WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Other food I carried for snacks during the day...

Oatmeal cookies, fig or blueberry newtons, dense dry "square" bread from grocery deli section (about 5x the density of normal bread -- CANNOT eat it without ample water to wash it down unless you like choking on terminal hiccups!).

I tried to eat something at least every other break. Eating was moderately pleasant, but anything other than "open and eat" was a chore. I wore a boonie hat with a fully-opened bandanna under it in back, plus gloves and a long-sleeved windbreaker (Packa during sustained rain) even into temps in the 80s (protection mainly against ultraviolet, secondarily against brush and bugs, including ticks), so I sweat PLENTY while hiking. I never got the shakes, except from being cold for a bit after I stopped at Jarrad Gap.

Rawhide...........

During long distant hikes it's hard to stick to a consistent diet. I'd recommend lots of water, then some more water, all the protein (especially fish), fruit, vegetables, olive oil, nuts, dairy that you can find. Go easy on the candy, junk food and the alcohol.

I find soup at night is a great way to rehydrate. I boil water with lentils, and add herbs and dried vegetables. Have enough sodium somewhere in your food, but not too much. Know how much you have before you leave. Good natural source is skim milk powder. If you don't drink alot of that, you can have some in your jerky, or your soup mix. The soup mix would be a natural place to add some, as you will be rehydrating with it, but not too much. If you eat oats some of the protiens in oats are better digested if you add a pinch of salt.

My own routine is oats for breakfast, with varying things with it like skim milk, spices, nuts, seeds. Lentil soup for supper, with dried vegetables and herbs. Jerky for something to chew on now and then. Skim milk and tea and spices through the day and with meals. As I am currently overweight that is all usually enough to keep me going. If I was leaner, or if it was winter and I want to fuel myself warmer, I will add more nuts and seeds and oil to add more dense calories, nutritiously. I am now experimenting with a lower carb diet, which works out to alot of protien at 5000 kcal/day, so I'll have to see how that goes.

What I aim for:
    For every 1000 calories burned...
    20% protien = 50g
    20% carbos = 50g
    25% food fat = 28g
    35% body fat = 0.1 pounds of body fat

So if I think I've burned 5000 kcal per day, I would eat 250g protien, 250g carbs, 140g fats. Seems like alot of protien to me. I guess it would mean my usual diet, plus some pemmican, to bring up the protiens and fats to roughly par with the carbohydrates.

Oats
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Dried Blueberries
    Lentils
    Dried Vegetables
    Dried Herbs
    Skim Milk Powder
    Spices
    Pemmican ???

Pssstt...to anyone responding: this is a 6 year old thread!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Wow! Was this thread really started by Minnesotasmith?!?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just wrote [here] about how I think I'll refuel the beast during my 2012 Appalachian Trail thru-hike attempt. I appreciate your thoughts and comments!

Willy

Journal Entries

I have noticed when this thread was begun and read it all the way to the end. The reason I stumbled across this thread was my search for logical and easily packed items to take on a planned AT thru hike. I noticed all the technical info and calorie figures and stats and what not that were listed by some readers. The question that pops into my head is...who takes a calorie counter or measures their caloric loss or intake on a hike? I say just make it simple. I am not diabetic but I do have Crohn's and so those who do have certain conditions that make them step back and reevaluate their diets find out the truth about food. And that is, most people in most westernized or modern western cultures are waaaaaaay to programmed, due to capitolist ideas about the workforce and when and how long you can take a lunch etc. Three meals a day so we are programmed to basically gorge ourselves at mealtimes because we know we aren't going to have a moment to eat again until many hours later. In reality, we should be eating small portions many times during the day. That's what you find out when you hike, that snacking healthily during the day while hiking is much preferable to stopping and eating three large meals a day. Just make it simple and do some research but don't over analyze the eating process. Lord a mercy. But I will say this, I am allergic to soy, however, miso paste I can tolerate. I think that the curing process destroys what ever it is I'm allergic to. I'm also allergic to a majority of fresh fruits except bananas, strawberries and grapes. However, during the heating process of fruits it seems to also destroy what ever the allergen is. My doctor told me once that people should listen to their body and it will tell you what you need most of the time. If you have a craving for a certain food, your body is trying to tell you something. Such as, I don't really like meat. I'm not a vegetarian but I usually will only eat white chicken meat, crisp bacon, crisp sausage, I don't usually like beef but I do enjoy a siimple cheeseburger every now and when. Sometimes I will have a huge craving for fried chicken liver but after a serving I will again lose my appetite for them for another few months. My Dr told me that it was my Crohn's telling me to avoid meat since I probably had Crohn's since I was a kid and just didn't know it. Listen to your body when you are on the trail. I'm no expert on long thru hikes but I know what my body is telling me regardless of where or what I am doing. Don't make it too difficult or overly analyzed. I also ran track and did weight training. Another sport that overly analyzes every thing right down to how many minutes you have between your weigh lifting and consuming your protein source in order to maximize it's potential benefit. Please...just eat the dang cheeseburger and quit yappin'.

One thing I haven't found listed or suggested...Miso soup. If you can find a bag of the miso past its perfect! A spoonful of miso has enough salt and potassium to get your levels back up and prevent cramps. Its also light weight and can be added to anything. Put some in your water bottle and instant engery

Do a search for "NOLS Cookery". It has lots of recipes and tips for packing food for long term trips. I've tried plenty of the recipes and all the ones I tried are great.

Actually, here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Cookery-Nation.../dp/0811731081

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++