WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: DIY Pillow??

Images

Default DIY Pillow??

I am the type of person that needs a pillow of some form to get a good sleep, weather it is in my hammock or in a shelter I have found that a pillow lets me get a much better sleep. I have used my clothing stuff sack with whatever clothes im not wearing at the time in there, but at times I am wearing all my clothing. What is a good cheap, lightweight pillow I can use??

Try a set of water wings. Cut them at the seam, so they lay flat, blow them up and put them into a stuff sack.

A water bladder in a stuff sack (with air or water) will work.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

There are some inflatable "Travel Pillows" that you can find. I disliked the ones I was able to get.

You can always put leaves or grass inside a stuff sack if you are wearing all of your clothes, and since you can pick up leaves or grass for each night, there is no extra weight to carry.

Images

Mammut makes an incredible inflatable pillow, problem is its not cheap. As a hammocker, I love it!!! It's digbone shaped so you get the neck support but it allows your head to fall back a bit further. Around $35-40... 6 ounces. It's my luxury item.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by dhock83 View Post
    I am the type of person that needs a pillow of some form to get a good sleep, weather it is in my hammock or in a shelter I have found that a pillow lets me get a much better sleep. I have used my clothing stuff sack with whatever clothes im not wearing at the time in there, but at times I am wearing all my clothing. What is a good cheap, lightweight pillow I can use??

Exped Air Pillow IMO the best pillow for comfort and weight, mine weighs 2.9oz
    http://www.rei.com/product/797662/exped-air-pillow

Images

I "requisitioned" a rarely found airline blanket, had it sewn into a pillowcase, I put my stuff sack with clothes inside. Does not slide around or off my head/face like a sil sac, very light, really comfortable. Definite luxury item and would probably get an OK from the ultralight crowd.

Leaves or grass.......really?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Exped Air Pillow IMO the best pillow for comfort and weight, mine weighs 2.9oz
    http://www.rei.com/product/797662/exped-air-pillow
    That one wasn't thick enough to be comfortable for me. I went with: http://www.rei.com/product/766035/co...ir-core-pillow It's .7oz heavier but it's also about twice as thick and less money.

This isn't a DIY pillow but I have been considering getting the Hyperlite Mountain Gear cube. Stuff sack pillow. It's 10x14 inches, made of cuben fiber, has a water proof zipper ( acts as a dry sack for your clothes and if anything happens to be damp inside your head doesn't end up wet in the night) and one side is covered in fleece.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com...ck-pillow.html

That should say cuben stuff sack pillow.

++ New Posts ++