WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mountaineer Fallls to Over mountain is doable. The area north of 19 to about Elk River/ Jones Falls seems to be over used by the local 4 wheeler set. Have heard of local hostility, but did not encounter it last summer on a Sunday. Apple house loooked a tad shaby but usable. Stopped to chat with someone set up there. I can see that it would be a logical spot for the local kiids to head for with a six pack and pocketful of condoms. Mountain Harbor looked very comfortable and they had held a resupply for me that a buddy had dropped there. Doll Flats looked very comfortable on my way through.

Laurel Forks was not to my liking due to the location. Is there a chance it could be relocated closer to the river? I got to the shelter and remember thinking that it was a too bad it was way up on the side if the gorge when there is a really cool river right there. Passed several areas that would be fantastic sites for a shelter. Wound up tenting on the riverside. Also can see that it might draw a party crowd. While I was there several kids (18-20 year olds) passed through with no gear, no problem, but when you see that and then all the graffiti around the falls,...

Stan Murray looked OK. The water source was a bit small, but I could see using it. It's size and location would preclude large groups from occupying it.

Hiked from Carver's Gap to 19E in 2011. Stan Murray looked on the run down side. Apple house looked like it was in better shape than Stan Murray. We parked at the Harbor Mountain B&B and they shuttled us to Carver's Gap. Very nice people. Did not stay there but checked out the hostel area (top floor of their barn) and it was nice.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by waasj View Post
    Laurel Forks was not to my liking due to the location. Is there a chance it could be relocated closer to the river? I got to the shelter and remember thinking that it was a too bad it was way up on the side if the gorge when there is a really cool river right there. Passed several areas that would be fantastic sites for a shelter. Wound up tenting on the riverside. Also can see that it might draw a party crowd. While I was there several kids (18-20 year olds) passed through with no gear, no problem, but when you see that and then all the graffiti around the falls,...
    The problem is Laurel Fork Shelter is located inside the Pond Mtn wilderness area. Relocating is not a viable option. The creek waters are known to flood fairly high during extreme wet seasons. And the gorge is very accessible.

Right now, the ATC is considering possible removal of Laurel Fork. A replacement would be hard to come by. As the only possible place to built is probably on the climb up Pond Mtn and would have to be carried in by hand.

And with Kincora and Black Bear (about to open) and possibly Braemer (if it reopens) replacing Laurel Fork is not a high priority.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I did not stay the night there but the location of Laurel Fork Shelter is quite unique. Note the natural crevice behind it. It is quite unique. Perhaps boring to some but I try to note the these types of unique things along the trial.

That said, if it was moved to the top of Pond Mtn at least that would give you a reason to go there. Pond Mtn is the biggest PUD I have ever hiked.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just to let everyone know, Apple House Shelter is tentatively scheduled for removal next Tue, 28 Feb. I'll post more details as they become available. If anyone is interested in assisting let me know.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If it gets moved to a weekend in March, let me know.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

OK. I think it has to be down by 1 Apr, so if the date changes or if it takes longer than one trip, I'll let you know.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Viking we will have appy state trail crew up on 3 Mar and 28 May for trail work on Pond or Hughes Gap. It will more than likely by on Pond. We would love to have you join us. Sarge

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Tennessee Viking or Sarge (or anyone for that matter),

I updated the 2012 Maintenance Announcements on the homepage with the 3 March outing with ASU. Is it showing up on the homepage? The thread has been edited but I am not seeing the changes on the homepage.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Squid, I didnt see it.

Viking, We will have Hardcore on Pond on Sunday and South of Cloudland on Monday. Im not sure exactly where at Cloudland. My guess would be near Ash Gap.

Journal Entries
    Images

It should be visible now on the homepage. I used a different edit option and it seemed to work.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Its working great Squid

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Just to let everyone know, Apple House Shelter is tentatively scheduled for removal next Tue, 28 Feb. I'll post more details as they become available. If anyone is interested in assisting let me know.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    Carl told us yesterday that we could bring our own pry bar to help tear down Apple House, but should I bring a claw hammer as well?

Images

Sure Jim we dont have many claw hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge95 View Post
    Sure Jim we dont have many claw hammers.
    Thanks Sarge....I'll bring one!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Apple House Shelter is tentatively scheduled for removal next Tue, 28 Feb.
    Postponed at least a week. Wiil update as required.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Not sorry to see it go. Stayed at the Mountain Harbour hostel both times when I came through. Great hostel, limited space, but fantastic breakfast. Don't miss the breakfast, I swear it's the best on the whole trail!
    Last edited by Red Hat; 02-27-2012 at 17:47. Reason: correct hostel name

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Not sorry to see it go. Stayed at the Mountain House hostel both times when I came through. Great hostel, limited space, but fantastic breakfast. Don't miss the breakfast, I swear it's the best on the whole trail!
    I assume you mean "Mountain Harbor" - Mountain House makes expensive dehydrated stuff sold in Outdoor Stores for people that don't know how to shop otherwise ----+ 1 on "Mountain Harbor"- Hey Red Hat! When you going to get out again? You need to get back out....... I remember your outrageous off-trail, hitch-hike in Maine ...... good to see you on WB again!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Not sorry to see it go. Stayed at the Mountain Harbour hostel both times when I came through. Great hostel, limited space, but fantastic breakfast. Don't miss the breakfast, I swear it's the best on the whole trail!
    ABSOLUTELY. My youngest daughter's very first section hike started there. We drove over, spent the night above the horse barn, and had that FANTASTIC breakfast before setting foot on the trail. Real linen, real china, real goblets, and awesome food, including vegetarian. All the hikers at the table were trying to convince her that was a normal AT breakfast. LOL Then our first night on the trail was at Mountaineer Falls Shelter. She lost all illusions (?) she might have had about her old Dad "roughing it" when he went to backpack on the AT!!! LOL

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I assume you mean "Mountain Harbor" - Mountain House makes expensive dehydrated stuff sold in Outdoor Stores for people that don't know how to shop otherwise ----+ 1 on "Mountain Harbor"- Hey Red Hat! When you going to get out again? You need to get back out....... I remember your outrageous off-trail, hitch-hike in Maine ...... good to see you on WB again!!
    "outrageous hitchhike?" I assume you mean when I got lost & Cabana Boy and Dutch Tape picked me up and brought me back to the trail... or do you mean my road walk (not a hitch!) around Mahoosic Notch so I didn't end up dead like the moose? Actually I plan on doing Maine again this year. Walking the whole way. Been walking some all the time, including John Muir last year. Good to be back... I just gave the bs a rest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++