WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mountain House wholesale

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get Mountain House meal pouches wholesale or in bulk?

Images

You need to be an established business to get MH meals at wholesale. They don't offer bulk prices otherwise.

And if your planning on buying this for a thru-hike, you may want to reconsider buying 4 to 6 months of freeze dried food all at once. There is a good chance you will not be using it all. Or possibly even much of it. It seems those who buy the most food before hand are often those who quit the earliest.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Here ya go:

http://stores.ebay.com/QuintEssentia...=p4634.c0.m322

I guarantee that you will never eat another MH dinner if you even eat 1/10 of these.

FYI, you can buy smaller quantities by clicking on the tab on the left, but about $600 is generally as low as they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    And if your planning on buying this for a thru-hike, you may want to reconsider buying 4 to 6 months of freeze dried food all at once. There is a good chance you will not be using it all. Or possibly even much of it. It seems those who buy the most food before hand are often those who quit the earliest.
    ...or if you do stay on the trail, you'll be sick of the meals you bought within a few weeks.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

.......Or you'll die from a sodium overdose.

Images

good luck.... even when contacted @ shot show the best they would do is send a catalog....

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    Here ya go:

http://stores.ebay.com/QuintEssentia...=p4634.c0.m322

I guarantee that you will never eat another MH dinner if you even eat 1/10 of these.

FYI, you can buy smaller quantities by clicking on the tab on the left, but about $600 is generally as low as they go.
    If my mental math is correct those prices are outrageously high.

You get 120 dinners and a like number of breakfasts for $1,585.

Costco and Sams sell a box of 10 dinners for $45. So 120 dinners would cost $540. Which means you're paying about $1,000 for breakfast.

Moot point - even if you complete a thru you won't want to eat these things every day. True story; when I thru'd I met a girl who quit her thru at Rainbow Springs Campground (about mile 100). She bought 5 months of MH and was trying to sell them to hikers as they passed by.

Images

If I ever eat another Mountain House meal in my life it will be too soon!

Check out packitgourmet.com and make your own. Buy the meats and vegetables from them and gets quick cook starches from the grocery store. You will save money, pack space and you will have much more variety. You also control the salt content.

Eat Mountain house for a week straight before you buy 5 months worth.

Images

I ate MH for breakfast and dinner my whole thru-hike. I ordered from LDPcampingfoods. Back then they could offer a substantial discount for bulk orders. MH cracked down on all their retailers, though, so now your cheapest options are the big Costco boxes and occasional sales at places like REI.

Mailing yourself MH is definitely not the low cost option. (Resupplying at local grocery stores is definitely cheaper.) But it worked for me. I don't cook when I'm hiking--I just boil water. I don't like to have to wash dishes. You should try the meals before you go. The lasagna, for instance, is very gooey and makes a mess of your spoon. I'm not fond of sweet and sour stuff. The chicken breast with mashed potatoes are fantastic, though expensive.

i like the MH granola for breakfasts, either cold, or made with boiling water in the cold weather.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I often get them at outfitters , end of season sales. $5 a pop is about as low as I've seen. They'll last forever. And i agree they get very boring so I only put them in maildrops. I find the good dinners all cost twice as much so MH is my go to. The secret truth about Long Distance Backpacking is that it's a series of 5,6, 7 maybe 8 day trips between resupply. And freeze dried, or grocery store, or crappy trail town pizza is never the highlight of a Long Distance Hike.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    .......Or you'll die from a sodium overdose.
    They have three MH meals with lower sodium this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1zlztT4x6A
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Okay mountain house isnt all that bad. The beef stroganoff w noodles is excellent and I can eat that all the time. The chili mac with beef not so much. It actually tastes better cold. The chicken stew is pretty good. I have never bothered with the breakfasts.

Journal Entries

check the hiker boxes from GA to ME. last year it seemed every other hiker box had a couple of them or something similar. me, i stick with snickers and reese's and vita sups.

Journal Entries

In 2011 I picked up 5 mh dinners from the hiker boxes in Georgia alone. Obviously someone had a few too many.

Journal Entries

i dont think that someone had too many i think they prolly decided MHmeals were not that good and just got tired of them fast after eating them day after day after day after day and well you know how it is. i dont mind them, but i would prefer a reese's smashed between 2 honeybuns rolled in a nutella slathered wrap. (which is infact what i eat often while on the trail.) hey, dont judge me!

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.survival-warehouse.com/fo...rson_basic.htm You can by some ten oz bags for about $3.50 look for (2 Person Basic Survival )

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

One thing about Mountain Hiouse meals... The last about 30 seconds in a Hiker box.

I need to start selling y'all good food or teach a class. Better taste, costs less, less packaging, less sodium and more variety!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++