WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Soylent

Default Soylent

Soylent powder purports to contain all the essential nutrients your body needs at less than $4 per meal.
    http://soylent.me/ (page loaded slowly for me, but it eventually did load)

It got a less than favorable review here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/te...easurable.html

And the taste-test video is pretty amusing.
    http://www.nytimes.com/video/technol...aste-test.html

Anyone ever tried it? Anyone want to?
    Last edited by tiptoe; 05-29-2014 at 13:40.

It's PEOPLE !!!!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    It's PEOPLE !!!!
    Ha Ha Ha, as the minutes passed it was getting more difficult to not post the same thing.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I was wondering how it hung out there so long myself! Of course, how could I resist
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I'm embarrassed to say that I had to look this up. I've never been a huge Charleton Heston fan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say that I had to look this up. I've never been a huge Charleton Heston fan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4
    Neither am I...this movie was the worst, but the line is classic!

I was also wondering what people thought about Soylent. I just finished reading an older thread on the subject http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...one-tried-this

I think it's generally a bad idea to attempt a thru on Soylent alone. But what about adding it to my regular meals to make up for some of the caloric deficit?

Images

movie might of been bad but it came out when George Orwell and Ray Bradbury were big (they wrote books) and the future was questionable. even Bowie joined in. i don't think we can make one food that will meet all needs for all people.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Hey this stuff even inspired its own cartoon --

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...nt?showAll=yes

If it were not for the lousy movies...how could we appreciate the good movies?

(BTW...Soylent Green was Edward G. Robinsons's last movie..."...you dirty rat!"...one of his most memorable movie lines!)

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Just saw it on Colbert Report and was intrigued. An average hiker would probably have to eat 2x the mix (4000 cal) so the price starts to seem a little high at $20/day. They should probably work on flavored versions - chocolate, strawberry, and .... green, of course.

The GI problems kind of remind me of the protein supplements that weight lifters use. If you've ever tried them, you know they can produce some bad side effects.

There was a thread on here a while back about a food kibble for apes that zoos use and it appeared to work fine for humans, too. That seemed ideal for hiking because you could just have a bag of it and munch as you walked.

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    ...There was a thread on here a while back about a food kibble for apes that zoos use and it appeared to work fine for humans, too. That seemed ideal for hiking because you could just have a bag of it and munch as you walked.
    And after the first 100 miles of your thru hike, you'll be swinging from whiteblaze to whiteblaze through the treetops!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    movie might of been bad but it came out when George Orwell and Ray Bradbury were big (they wrote books) and the future was questionable. even Bowie joined in. i don't think we can make one food that will meet all needs for all people.
    KK....I think I might just be insulted that you'd think I didn't know who Orwell and Bradbury were. I don't remember Bowie in the movie though....was he dressed as Ziggy Stardust?

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post

(BTW...Soylent Green was Edward G. Robinsons's last movie..."...you dirty rat!"...one of his most memorable movie lines!)
    "You dirty rat" was Cagney. My favorite EGR role was Dathan in another Heston flick: The Ten Commandments. He was a biblical badguy in that one!

And after the first 100 miles of your thru hike, you'll be swinging from whiteblaze to whiteblaze through the treetops!
    "You dirty rat" was Cagney. My favorite EGR role was Dathan in another Heston flick: The Ten Commandments. He was a biblical badguy in that one!
    Trail dreamer, You just got schooled

trail dreamer, you just got schooled

++ New Posts ++