Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ladies recommendations for a pack for a small woman

Hello ladies. I'm looking for a very light (preferably internal frame with hipbelt) pack for my wife. She dropped me off this past weekend for an overnight trip with our chapter (which by the way the women outnumbered the men) and after picking me up and joining the group for supper and talking with some of the other ladies about all the fun and bonding etc. has expressed a desire to give it a try. She has done a lot of day hikes with me but has only ever used a fanny pack. She's 5'2" tall, 106lbs. I'm 55 years old and she is older than me so take age into consideration also. I will be carrying the two man tent, stove, 2 man quilt. She would only be carrying her air mattress, food, water, clothes, etc. but I don't want to rule out the possibility of a sleeping bag/quilt later on. I'm hoping she will stay under 15lbs but I'd like her to have the capability for more later on if necessary. What would be some good packs to look at? Remember very very light please. Thank you.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Have you considered Gossamer Gear packs (http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks.html)? Grasshopper is the same height/weight and uses the Mariposa Plus in the small size and it works great for her.

Journal Entries

granite gear,this pack is one of the best packs. for smaller women,just be sure to have it fitted by someone who knows what they are doing,lots of adjustments in this pack thats why it is the best.

Images

Lots of good choices out there. My wife is also on the small side and loves her Osprey Ariel 55. It's not ultralight, but Osprey does a great job making packs that fit women. It's available in a range of torso sizes, with interchangeable hip belts and shoulder harnesses. She's tried a lot of lighter packs over the years, and keeps the Ariel - it's worth the extra couple of pounds to her for the fit.

She might also have a look at the new Ohm 2.0 from ULA. I have an Ohm and a Circuit, and the Ohm 2.0 splits the difference nicely. For a <20 or 25 pound load it would be great, assuming her gear fits inside. It's available in smaller sizes and ULA offers an S-curved shoulder harness that might fit her better.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My daughter is 5'1" with a 15.5" torso and just under 100 pounds. She is using an Osprey Talon 33 S/M. It has an adjustable harness and I adjusted it a tad bit smaller than the "smallest" mark, which is easy to do with the velcro adjustment system. It fits her great, it's very light weight and she carries a bag, pad, 1/2 of our 3 man tent, and all her stuff just fine. She's running around 20 pounds total weight and the pack seems just fine.

She has also worn my Osprey Exos 34 small, but she has to pull it as small as it can go to wear it. I'd suggest that you have her try both these if possible. I don't see any reason to buy more than a 30-35 liter pack for a 15 pound load.

Images

ULA now has S straps for women I use a Circuit and am most happy with it
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Hike smarter, not harder.

Gossamer Gear. Mariposa+ would be huge though, try a Gorilla. Or check out Z-packs and MLD. If the load is under 15#, you really don't need a frame.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

my friend likes her really likes her GoLite Pinnacle for winter hiking. other seasons she uses Katahdin Ultralite Pack
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Thank you all for all the recommendations. We have been looking at them all, and now skinewmexico has given us a few more. My wife likes the Osprey Talon 33 and I can understand why. It's a really good looking pack. We are also looking at the Golite Peak especially since it's on sale. Any input on this pack would be appreciated. I have a ULA Circuit (second one as a matter of fact) and are considering the CDT just wondering if the small torso would be small enough and if the med. hipbelt at 35" and under would go as small as say 30". Any more input or recommendations would be great. Gonna keep looking. Thanks everyone.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    my friend likes her really likes her GoLite Pinnacle for winter hiking. other seasons she uses Katahdin Ultralite Pack
    Thanks kayak karl gonna give them a look.

Images

Get her measured!!! Her height/weight has nothing to do with size. At 5'7", I wear a small in most major brands if packs.

Regarding other packs listed... The Talon is a nice pack but only rides well when fully packed. It does not have a solid frame. (I owned one)

Try them on. That's the only way to find what works for her. Even in one brand, fit varies. I have and love my Osprey Atmos 50. Bought the 65 for more capacity in cold weather. Hate it!!

ULA... Great packs!! Do not fit me at all!

She's got to try on all the packs to find what works for her.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

+1 Cuffs
    I'm 5'6" and an x-small. (Which makes pack shopping my favorite shopping as I've never been an x-small in anything.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    +1 Cuffs
    I'm 5'6" and an x-small. (Which makes pack shopping my favorite shopping as I've never been an x-small in anything.)
    Exactly!! It's the only time I'll ever wear a small again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Get her measured!!! Her height/weight has nothing to do with size. At 5'7", I wear a small in most major brands if packs.

Regarding other packs listed... The Talon is a nice pack but only rides well when fully packed. It does not have a solid frame. (I owned one)

Try them on. That's the only way to find what works for her. Even in one brand, fit varies. I have and love my Osprey Atmos 50. Bought the 65 for more capacity in cold weather. Hate it!!

ULA... Great packs!! Do not fit me at all!

She's got to try on all the packs to find what works for her.
    Definitely gonna get her measured. I got a feeling she's smaller than small, but I don't know for sure like you said. I know how important this is, that's why I wanted your input. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I was hiking with a woman this weekend who is nearly exactly my wife's size. Poor little lady had a pack that she said was a medium and it was huge on her. She asked me to help her adjust it but when I did I maxed out (in) the waist belt and it wasn't enough, maxed out the shoulder straps and that wasn't enough, maxed out the load lifters and that wasn't enough. I really felt for her, she was hiking knock-kneed. She had a sleeping pad strapped to the bottom of the pack and all I could see of her from behind was from the bend of her knees to the ground. It was kinda funny to look at but at the same time it wasn't funny at all. I want my wife to feel good from the start so she doesn't get discouraged. Again, thanks to you and everyone else for the input.

Sounds like the wrong torso length. A person's torso length can be the complete opposite of their otherwise perceived size. In my case I have long legs and a very short torso hence I wear an x-small in a pack. Funny observation: My mother-in law is 4 inches shorter than my father-in law standing up, but if they're sitting she ends up appearing taller than him. That woman is all torso!

Images

Maren is spot on! Overall height is not the sizer. I have fit men over 6' I to small and medium packs. Alllll legs. And some of them need the hip belt switched out for large!

Images

I'm selling my ULA CDT with a small torso, medium hipbelt for $110 if you're interested. I had the issue of a small frame myself and the only thing that fit me was this CDT. I'm buying a customized lighter pack and need to sell this one, otherwise I'd keep it for more use. I'm 5'2" and I believe my waist goes down to like between 30 and 32". Just a few thoughts.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

One other option that I obtained for my 5'5", 110 pound daughter: The women's REI Flash 52. She actually had the older women's Flash that we were looking to replace with an Osprey or Granite Gear Ki, but the new Flash fit her like a glove and she loved it over the course of our week-long section hike.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I love my ULA. I'm skinny and had a small hipbelt, I think. Good luck!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Hike smarter, not harder.

The good thing about packs like Gossamer Gear and ULA (besides providing jobs in America) is that when you call them with a fit question, you'll probably talk to the owner/designer. Take advantage of that kind of service.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++