WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again: superfeet suck. Arches are too high and in the wrong spot. They're ridiculously expensive. Superfeet fanboys will tell you it's perfectly acceptable for your feet to hurt for a week or two. What crap! Would you walk out of a shoe store wearing shoes that hurt your feet as much as your insoles? No wayl.
    It is sometimes better to be silent and thought to be a fool, than make a post like this and remove all doubt. Ignorance must be bliss. Using your analogy several shoes would never get sold. Who on here has ever bought boots or shoes that they had to break in. Who on here started with vibrams(or other minimalist shoes) and had to get your feet used to them. Not any one thing is perfect for everybody but to suggest that something can't be right for anybody because there is a breakin period is pure ignorance.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

What's stupid Doc is recommending insoles that hurt people's feet, and saying that's normal and wonderful. There are so many shoes of boots of so many different designs that there is absolutely no need whatsoever to walk out of a shoe store wearing shoes or insoles that hurt your feet. That's idiotic. But enjoy your sore feet, limper.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    What's stupid Doc is recommending insoles that hurt people's feet, and saying that's normal and wonderful. There are so many shoes of boots of so many different designs that there is absolutely no need whatsoever to walk out of a shoe store wearing shoes or insoles that hurt your feet. That's idiotic. But enjoy your sore feet, limper.
    Enjoy being blissful.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

What's stupid is claiming it is stupid to recommend something that works well for them.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Well call it wishful thinking or call it a self fulfilling prophecy.....but they are starting to feel much more comfortable! Just need to get some more miles on them before Springer! Thanks for everyone's input.

Quote Originally Posted by marty1983 View Post
    Well call it wishful thinking or call it a self fulfilling prophecy.....but they are starting to feel much more comfortable! Just need to get some more miles on them before Springer! Thanks for everyone's input.
    I would still carry the orig inserts, just in case. There are threads on WB on how to turn those orig inserts into cheap/lightweight camp shoes.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Also try power step insole, run about 18-24 dollars for a pair depending on the style you pick so generally cheaper than superfeet. My friend thats a podiatrist recommended them to me. And if you can afford it (some health care insurance providers cover it) try a custom insole.

Also...the blue ones say don't use in a gore-tex boot/shoe (or at least my 2 year old package did). Something about the bottom edge cut square, not rounded and it will tear the membrane. Can somebody confirm this?

I wore Superfeet green for my entire thru hike. I wore them before the trail to see how they would work out and my feet did hurt a little bit. They hurt for about two days and then the pain went away. Just gotta break em in. Superfeet green and Merrel Moab Ventilators are the only thing I hike in now.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I could only use the blue, the green killed my arches. Used them the entire way SOBO.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I like Superfeet..............they do a nice job at keeping my heel planted = no blisters on the back of my feet.

They also hold up, easy to take out at night to dry everything out..............good gear.

I got a new pair of shoes (KEEN Voyagers) in Manchester Center from EMS during my thru hike. The salesperson at EMS spent a lot of time with me and did a great job of fitting me. He suggested Superfeet green and I walked out of the shop and all the way to Katahdin without any pain. I love the superfeet and wear them today just walking around my property.

This has come up many many times. So for the interest of clearing some things up, here goes.
    Superfeet work for some, and don't for some. It really, really depends on your foot. If you have high arches
    the green will work for you. And yeah you do have to break them, both before the trail and to get some comfort out
    of them. The blue is supposed to work for flat narrow feet. It seems too me that they they have a one size fits all
    mentality. Which leads to injury for most hikers.

They never worked for me. I use either Montrail/ or Sole insoles. I use them because they are heat molded,(more or less custom) and because
    the arch support is a little further back. The thing I really like is that the forefoot is wide enough so that I can trim it to fit my
    shoe. And have it snug to the edge. I was never able to do that with the blue, as they were just too narrow,
    and it left an annoying little gap that my toes would rub against.

Anyway, they are money back guaranteed, so you really don't have much to lose.

Good luck.
    Happy hunting.

Journal Entries

Some just dont get it.
    Your superfeet insoles dont "break in".
    Your foot "breaks in" to the insoles.
    Feet are moldable, and take on the shape of the footwear.
    Many feet are damaged from years of wearing poor shoes, many arches are flat, etc. (especially women as ladies shoes are horrible, 100% fashion)

An incorrect arch, causes other problems , from ankle,to knee, to back as the body has to shift alignment to compensate and restore balance.

Or course shoes can still have a big effect, even with an insert.
    This is what Mr. Alzner made his orthotics to correct long ago.
    You can argue all day we dont need orthotics, we should be barefoot, have strong foot muscles, etc. Maybe you would be right. But damage is done to feet over time, just like the Chinese foot-binding, wearing shoes, especially poorly designed shoes have damaged mosts feet to some extent over years, and it affects the whole body.

Yes they will hurt, but once they get broken in they are fine and will prolong the life of your shoe.

Images

I like the orange ones.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Superfeet worked for me. I used orange most recently in Asics trail runners. I had some pain in the ball of my foot and went to the podiatrist. He recommended that I try Powerstep orthotics, so I bought a pair from him $50.00. More padding under the ball of the feet than Superfeet and a little extra cushioning in the heel. The arch is where you might expect it to be, not as far back as Superfeet. So far so good. I have 50 trail miles on them in my new Moabb Ventilators, plus another 50 or so in town (between this winter's gout attacks).

I also had some Chaco inserts which came with a pair of Beckwith shoes. The shoes were a tad short, so I gave them away after trying to make them work for too long, but kept the insoles. They look like woven carbon fiber underneath, but that is probably just for looks. They are purple and are still the most comfortable orthotic insoles I've ever used, but they're just about used up. Chaco no longer makes boots nor do they make removable orthotic inserts.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default Superfeet insoles

I've hiked about 20 miles in my green sf and I just got them the other day. My feet didn't require a breaking in period as I've suffered no soreness.

Must be all that trail runnin in five fingers...
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++