WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 10 Days in April - How far from Approach Trail should I plan??

All, Thank you in advance,.....
    I have up to 14 days off in April and am thinking of heading down to GA and hiking north. Subtracting 2-3 days for R/T Drive/shuttle times, it leaves me with about 9-10 total trail days - I figure I'll need a day for the approach trail.
    For an experienced backpacker just getting back in to it for the season, Am I being to optimistic about 7-8 mile days in this area of mountains? Or conversely, Am I being a woose for planning for about 70 miles?
    Is one area better for a shuttle than another - between Dick's Creek (US76) or Deep Gap (USFS71), or should I bite the bullet and try to make it to Rte 64 (Winding Stair Gap)?
    Foolish minds need to know......
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Having quit smoking and having done a lot of snowshoeing during the winter, I was able to do 15 miles days pretty much right out of the gate starting at Springer (W/approch) on April 7th. (2011)

YMMV - just go for it and see how far you get. Lots of places to jump off when you need too. Not too much risk of being someplace you can't get out of quickly when you need to leave.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

You are being a ninny (HA HA) - GA, despite what you hear is NOT that hard - plan on the first 2 days at 8-10 miles each, then step it up to 15 mile days - I think you could get to the NOC if you wanted to (at least to Franklin, NC) - you are an experienced hiker - I wouldn't say this to a newbie - just do it. p/m me and I'll drive up (NOC is 3 hrs from me) and buy you a beverage.
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-29-2012 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    All, Thank you in advance,.....
    I have up to 14 days off in April and am thinking of heading down to GA and hiking north. Subtracting 2-3 days for R/T Drive/shuttle times, it leaves me with about 9-10 total trail days - I figure I'll need a day for the approach trail.
    For an experienced backpacker just getting back in to it for the season, Am I being to optimistic about 7-8 mile days in this area of mountains? Or conversely, Am I being a woose for planning for about 70 miles?
    Is one area better for a shuttle than another - between Dick's Creek (US76) or Deep Gap (USFS71), or should I bite the bullet and try to make it to Rte 64 (Winding Stair Gap)?
    Foolish minds need to know......
    you can make winding stair gap easily in the amount of time you alloted. the terrain is not that difficult . mostly switchbacks

Images

Yes - Lone Wolf's estimate might even be conservative - if you can get to Winding Stair Gap, you can get to NOC - it's 27 more very nice miles - including a rock lookout tower (Wayah Bald) and a fire tower (Tellico Gap) - go for it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    You are being a ninny (HA HA) - GA, despite what you hear is NOT that hard - plan on the first 2 days at 8-10 miles each, then step it up to 15 mile days - I think you could get to the NOC if you wanted to (at least to Franklin, NC) - you are an experienced hiker - I wouldn't say this to a newbie - just do it. p/m me and I'll drive up (NOC is 3 hrs from me) and buy you a beverage.
    +1 about making it to Franklin or the NOC. I just hiked from Springer to the NOC in 9 lollygagging hiking days & that included hitchhiking into Helen, Hiawassee & Franklin. Great Terrain & GA is a fun section
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

If you figure a couple basically zero days for re-supply then Deep Gap or Rt. 64 would work out fine. Route 64 is a little more accessible for a shuttle. The terrain in mountainous. It's not crazy but it's a workout. Don't be in a hurry. It's a nice section. Mountain Crossing is a good stop, so is Hiawassee.
    virgil

Journal Entries
    Images

if you stop in Hiawassee make sure you hit the South Shore Cafe,it's on the main drag across from the HUGE Beautiful Church. It just opened in November. It was the best coffee & breakfast I ate on the trail. After finishing my meal, the waitress said, if you need a ride back to the trail, my dad, the owner will take you back & he did, great folks & great place to spend that in town cash, a true mom & pop place! told me he was originally from Near New Orleans & brought his strong coffee recipe with him : O )
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

If you plan on taking an entire day to hike the approach trail then you aren't going very far very fast. I did it in less then 5 hours with a full pack. Its only 8.8 miles.

I wouldn't describe Georgia as "easy" - it's constant up and down but the grading is reasonable. But I hiked the Approach Trail and AT to Winding Stair Gap in 10 days so you can also. Don't plan on necessarily reaching the NOC but see how you feel as the hike progresses and judge accordingly. Great section of trail - good luck! The rhododendron will remind you of PA.

I did 10 days last April, went from Springer to Winding Stair Gap.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

It took me six days to go from Amicalola to Standing Indian (3 12-mile days and then 3 18-milers). We started slowly to accompany an aspiring thru-hiker. I found Georgia to be a lot easier than everyone complains about, although having nice cool dry weather certainly helped. I covered the section from Standing Indian to NOC earlier this year, and I thought it was even easier than Georgia. So, if you're experienced but out-of-shape then I'd shoot for Franklin, but you could cover the 27 miles from Franklin to NOC in an easy two days if you're in decent shape. I really liked hiking that section in mid-May with the trees leafed out but before the heat kicked in.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

I would say, based on your post, that Windingstar 64 would be the perfect time frame. I am in good shape and workout and I did the GA section in 8 TOUGH days ( and I am not a super fast paced hiker because I like to be adventurous and see the beauty ) and it is 30 miles from Bly to Windingstar (64)
    so if you're mentally up for some tough terrain, 10 days might get you Windingstair -
    maybe.

Check my journal at trailjournals.com/QiWiz to see how far I went each day, last year, beginning on 4/9 at noon on the approach trail, hiking N from Springer beginning on 4/10. You might or might not do the same, depending on your experience, fitness, and willingness to hike longer days. I'm 57 and overweight but in better shape than most of my similarly challenged (corporeally and chronologically) brethren. I also carry a light pack, which helps immensely. I camped just N of Winding Stair Gap (AT mile 107.7) on day 9 from Springer, and got to the NOC (AT mile 135) mid-day on day 11 from Springer. Either of these would be places you could end a section hike. For these miles I resupplied at Mountain Crossings and the Blueberry Patch using maildrops.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Thanks Everyone - By the looks of it, I shuldn't have any problem getting to Winding Stair Gap (or further in 10 days)

As far as taking a day for the approach trail, I just figured I would want to spend my first night down there at the shelter on Springer just before FS42. So I might as well enjoy the hike up the approach and take my time....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    If you plan on taking an entire day to hike the approach trail then you aren't going very far very fast. I did it in less then 5 hours with a full pack. Its only 8.8 miles.
    Hey... aren't you the one who had all the knee problems later?!! You young people never learn!

By the way, another vote for Winding Stair Gap. Getting to Wesser (aka "NOC") would be pushing it for most folks.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 02-03-2012 at 11:31.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++