WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Swiss Miss shrinkage

Did anyone else notice that the Swiss Miss hot chocolate packages conveniently shrunk about 20%? Some old(er) packets I have are labeled as 28 g net wt but the new ones I just bought tip the scale at 23 g (with the packet) and discretely say "not labeled for individual sale". Nice. Interestingly enough the instructions still say to use 6oz of water, so I'm guessing they juiced it with some flavor enhancer to make you not notice the lack of sugar or chocate (or both).

This stuff always ticks me off, unless the serving size before was way off I would much prefer keeping it the same and just raise the price.

Let the Seinfeld jokes begin.

Images

"I was in the pool!"

Inflation sucks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Swiss Miss has nothing to do with male shrinkage ... uh when it comes to 20 somethings.... oh never mind - did you fall off you computer office chair?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

not that theres anything wrong with that.......

Take a look at jars of peanut butter and loaves of bread. Pound of coffee can be about 11 ounces these days.

Like a frightened turtle.

Dunno about you, but if I were given the choice between paying a higher price for the same size or paying a lower price for a smaller amount, I'd rather pay more. But of course rather than being honest and upfront about raising the price, most companies reduce the quantity (and very possibly the quality as well) in the hope that you won't notice. Unfortunately the only thing we as consumers can do is not buy the product any more.

One of the silly "60 Minutes" or some such show did a piece on this kind of scam a few years ago and had an industry spokesman on. With straight faces on both sides of the camera here was the story: downsizing package content is a benefit to the consumer because it allows him to continue to enjoy an approximation of the buying experience he was accustomed to, without the drastic price increase that would otherwise be required and that would damage his buying experience.

I am not making this up.

My head just exploded. I suppose I can't say I am surprised companies go to this level, but I do honestly find it disturbing.

"A pound of coffee can be 11oz", now honestly, this must be able to be fought under false advertising? Any elementary school child knows a pound is 16oz irregardless of the item in question.

Default Ice cream too

It's hard to find a half gallon of ice cream anymore.

They don't label it as a pound, but what we used to refer to as 'a pound of coffee' is now more correctly called 'a can of coffee'.

Shrinking product instead of raising prices is an old, old custom. A simple and visible one is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. They're downright tiny nowadays.

A hiker complained it was too heavy so we lightened it. Now he complains it's not large enough...sheesh!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

theyve(you know, "them") been doing it with cereal for years.it seems only milk and gas are impervious to shrinkage, although its impossible to buy 1 gallon of gas(unless you have .9 cents on you.)
    the other laughable label is nutritional content. that snack bar at first glance told you it was only 160 calories. you look a little further and that snack bar is actually 2 portions!
    although it does give me more energy for "feats of strength."

It seems like there's only on way to combat the obesity problem in America -- raise food prices. Much like air pollution, only one way to combat it, raise energy prices. What's the problem

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird04217 View Post
    Any elementary school child knows a pound is 16oz irregardless of the item in question.
    Just as any elementary school child should know there is no such word as irregardless.

That being said, perhaps they are just following the backpacker's maxim, Weighs less, provides same benefits.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Forget about the size of a Swiss miss packet, instead look at the ingredient list. When was the last time you saw the word "chocolate" make an appearance? I don't care if the packet is 28g or 23g, it still contains about 0g of chocolate. (This does not in any way mean that I would refuse a cup of it on a winter night on the trail)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

the instant water packets are still the same size they were when i was a kid.some things never change.(just add water).

Images

Swiss Miss, Spacefood Sticks, Pop-Tarts,and Dinty Moore Beef Stew. That is all I carried as a young lad!

Some of the hot chocolate found in the dollar store are still "full size". Old stock no doubt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++