WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Sleeping Bag Liner Question

I came across a length of lycra/polyester in the clearance section of a local crafts store today. I immediately thought of grabbing it to make a sleeping bag liner out of - however, there wasn't a full 2 yards left on the roll. I took all they had, figuring with the stretch factor of the fabric, and geometry, I could make something work with the fabric. If not, then I'm only out about $5.

The piece is ~62"x~62". If I'm standing on my tip-toes and hold the length in front of me, with it just touching the ground at the bottom (simulating sleeping with feet fully extended), the top comes a bit below my shoulders.

Now, I know that the fabric will stretch, and I also don't need it long enough to put over my head, so this may be a good length to work with. Here are a few ideas I have to try to make this work with what I have.

1) Add some kind of elastic to the open end of the liner, where I can pull it up over my shoulders and it won't just pull itself down, but also not so tight that it'll cause any problem with my throat.
    2) Use the diagonal of the fabric to serve as the length and try to figure out a way to fold pieces together/sew it together to make it work.

I can't logically think of a way to make 2 work, so I'm leaning more towards 1 (since it's also something I can add in afterwards if I decide that it's a bit too small for me).

Any input?

Images

Oh, I forgot to include a third idea I had: essentially making a cylinder corresponding to the top 62" length that the liner would be, then add a fleece pocket at the top for a little extra foot warmth and make up the last bit of the length needed. I could also add a ring of some other material at the top to finish the length, for that matter...

There is no reason why you have to make the whole thing out of "stretchy" fabric. You might not want the stretchy stuff around your feet, or you might not want the stretchy stuff up on your chest at the upper entrance area.

In either case, you could find another nice fabric for a foot or two of length to serve as the less stretchy top or foot, or both.

If you are going to have zippers open and close anything, you might not want to tie these directly to stretchy fabric.

As to where to have stretchy vs non-stretch fabric, I haven't got any clear ideas.

My wife made me one that looks like a big pillow case. I only wanted it long enough to come up to under my arms inside of my sleeping bag. In the summer I use it when camping in my hammock as my sleeping bag.

++ New Posts ++