Default sleeping bag suggestion

My wife and I are planning a 2-3 day hike from Greenbrier SP southbound on the AT in August.
    I need to get her a sleeping back she can hike with. I can not afford a UL bag. Any other suggestions? I would like to keep it under $100

Steepandcheap.com has had Stoic down bags on there recently.

The overnight temperatures in August are going to be rather warm. She probably won't need a down bag. During the hot summer months I use a $20.00 fleece bag that I bought at Wal-Mart.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Yup, you should be able to get a nice summer weight for $80. ...and that includes down. Look at sites like campmore for deals. Kelty has a decent one for that price.

Images

Check out Campmor. In the most recent catalog they have a Marmot 45 degree rated bag that weighs under 2 pounds for 80 bucks.
    They probably have other bags on their website. A lot of times they have close outs
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GP1971 View Post
    My wife and I are planning a 2-3 day hike from Greenbrier SP southbound on the AT in August.
    I need to get her a sleeping back she can hike with. I can not afford a UL bag. Any other suggestions? I would like to keep it under $100
    I say get her the best bag you can afford! Nothing ruins a hike for a newbie faster than being cold and miserable at night. Women tend to sleep colder than men. What works for you, might now be enough for her.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

The Kelty Cosmic gets nice reviews for a basic down bag. They make a women's version. Note that there are several synthetic bags with the Cosmic name, but the down will be lighter, more compressible, and last a lot longer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

the kelty cosmic 50 degree (synthetic) has been discontinued, but is still available on amazon.com for $29.95. it weighs in at 2lb. 4oz., and is a good choice for summer backpacking. i bought eight for some boy scouts, doing a 5 day- 60 miler (DWG to Port Clinton) through PA last summer. for less than $250, everyone had a decent bag for the trip. no one complained about being cold at night.
    this year, Port Clinton to Pine Grove!

++ New Posts ++