WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default No stove = no weight

So I finally cooked with just an esbit cube and 2 rocks. It was liberating. For me it was a break through, mind you the esbit stove does not weigh much- it was the principle. The best part was That I got to show my children how it worked. Maybe they will bypass all of the contraptions, combinations, and money spent that I did (or is that the only way to the lesson?).

I also got rid of my big Gerber multi-tool. Truth be told after packing it for 3 years I have never used anything but the knife. Now I have a tiny little Gerber someting or other- like a keychain knife or something.

Be well friends

Garlic
    Images

You can also use three tent stakes for your pot stand. It's easier to set up a wind screen.

Congratulations on your revelations. I still feel that way every time I lift my pack.

And yes, I think everyone has to come to it on his or her own. Especially if it's a parent giving the lesson.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

So I've actually been seriously looking at Esbit for a cooking option. Last camping trip I had hit 8*F. My canister stove failed miserably, my backup alky stove barely worked and after an ounce had barely provided luke warm water.

Everything I've looked up for esbit has been mixed reviews on use in cold weather. A few people say it struggles in cold. Some say it's fine in the deep cold (with use of a good windshield to hold the heat). And the manufacture even claims cold have no effect on it.

What's your opinions on effectiveness of the esbit down to single digit temps?

-scum

Try wetfire( kind of an expense) or Weber Charcoal fire starters. They both will heat water or start a fire. I am going hiking on Sheltowee Trace last week of Feb. and I am going to try to cook on a Swedish Torch fire. I have made several at home and it is very easy if you use the stick type and not the split log type.

The sweedish torch was a bit more than I'm looking for but I'm very interested in the Weber Charcoal Fire Starters. Did some quick googling to check them out and it looks promising. The results seem to be comparable enough to esbit but much cheaper. I'm still not seeing any information about deep cold weather performance though. I guess I'll just have to buy both and do some testing...

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by 58starter View Post
    Try wetfire( kind of an expense) or Weber Charcoal fire starters. They both will heat water or start a fire. I am going hiking on Sheltowee Trace last week of Feb. and I am going to try to cook on a Swedish Torch fire. I have made several at home and it is very easy if you use the stick type and not the split log type.
    Wetfires don't burn as long as Esbits. I have a friend that said they burned longer, so I bought some and tried them. They don't smell as bad, but their burn time probably wouldn't boil 2 cups of water when the air temperature is near freezing.

What the heck is a Swedish Torch?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Wetfire has yet to produce a boil of 2 cups for me, even in warm weather, although i use the esbit in the wetfire ti stove. My esbit has done well in all conditions, but the windscreen is the most important part. I have tried to rig rock windscreens, and although the water was hot, it did not produce a full boil. I use esbit for morning coffee (due to pre-coffee bumbling), but always try to use a standard wood fire for dinner. Hence not even carrying fuel for dinner.

Little by little, one travels far. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Cat food can stove weights 0.3 ounces, serves as pot stand and burner....fairly hard to beat, incredibly simple

Journal Entries
    Images

I haven't carried a stove on my last 3 or 4 sections, but after walking into Davenport gap shelter & seeing a sobo with just a pot over an open fire, I think I'll start carrying a pot, since on the AT you resupply once every 3-5 days, I can carry cold food & then a few meals to cook when I feel like heating them up. Just a thought
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

If you go to YouTube and type swedish tourch, you will find several, I like the one made of several 1-2 inch sticks tied together and made into a fire, you can just sit your pot on top of it and it will boil.

The Swedish Torch:

I saw this a while back. I plan to give it a try next time I go car camping...

Oh yeah...and IME the WetFire only burns 5-6 minutes and will not bring 2 cups of water to a boil. As well, it produces much more soot than the Esbit. OTOH, my Esbit generally burns for 15 - 17 minutes and will bring 2 cups of water to boil in 9 minutes.
    Last edited by STICK; 02-04-2012 at 23:11.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 58starter View Post

It's my opnion that WetFire & Esbit are the same thing... just an FYI - and I am with Tinker I think wetfire are smaller.... so no They would be left at home.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

So I finally cooked with just an esbit cube and 2 rocks.
    That'skeepinitsimpleallright. I likeit

Images

Esbit does have a fishy smell prior to burning, but I keep them in a little ziplock. After they burn they leave a black tacky residue on your pot, but it's no big deal. Esbit is on the cheap side of what they are pushing these days. Next time out I am going to try boiling 2 separate pots of 2 cups of water. I am sure it will work. Esbit boils water beautifully- no questions. My coldest attempt might have been 20 degrees F.

For a pot I use an old aluminum Boy Scout pot with a lid ( 20 oz?). I love it! My mom and dad bought it for me30 years ago. I would love some of the other safer materials- but this is all I have now. The key to my operation is a home made fire screen. I make it out of layers of tin foil- much tin foil. Without this piece I don't think my system would work- for real- gotta have the tin foil wind screen.

This little collection of things that make up the kit are dear to me. Price, function, and reuse. I love beating the mass commericalism that is out there today. Jet Boil? I am sure they have a dandy product. But I have limited means and I will not be hiking overseas anytime soon. Esbit rules people. And thanks to Lynne Wheldon for helping me find the courage to walk in to the woods with almost nothing on my back.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
    Esbit does have a fishy smell prior to burning, but I keep them in a little ziplock. After they burn they leave a black tacky residue on your pot, but it's no big deal. Esbit is on the cheap side of what they are pushing these days. Next time out I am going to try boiling 2 separate pots of 2 cups of water. I am sure it will work. Esbit boils water beautifully- no questions. My coldest attempt might have been 20 degrees F.

For a pot I use an old aluminum Boy Scout pot with a lid ( 20 oz?). I love it! My mom and dad bought it for me30 years ago. I would love some of the other safer materials- but this is all I have now. The key to my operation is a home made fire screen. I make it out of layers of tin foil- much tin foil. Without this piece I don't think my system would work- for real- gotta have the tin foil wind screen.

This little collection of things that make up the kit are dear to me. Price, function, and reuse. I love beating the mass commericalism that is out there today. Jet Boil? I am sure they have a dandy product. But I have limited means and I will not be hiking overseas anytime soon. Esbit rules people. And thanks to Lynne Wheldon for helping me find the courage to walk in to the woods with almost nothing on my back.
    Love the idea & sorry I miss read the OP, pertaining to my earlier reply, so easy to carry the cubes than to have to build a fire from scratch.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Well that might be good for folks to know - HEET leaves no residue and Wood & Ethanol and Esbit is a mess on pots.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++