WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Attn: previous thru-hikers -- FOOD & ETIQUETTE -- 8 questions

Previous thru-hikers:

RE: FOOD & ETIQUETTE QUESTIONS

(1) When you were on the trail, how did your food tastes change? What foods did you crave when you were on the trail?
    (2) When did you want hot foods?
    (3) Did you eat hot foods every day?
    (4) How many times per day did you use your stove?
    (5) IF you used a JETBOIL, how many days did a single fuel canister last? Did you have any trouble finding jetboils along the way?
    (6) IF you are VEGETARIAN/VEGAN, what foods did you crave? What foods did you eat that you normally do not eat? Did you eat any meat products along the trail even though you are vegetarian at home?
    (7) If I planned on not using a stove, when would I really miss using a stove? Would it be rude to ask another hiker for a cup of hot water? If I do ask another hiker for a cup of hot water, are there any trail favorites that I could use in trade for a cup of hot water? (I would want to make an offering and not leech off of others that are carrying the weight of a stove and fuel).
    (8) In general, were there any items that people traded on the trail? (Food or other)

Please quote the questions that you choose to reply to in your response.

Thank you,
    PinkRaven

Images

I am currently a section hiker but learned about no-cook mode from thru-hikers like Trek and Eric D.

There is a ton of great no cook food. Lighter. Simpler. Eat like a pig in town. Hikers do share all kinds of things as I do.

What I like best is not being tied to camping near water...........as long as I have enough to drink I am good. Have tented in some amazing mountain-top spots.

(1) When you were on the trail, how did your food tastes change? What foods did you crave when you were on the trail? They changed. Got tired of ramen and most of the other easy foods available along the trail. I craved fried chicken. I would make it a point to buy some and take it for my first day out of town.
    (2) When did you want hot foods? Morning for breakfast/coffee, diner.
    (3) Did you eat hot foods every day? Yes
    (4) How many times per day did you use your stove? 2/3
    (5) IF you used a JETBOIL, how many days did a single fuel canister last? Did you have any trouble finding jetboils along the way?
    (6) IF you are VEGETARIAN/VEGAN, what foods did you crave? What foods did you eat that you normally do not eat? Did you eat any meat products along the trail even though you are vegetarian at home?
    (7) If I planned on not using a stove, when would I really miss using a stove? Would it be rude to ask another hiker for a cup of hot water? If I do ask another hiker for a cup of hot water, are there any trail favorites that I could use in trade for a cup of hot water? (I would want to make an offering and not leech off of others that are carrying the weight of a stove and fuel). If I didn't want to carry a stove I don't think I would bum off others.
    (8) In general, were there any items that people traded on the trail? (Food or other) You can't give ramen away.

Thank you,
    PinkRaven[/QUOTE]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRaven View Post
    Previous thru-hikers:

(1) When you were on the trail, how did your food tastes change? What foods did you crave when you were on the trail?

SIMPLE FOODS - OATMEAL, POTATOES, ETC. TASTED SOO GOOD.

EVENINGS MOSTLY PLUS BREAKFAST COFFEE

PRETTY MUCH - AT LEAST 1X DAY

USUALLY 2X DAY

WHEN I WENT THRU, THEY DIDN'T EXIST - I USED GAS BUT CANISTERS HAVE BECOME PRETTY EASY TO GET

I BECAME A VEGETARIAN ON THE TRAIL - I DID EAT A LOT OF BEANS, BROWN RICE, PEANUT BUTTER, ETC. - NOW, I EAT TUNA (SOMETIMES) AND SEITAN BARS (VEGGIE JERKY)
    (7) If I planned on not using a stove, when would I really miss using a stove? Would it be rude to ask another hiker for a cup of hot water? If I do ask another hiker for a cup of hot water, are there any trail favorites that I could use in trade for a cup of hot water? (I would want to make an offering and not leech off of others that are carrying the weight of a stove and fuel).

DEPENDS ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES - MOST FOLKS WOULD PROBABLY GIVE YOU A CUP - HOW ABOUT A FANCY FEAST ALCOHOL STOVE AND A LITTLE TAD OF ALKY FOR YOURSELF - OR A LITTLE HOMEMADE WOOD BURNER? - LIGHT AND SELF SUFFICIENT
    (8) In general, were there any items that people traded on the trail? (Food or other)

YES - OTHER - HA HA

Thank you,
    PinkRaven
    [QUOTE=PinkRaven;1247145]Previous thru-hikers:

SIMPLE FOODS - OATMEAL, POTATOES, ETC. TASTED SOO GOOD.

EVENINGS MOSTLY PLUS BREAKFAST COFFEE

PRETTY MUCH - AT LEAST 1X DAY

USUALLY 2X DAY

WHEN I WENT THRU, THEY DIDN'T EXIST - I USED GAS BUT CANISTERS HAVE BECOME PRETTY EASY TO GET

I BECAME A VEGETARIAN ON THE TRAIL - I DID EAT A LOT OF BEANS, BROWN RICE, PEANUT BUTTER, ETC. - NOW, I EAT TUNA (SOMETIMES) AND SEITAN BARS (VEGGIE JERKY)

DEPENDS ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES - MOST FOLKS WOULD PROBABLY GIVE YOU A CUP - HOW ABOUT A FANCY FEAST ALCOHOL STOVE AND A LITTLE TAD OF ALKY FOR YOURSELF - OR A LITTLE HOMEMADE WOOD BURNER? - LIGHT AND SELF SUFFICIENT

YES - OTHER - HA HA

Images

Previous thru-hikers:

March 15th 2011 to june 21st 2011, No change in taste, Craved Grits, Bacon, Cheese, Coffee
    In town during resupplies
    No, only ate hot food while in town cause i went stoveless
    Never
    Not Applicable
    I eat vegetarian(s) ie. cow meat.
    I never desired a stove. I had one hiker offer me a meal from their stove. Yes, it would be rude to ask another hiker for hot water if you were not willing to carry a stove for yourself IMHO.
    Beer.
    Appalachian Trail 2011 699.JPG

Woty seen in the above photo with his "critical" 100 mile wilderness resupply.
    Appalachian Trail 2011 683.JPG

Woty and Trail Blazer in the Bigelows (Maine)
    Trail Blazer went stoveless from January to June but he still cooked every night. He just carried a metal cup and boiled water over small "squaw" fires he made in the firepits at shelters. By the time i met him in New Hampshire he could get a fire going like a magician. So he was stoveless but still cooked.
    I would have traded every bit of food in my pack for a beer at some point.
    Appalachian Trail 2011 700.JPG

Lunchbox loading his "critical" supplies for the 100 mile wilderness.
    Don't worry, the card board box was taken back to Monson by Trail Blazer's Mom... it's all noble.

Thank you,
    PinkRaven
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 01-31-2012 at 23:06.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRaven View Post
    Previous thru-hikers:

I grew to hate oatmeal, grits, and poptarts. Changed to raisin bran or granola for breakfast and I was fine. You get very tired of Lipton/Knorr dinners after a while. I still eat them when backpacking, but reluctantly. Craved real food - fruit, vegetables, whole grain bread, milk.
    I have coffee every morning and a hot meal every night. Tried to go cold while hiking in the desert in NM, but cold foods are heavier than pasta and I got tired of eating the same meal at lunch and dinner.
    (3) Did you eat hot foods every da? Yes.
    (4) How many times per day did you use your stove? On the AT, when I used a Whisperlight, I'd have hot breakfast and dinner and sometimes tea or soup for lunch and sometimes chocolate after dinner. Now that I use an alcohol stove, I only cook dinner and heat water for coffee in the morning.
    (7) If I planned on not using a stove, when would I really miss using a stove? for me, it would be when it's cold. In summer heat, not cooking is a bonus. But on a cold wet day, a hot meal is very cheering. And no, I don't think it would be a good idea to beg hot water off other hikers unless you're seriously hypothermic. Would it be rude to ask another hiker for a cup of hot water? If I do ask another hiker for a cup of hot water, are there any trail favorites that I could use in trade for a cup of hot water? (I would want to make an offering and not leech off of others that are carrying the weight of a stove and fuel).
    (8) In general, were there any items that people traded on the trail? (Food or other) People don't usually trade on the trail, but at hostels there are food boxes where people leave food they don't want. It can sometimes be a way to try things you wouldn't otherwise, like some freeze dried meals or dried fruit. Mostly it's stuff you wouldn't want, like unidentified powders, long cook beans or rice, etc.

Thank you,
    PinkRaven
    Hope that helps.

I craved fatty foods and meat. I could sit down and eat a jar of Nutella just as a warm-up. I also ended up eating jerky constantly.

Dinner time. Also occasionally for breakfast at the beginning and end of my hike, when the weather was colder.

Yes.

Usually just once for dinner, though as mentioned above at the start and end of my hike I sometimes ate hot food (oatmeal) for breakfast as well.

(7) If I planned on not using a stove, when would I really miss using a stove?

That depends on you, though I think many people would miss a cooked dinner. Others are addicted to hot coffee in the morning.

Would it be rude to ask another hiker for a cup of hot water?

Yes. It would be rude to presume that someone else should carry the stove, fuel, and cookware to provide hot water to you so that you can hike without carrying that weight yourself.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

What I craved depended on the weather. I fantasized for hours in a 100 degree heat spell about a glass (real glass) of water with crushed ice a sprig of mint and condensation drops on the sides. When it was cold, I craved McDonald's extra value meal #3- super sized of course. And I would debate about whether to eat the remaining ramen or minute rice in food bag- both sounded delicious. Any food I saw wasted, I craved (watermelon thrown out by picnicers or an apple core that a fellow hiker didn't bother to eat.) My brain was focused on food as long as I was losing weight despite eating everything I could (it wascold). "Town food" wasn't a big deal- I just craved whatever I seemed to be needing. Dehydrated tomatoes were more attactive than a snickers bar, but I wouldnt' have passed up either one.

For dinner. I sometimes ate supper when it was cold and would have liked hot foods then. When it was hot, I didn't care as much.

Excluding partial town days, yes. But sometimes I cooked and let them cool before eating.

Zero to four. Zero would be when I left a town in the afternoon. Four would be when I needed to thaw a filter, melt some snow, or grab a hot drink to prevent hypothermia. Most days with reasonable weather, I used the stove once.

I didn't, but it takes a LOT more fuel when you're cooking with cold water.

Its rude. If you have something to share, it's fine (I'll give you half a snickers for a cup of hot water.) People will share if you have stove issues or need one. No one wants to wake up in a shelter next to a corpse, so they'll share just about anything if you really need it. However, you don't want to be that position. And if you're in that position and happen to be alone(yes, it happens on the AT in the shelters) then you're out of luck.

Luxeries like Honey, tea, spices, and desserts were swapped or just given away frequently. In exchange, someone might cook your breakfast or fetch water, but generally the exchange went the other way the next day, so these things weren't really traded. For example, if I had dinner earlier and was eating a cold supper, I might bum a cup of hot water from someone. But in the morning, I'd be the one to fire up my stove and hand the other person a cup of hot water. No one likes a bum, so make sure that if you go stoveless, you're OK with it or you're willing to make it up in a lot of other ways, such as carrying extra water for others though the dry stretches.

You don't indicate when you plan to start, but the date could have a big impact on how happy you'll be without a stove.

(1) When you were on the trail, how did your food tastes change? What foods did you crave when you were on the trail?:

You're always hungry as a thru and your tastes change from time to time. I ate the same meals basically for the entire trip, a little change, but basically the same meal. You can get bored of certain meals, but I just tried to change it up by the different spices, ect -- I didn't worry about getting elaborate WRT to my meals, keep it simple. Basically, you just have to adopt the mindset, at times, that eating is a chore, a chore that must be done to keep up your strenght and health. Big thing about diet is to stay away from typical junk-food diets, other than that don't get all wrapped up about food taste, just force yourself to eat it, in the same way you force yourself to keep walking. Hunger is just a part of long-distance hiking.

(5) IF you used a JETBOIL, how many days did a single fuel canister last? Did you have any trouble finding jetboils along the way?:

My Jetboil lasted at least 2 weeks on a small canister and I usually used it twice a day, at a minimum. The only place I remember not being able to buy a canister (any type canister) was in SNP. But that's not a real problem as long as you get a canister before entering the park. (I'm not sure if SNP carries them or not nowadays). And if you do run out of fuel, it's not the end of the world, just start up a fire or sometimes I just ate my meals cold, but that was usually because I was just too tired to cook.

Also, on Jetboils, you don't need to buy a Jetboil canister. I know what they say, I got a Jetboil, but I mostly used the tan-colored GIGA canisters, simply because they were cheaper. Jetboil doesn't last any longer, nor is it any more efficient in the cold weather.

Would it be rude to ask another hiker for a cup of hot water?:

Don't ask anyone, unless you're really good friends, and maybe only if they owe you, to use their stove. If I ever had to use anyone's stove I'd feel compelled to pay them or something, maybe carry their pack but I can't ever imagine asking someone that.

My food tastes didn't really change. Never got tired of ramen, oatmeal, stuffing, instant potatoes. Guess I always knew town was only about a week away. I craved orange juice! That was my first purchase when I found a store.

Hot meals appreciated most at breakfast. I used an alchy stove. My buddy a JetBoil. He only bought 1 cannister and snatched the rest from hiker boxes along the way. Most of them were about half full of fuel. Amazing!

When the hiker hunger kicks in you'll eat just about anything. I ended up going through about 2 jars of peanut butter a week by the end of my thru. I snacked at lunch. Those damn beef stick and cheese things were freakin' so addictive...

Images

(1) When you were on the trail, how did your food tastes change? What foods did you crave when you were on the trail? I got tired of all the food I bought before the trip and placed in dropboxes. The best thing is variety. Make sure you go into town often and get new foods. Since my nightly meal almost always consisted of a pasta with tuna or other meat, I craved steak and pizza.
    (2) When did you want hot foods? daily
    (3) Did you eat hot foods every day? Yes
    (4) How many times per day did you use your stove? Once a day, at night. Usually my meals went like this: Breakfast consisted of a bagel with peanut butter or cream cheese, dried fruit, and a protien shake (add powered milk and powdered shake mix to water). I snacked on gorp, fruit rollups, nuts, or string cheese during the day. Lunch usually consisted of crackers/bread, pepperoni slices, cheese, dried fruit, and lots of water. Dinner almost always consisted of a noodle or rice dish (noodleroni, etc) with a meat added like tuna fish, lunch meat, pepperoni or even TVP (textured vegetable protein--get at health food stores). I carried spices and hot sauce to vary up the taste each night. Although you want good meals, I found that hunger was often the best sauce; i.e. I'd eat almost anything after a long day hiking.
    (5) IF you used a JETBOIL, how many days did a single fuel canister last? Did you have any trouble finding jetboils along the way? I used an Esbit stove and then switched to isopropyl alcohol.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

(1) When you were on the trail, how did your food tastes change? What foods did you crave when you were on the trail? Burritos, pizza, and chocolate milk. Basically, food that is really heavy and filling and loaded with flavor, any kind of flavor. Also, occasionally I'd want salad greens. I'd say salad greens were actually the most craved thing among my hiking friends, but that wasn't exactly the case for me.
    (2) When did you want hot foods? Rarely, except in the context of craving town food in general.
    (3) Did you eat hot foods every day? Nope.
    (4) How many times per day did you use your stove? None; I didn't carry one.
    (6) IF you are VEGETARIAN/VEGAN, what foods did you crave? What foods did you eat that you normally do not eat? Did you eat any meat products along the trail even though you are vegetarian at home? One of my buddies was vegetarian but ate tuna on-trail to keep her protein intake high (mercury too, but she didn't like to be reminded of that).
    (7) If I planned on not using a stove, when would I really miss using a stove? Would it be rude to ask another hiker for a cup of hot water? If I do ask another hiker for a cup of hot water, are there any trail favorites that I could use in trade for a cup of hot water? (I would want to make an offering and not leech off of others that are carrying the weight of a stove and fuel). I never missed mine to the point where I seriously considered asking for mine to be sent from home. Sometimes, namely in cold and wet weather at the beginning, I looked at my friends with stoves and thought, "Yeah, they've got it better than me right now." But that's about as far as stove-envy went. Some of my hiking buddies, knowing that I was stoveless, extended the offer to me that I could use their stoves to cook hot meals any time I wanted, within reason. I took them up on that maybe 5 times total the whole hike. Otherwise, I wouldn't dream of asking someone who hadn't offered first to use their fuel.
    (8) In general, were there any items that people traded on the trail? (Food or other) Liquor, cigs, extra food that people (usually section-hikers) knew they weren't going to need before town.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I thought it perhaps best to just not read other responses before typing up my own, FWIW ...

I don't think my tastes changed a lot. Foods one craves are generally the foods that one can only get "in town" --- and that varies. The usual suspects, pizza, things with lots of fat & meat/starch. Cooked breakfast is a common one. Waffles and syrup. All sorts of things like that.

"Want" ? Anytime I guess. On the AT I cooked only dinners, just heating water and using freezer bag cooking approach to off-the-shelf stuff. This past year I did nearly the first half of the trip no-cook and liked that fine too. Do you really mean "want", and what's the context of the "want"? I wanted hot food, certainly, but not necessarily as much as I wanted a lighter pack and simpler in-camp process.

On the AT yes, dinner only.

On the AT once per day. In future, depending on the trail, it might be more like "never".

N/A

N/A

If you go without a stove, just don't ask IMO. Bring a stove or be happy cookless; I think either approach is fine. Try a decent length shake-down hike and figure out for yourself what feels best.

Not in my experience; bring what you want and consume that yourself is the best thing to plan for. Certainly you could make yourself popular by bringing food to give away, but this isn't a common thing among thru-hikers that I've spent time with.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

++ New Posts ++