WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default BACKPACKER Mag is a love hate relationship and wants your opinion..... Really.

I did not renew Backpacker this year - too many are sitting around collecting dust. Anyway they want your opinion and it will take 5 minutes - there is a bunch of BS about the Cover appearance in the 3rd quarter. but if you don't finish it will not count...

https://aimmedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?S...oB4yBlYMrl7ImU

is the link to the bio meter

I am NOT affiliated with Backpacker in any way ... and this is a good way to weight in and provide some feed back to fixing it.

Don't kick the messenger here.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

i haven't touched that ragazine in years

Images

They must be able to read my mind. I clicked on your link, and got a screen saying I already took the survey, in other words, "Thanks, but no thanks"

I haven't been to their website in years, haven't subscribed, haven't taken their survey.

Oh well, guess it's one way they get the answers they want.

The link is specific to WOO. I'm sure the survey is still going, but either WOO or someone who followed his link completed the survey so they already have a completed one tied to that specific code. No conspiracy.

Images

One of my doctors gets it and puts it in the rack in the office. Last time I read it I remember at least that particular issue seemed more geared toward: hiking out west; large heavy packs; bear vaults; hiking fru-fru / bling; etc

Costs $10 a year, well worth it for the pictures and an occasional article on a cool area I didn't know much about. It is entertaining if not particularly informative to someone who reads most posts on this website.

Agreed that it hasn't evolved enough with the lightweight technology that makes ultralight accessible and affordable to the average backpacker magazine reader.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by malowitz View Post
    The link is specific to WOO. I'm sure the survey is still going, but either WOO or someone who followed his link completed the survey so they already have a completed one tied to that specific code. No conspiracy.
    yea you nailed it.... sad little world over there in Backpacker..... thanks for picking up on that....

Honest I think the mag is for beginners and then folk loose interest and you shoud see the old threads in WB>
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

All magazine and newspapers are becoming outdated with the increased quality of blogs and youtube content. Why pay if you can get it free?

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    Costs $10 a year, well worth it for the pictures and an occasional article on a cool area I didn't know much about. It is entertaining if not particularly informative to someone who reads most posts on this website.

Agreed that it hasn't evolved enough with the lightweight technology that makes ultralight accessible and affordable to the average backpacker magazine reader.
    Yup, I agree with Leanthree on this issue, for a small price, I think there are alot of great photos and some interesting articles from time to time, not always, but I might pick something up to me that is informative. What magazine issue doesn't sit around after we read (or skimmed through it) the most recent issue of that magazine. Don't some of us remember the old National Geographic issues that used to sit around the house in large bundles as kids?
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I have the iPad edition to BP magazine. It seems they have their favorite brands to show off and favorite people to show the brands. It is a great magazine to keep up with the latest and greatest, not so much if you have gear and want tips and advise. I do have to say they have really cool pictures of trails mentioned in the issue. My only wish is that they review "old school" stuff that has worked for years and not always $400 sleeping bags

Images

I have the Zinio digital version, my first year of this. Agreed with the pricey gear. One article showed "shells" for $400 each. Really? A $400 rain coat? I didn't pay $400 for the last suit I bought, much less a rain coat. I did think the mag is good for noobs, tips and advice about a variety of subjects. My favorite part is the "rip and go" hikes, and local area trails. I have no clue otherwise if trail 465 is any better than trail 321, and how difficult it is. I like the public reviews of the hikes, with gps points and pictures.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

As others have said, for $10 a year it's really not a bad deal. I enjoy looking at the pictures and it's clued me in to some cool hikes.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I got it 'cause it was $5 for a year subscription

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I like it. Its fun, lots of hikes I wouldn't know about otherwise. I appreciate gear reviews, etc.

Right now you can get it for $7/subscription from Amazon. At times, you can find Blissful's deal too.

Images

$12 bucks for 3 years , so I said what the he%^.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I stiil subscribe, got a 3 year subscription on barter..............maybe some well-written letters to the editor might wake them up a bit, agree on content, it has just been so-so. Happy to see it in my mailbox but what is inside is less exciting.

The survey has 'expired' but, as described by WOO, it sure sounds like the same disappointing stuff I put up with for two or three years. Since I was a subscriber the mag contacted me by email and invited me to take their surveys (sent to me directly) about the magazine. It was, I thought, an attempt to get consumer/subscriber input of what they wanted to see in Backpacker. The early surveys asked some questions about that (usually of the multiple choice answer type)...and most if not all had a space at the end to fill in your own comments/suggestions (I always asked to see articles about cottage industry companies and products). But from the start the surveys asked multiple questions about what cover 'you' liked best, what article title was the favorite, which headline should be on the cover. Sometimes, the survey asked the responder to rate which articles (based on the titles) the surveyee wanted to see/would buy.

All in all, the articles were chosen in advance as were a handfull of covers to choose from...the surveys were far less about future magzine content than what made an attractive, selling magazine on the newstand. And so the surveys were disappointing to me as the magazine itself turned out to be. The subscription price often seemed like a good buy but not when compared to what I actually read in the magazine. I too dropped the subscription last year.

I still get Backpacker's email 'newsletter' and I often shudder at the content in one of their columns, "Ask a Bear." The mag has gone from empty content to dangerous commentary and suggestions, IMO. Sometimes I think that my disappointment and others' expressed in forums is because 'we' have all moved from the beginner level of backpacking...and, therefore, moved on from Backpacker.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

yea, I just tried it and got this:
    This survey has expired.

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    As others have said, for $10 a year it's really not a bad deal. I enjoy looking at the pictures and it's clued me in to some cool hikes.

What he said.

Images

I am looking for ANY youth group that may be looking for 35 years of back issues of Backpacker/ Wilderness Camper! PM Me!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++