Southern sections of the MST can be very rocky (or can follow rarely mowed closed roads). Rocks become less and less going north until they pretty much disappear around section 17, to be replaced by glacial mud and high weeds that there aren't enough volunteers to keep mowed. The northern sections also have a number of unbridged streams. Some areas on the northern half have stinging nettle. Those who wear shorts and trailrunners usually like the MST less well than those who wear long pants and boots.

Some private property on sections 18-20 have closure periods extending as far as October-January for hunting. Please don't hike the trail during the closed periods or they'll be closed all the time.

In a typical year April through September would be the best time to thru-hike the MST, also October and early November if you're OK with bypassing one part of section 18. Late November and December brings hunters out in force, and January through March can be somewhat too snowy and icy or high water for many.

One last thought, Verizon offers much better coverage in the MST area than does AT&T.

Thanks for the great info, Ki0eh! I'm not sure if I will be able to get around to it this year, but the MST is definitely a trail I would like to start sectioning.

I'll be sure to pick up the map/guidebook set.

I wonder if the Great Eastern Trail is going to wind up being pretty popular. I mean, I doubt it'll ever see the foot traffic of the AT, but it'd be interesting if prospective AT thru-hikers started turning towards the GET to avoid crowds.

Great info

Page 2 of http://www.hike-mst.org/Summer2011.pdf has a report from someone who thru-hiked the trail and generally liked it, especially it seems the sections this next guy did.

Here is a fellow who got off partway through: http://www.walkwithgantz.com/get-journal.html

I've hiked several sections of the MST and I think it is superior to PA's AT. It is more rugged, rockier, more isolated, with many amazing views. Very little hiking traffic. It is not nearly as "manicured" as the AT, but it is usually blazed sufficiently well; there is only one shelter to my knowledge. The scenic features of the MST far exceed what you'll find on PA's AT. Indian Wells Vista overlooking Bear Meadows Natural Area is exceptional, Detweiler Natural Area has old growth hemlock. I love Poe Paddy, where there is a rugged canyon and the famous tunnel the trail goes through. North of the West Branch Susquehanna River the trail changes as it traverses the plateaus, not as rocky, but some big elevation changes. Many beautiful streams, still some great views, and some smaller waterfalls. There was a drilling pad next to the trail south of Little Pine, but I heard the trail was re-routed. There are views of PA's Grand Canyon north of Blackwell. Spend some time along Stony Fork- a very beautiful creek with amazing swimming holes and rapids over ledges. No bridge crosses Stony Fork and it is a sizeable stream, do not attempt to cross in high water as it is a powerful whitewater creek. North of here are some interesting historial points of interest from the logging/mining era. The hike along Babb Creek is superb as is Sand Run Falls, an amazing place to camp.

Some pics of the trail:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...tdoors&start=0

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...vhost=outdoors

++ New Posts ++