WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I would like it but wouldnt pay more than 10 yr for it

Backpackinglight is a much better subscription...

gravity

Images

Once they stopped the "survivor the scenerio adventures" featuring lunchbox the cadaver dog, I lost interest.

It's a good rag for newbie weekenders who want to buy name-brand, non-cutting edge, SAFE, PREDICTABLE, heavy gear.

I quit the prescription in the middle of a year - gave up half of what I paid for it, when they IGNORANTLY allowed an off-road, motorized, big name company to place an ad in their rag.

I sent a pm to Jonathan Dorn and asked him to cancel my subscription. Shortly thereafter, I bade my friends at the Backpacker forums good-bye and started posting here.

God bless them if they've changed the way that they do things, but I don't have the time nor inclination to give them a second glance.

(reluctantly).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

The magazine has lost a great deal of its readers over time, and for reason. I did just renew for another year. I look at it like this, I WILL get my $8 worth if I have to crumple every single page to help start fires.

www.backpackinglight.com - If you want to know what's REALLY happening in the world of lightweight hiking (I let my subscription expire - I know everything now..........).

More..........
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...x:74.97.24.188
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-26-2012 at 18:13.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

You gotta look at the big picture. Without new hikers the sport dies a slow death. Realistically, the younger generation have many distractions to keep them at home planted on their computers, gaming devices, etc. Anything that stimulates a young person to go outside and consider taking a hike is a good thing. Backpacker is just one medium to help foster that idea of "getting out there" unfortunately advertising and cheaper stock articles are necessary to keep the magazine viable. Its a cost of doing business, and hopefully someone is inspired from it to maintain the trails of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    You gotta look at the big picture. Without new hikers the sport dies a slow death. Realistically, the younger generation have many distractions to keep them at home planted on their computers, gaming devices, etc. Anything that stimulates a young person to go outside and consider taking a hike is a good thing. Backpacker is just one medium to help foster that idea of "getting out there" unfortunately advertising and cheaper stock articles are necessary to keep the magazine viable. Its a cost of doing business, and hopefully someone is inspired from it to maintain the trails of the future.
    Unfortunately, unless Backpacker uses computer generated, holographic images on their front cover, how can we expect them to get the attention of our "younger generation"?
    This might tie in to the BSA thread, but, really - who needs a magazine to motivate the young of OUR generation to discover the outdoors?

It's up to US to show young people the healing nature of the outdoors, to show it as a restorative source of peace to the soul.

Here - http://www.theopenscroll.com/oneManAwake.htm

If anyone here would like to buy a subscription to awaken the youth of our time to our natural heritage, it should be with a group that shares their values.

There's only so much you can do, however. Do it well.

I got a subscriptions this year for x-mas,after being caught reading it at the book stores.Like many magazines they have to pay the bills,and are not always on the front edge(what people are actually using) do to this fact.Still an good magazine,for those coming into the activity and wanting some information.I hope they continue to grow with the help of the community they serve.

I wonder if the day will come when an online mag. will pay to place a glossy cover and brief description of what their online mag. offers at your local pharmacy, book store, etc. and if you like it, you can take it to the counter where they will scan it, you will pay for it, and your subscription will be opened for online viewing.

Is there a job for me in marketing?

The day of the paper mag. may be coming to an end.

Cyber toilet paper anyone?
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-26-2012 at 19:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I wonder if the day will come when an online mag. will pay to place a glossy cover and brief description of what their online mag. offers at your local pharmacy, book store, etc. and if you like it, you can take it to the counter where they will scan it, you will pay for it, and your subscription will be opened for online viewing.

Is there a job for me in marketing?

The day of the paper mag. may be coming to an end.

Cyber toilet paper anyone?
    Yes Tinker I think it will be made available.But what I'm wondering is where to tear the little hole?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yes Tinker I think it will be made available.But what I'm wondering is where to tear the little hole?
    You are funnier than I look...........? Wait - did I say what I thought I said??

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    You are funnier than I look...........? Wait - did I say what I thought I said??
    Probably not.......wait what?

Sale/special going on now:

http://www.tanga.com/products/backpa...bscription--21
    use coupon code WOOT to get it for $3.99/year.

Tanga deals are usually 12 or 24 hours so I don't know how long this one will last.

So here we are, an hour and 10 minutes after the previous post ... only a marginally so-so magazine, but for under $4, sure ... so I clicked on the link and it said $29.99 (but with free shipping).

Umm, I think not.

OK, so I'm an idiot. It turns out that you can indeed get the subscription for $3.99 a year, but you have to enter the magic code referenced above. You also have to provide your telephone number ... so I gave them a number that hasn't been current for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by malowitz View Post
    Sale/special going on now:

http://www.tanga.com/products/backpa...bscription--21
    use coupon code WOOT to get it for $3.99/year.

Tanga deals are usually 12 or 24 hours so I don't know how long this one will last.
    Thanks man.

I had gotten the $12 deal in the mail, and was thinking of doing it...I appreciate your posting this.

I hate cyber mail and subscriptions and will never read them. I like having the magazine in my hands to read. Sure I like trees and the paper mag uses trees but your (and my) computer use electricity which is just as large if not larger carbon footprint. I am on my computer only once a day to check email, at times purchase items on ebay or sac and about once or twice a week check out whiteblaze. OTOH, I can use my magazine for reference for years and there is no further energy use.
    Also, I am not interested in the ultralight backpacking reads. Others may like the equipment but I have found thru use that they don't work as well, don't hold up and aren't as comfortable as the "normal" backpacking gear....just my opinion.

geek

geek

Images

If my daughter was not selling them for Girl Scouts, and neede so many subscriptions for her patch, I would not have touched it. Maybe I am just jelous b/c I can't afford the trips they talk about. Maybe I am out of my element, or does that element really exist? Is it just a construct of Backpacker Mag?

Help me out here. I used to subscribe to 'Outside' back in the 80s (before it became just another 'men's health... AKA 'Vogue for males')

IIRC, they spun off a magazine at some point that was targeted at hikers. Anyone recall what it was?
    Last edited by Sailing_Faith; 01-31-2012 at 11:22.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++