WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is a 3.2 R-rating sleeping pad warm enough for a mid-March NOBO?

I have been looking at a pad with a 3.2 R-rating. Is this enough for my mid-March departure? My sleeping bag is a Feathered Friends Swallow 15 deg. bag (with 900 fill), and I generally sleep just a hair on the cool side of normal. What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thanks.

Which pad are you looking at?

I am looking at the new Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite pad that's coming out in Feb. 2012. Here's a link: http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...-xlite/product

I'd say easily but it depends on the surface you place it. If you sleep directly on snow that is different than plopping it into the wooden spot in a shelter.

I'd feel comfortalbe counting on that though... especially with a toasty bag like that one.

Images

I have spent plenty of nights on mine in a tarp tent and a sleeping bag no where near that warm well below freezing. but I have the original neo. However I would not get that pad.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72854-Exped-SynMat-UL-7-Air-vs.-Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir&highlight=

I
    now have 100's of miles on both pads since I wrote that thread.
    This pad is also new
    http://www.rei.com/product/811912/exped-exped-airmat-basic-ul-75-air-pad
    b
    ut I dont think it would be warm enough for you on cold night.

But I have also spent a few nights on a thermarest large neo air trekker even at 5'8" the 18" so called 20" neo is just too thin. If you dont believe me try folding up some towels to 18"and laying on them. Also the trekker doesnt have a hard plastic feel. you can rest your face on it. It also packs up all most as small as the regular size.
    http://www.rei.com/product/810375/therm-a-rest-neoair-trekker-sleeping-pad

I
    would love to try this one as well. Its lighter and warmer but $$$$
    http://www.rei.com/product/830684/th...n-sleeping-pad
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

I was going to head out to SW Va in December but had to postpone this section hike until March 13th.............have the original Neo Air and was going to also take a super light foam pad.............more the ground than air temp that gets me at 4-5am.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I would certainly attempt to hike with a 3.2R pad in mid-March/April through the Smokies. If you do find that it isn't warm enough, then pick up a thin closed-cell foam pad to augment at one of the trail towns along the way.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

or the blue walmart pad for 7 bucks.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

You could get a 1/8" foam pad from Gossamer Gear http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-8.html (or something similar) for $8 and 2.5 oz. Put that on top of your neoair in cold weather to boost insulation. when it warms up, send it home.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Grown View Post
    You could get a 1/8" foam pad from Gossamer Gear http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-8.html (or something similar) for $8 and 2.5 oz. Put that on top of your neoair in cold weather to boost insulation. when it warms up, send it home.
    Beat me to it.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Beat me to it.
    Same here...I have used my regular Neo with a 1/8" pad down to temps in the mid teens and been fine.

I am not going to be fond of the XLite simply due to the shape...since going to a full rectangular shaped pad, well, I ain't going back... However, as an alternative, you could look at the NeoAir All Season for a bit warmer pad. Possibly too warm though.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

For what its worth, I was just at REI and tested the new all-season NeoAir. Same size and comfort, higher R-rating, and the best thing is that it does not crinkle at all.

And they had the Xlite's in, too, and tested that. Same crinkling as the older model - which by the way they had several on clearance (older NeoAir).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    Same here...I have used my regular Neo with a 1/8" pad down to temps in the mid teens and been fine.
    Same here. Unlike what has been posted on here, I place the 1/8" pad UNDER my Neo. The physics of placing it on top never made sense to me and the 1/8" pad wants to move around too much as I flop around at night. With the 1/8" pad under my Neo it stays in place better. YMMV
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

++ New Posts ++