WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Freeze bag cooking

Wondering if there is a reliable general rule of thumb for how much less water/liquid to use than called for on the package of such things as rice & pasta sides, stuffing mix, mashed potatoes, etc. Two-thirds? A full half? Thanks.

I think it's mostly a matter of experience. Since I don't carry an extra measuring cup, it's really an educated guess. Most of the time I get a little much, just eat it as a soup or stew of whatever it is.

Journal Entries

I have my cup marked with a fine paint pen, 2 cup and 4 cup I also write on the food pkg how much water and what it is. If I put too much water in I call it a soup, not enough water, well I just add a little more water and call it a soup or eat it crunchy.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

I read a great trick for runny meals. Add instant mashed potatoes to thicken them. Should work well since they have a neutral flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbenderfc View Post
    I read a great trick for runny meals. Add instant mashed potatoes to thicken them. Should work well since they have a neutral flavor.
    Great idea.

+1 on the instant mashed. I always carry some. Weighs almost nothing in a snack-sized ziplock.

Also, the advice above about experience with your meal is spot on. Practice your recipes at home, and mark the amount of water needed on the bag. REI sells a super-lightweight camp cup with liquid measurement markings on it. I've also put sharpie markings on my spoon handle for measurements. Pour the water into your cup, dip the spoon handle in it and read the markings. Obviously, it depends on your cup/spoon combo, it's not a universal setup.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbenderfc View Post
    Yes! This is an age-old fix for to much water or as a great/cheap thickening agent! Have used it as a fix for over 25-yrs
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    +1 on the instant mashed. I always carry some. Weighs almost nothing in a snack-sized ziplock.

Also, the advice above about experimenting with your meals is spot on. Practice your recipes at home, and mark the amount of water needed on the bag. REI sells a super-lightweight camp cup with liquid measurement markings on it. I've also put sharpie markings on my spoon handle for measurements. Pour the water into your cup, dip the spoon handle in it and read the markings. Obviously, it depends on your cup/spoon combo, it's not a universal setup.
    Great advice: try it at home 1st! If it ain't good at home, you'll hate it on the trail!!!!! Supper is the BIG meal of the day, and you'll find yourself looking forward to supper ALL day. So, experiment at home and be sure your supper or dinner meal planning is the best you can design (it'll make you sleep better) Repackage store-bought meals into zip-locks to cut down on "trash out" and reduce weight!

Freezer-bag cooking is the way to go, weight, and clean-up wise! Mail drops are a thing of the past, buy in town, as your tastes will change as you progress along the trail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a few of my 2-cents from over 25+ years!

OH! Equipment: research and research, then buy the BEST the 1st time! The AT is not a place for 2nd best! Then try it out over a course of weekend trips and get use to it, and if needed repalce it before hitting that "Thru".

Also, some basic 1st ais training may save the day!!!!!!
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Some foods are very forgiving and with some you can drain off the excess. Couscous is very forgiving, so are instant oatmeal and instant potatoes. Minute rice is not so forgiving. Pasta is not forgiving but you can drain off the excess - but just make sure you don't overcook it to mush. My home made goulash is very forgiving. See my freezer bag cooking link in my signature for some ideas. I love freezer bag cooking. Sara's book is very good too.

Images

I have been toying with the idea of making my own meals in a freezer bag. This has been a helpful thread for ideas of how to fix various meals.

++ New Posts ++