WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Around and about...

Default Favorite Hike Pillow

Under ideal conditions, I'm the type that needs some type of head support to sleep.

So, it would be great to get a few suggestions about the folks' favorite hike pillow, either inflate, stuff, or improvise.

Thanks again any feedback.

Images

I just put my leftover clothes in an stuff sack and use that. Worst case my rain jacket would be the last thing in the bag and folded into its pocket makes a small pillow.
    Turtle2

Images

I carry a large thermarest pillow.

I put whatever clothes/stuffsacks in a stuff sack. Worst case for me, for times I am wearing all my clothes to bed, is to put leaves in a stuff sack.......better than nothing.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Sleep head-to-toe with another hiker and use their feet as a pillow...?

Not that I've ever done that... just throwing out a fresh idea...

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post

Now RW you know there ain't nothing fresh about hiker feet. Geez.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I use the ll bean soft pillow. It is very comfortable,light, and fit easily in a pack.

I have a 72" long sleeping pad and I found that I can roll up the end and it's very supportive for me head. I am 5' 10'' and don't mind my feet not being on the pad so if you're taller and like your entire body on the pad then it might not work for you. But if your not using an air mattress, give it a shot, like I said, it's very supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post

The added benefit of bringing a partner to use as a pillow is convincing him/her to carry some of your gear for you. It's like a negative weight multi-use item. Can also be used as a backrest, sleeping bag warmer, foot/back massager, water fetcher, automatic chef, firewood gatherer, the uses are practically unlimited!

Warning: product may whine about the bugs, the hills, the rain, the mud, the sun, and refuse to ever go hiking ever again.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Fold up the top section of your Z-Rest so that it's double-layered at head height.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I use the Thermarest compressible medium and have been happy with it. Since I'm a side sleeper, I use it turned up on it's front edge to get enough height.

"Fold up the top section of your Z-Rest so that it's double-layered at head height."
    Ditto. Your feet are on the ground or the floor but unless it's really damn cold you'll have no problems and I've found this to be a great solution and doesn't require packing another item. It's not a weight issue, just one less thing to take care of out there.

I use the bladder of an inflatable travel pillow inside my clothes sack. The inflatable bladder really helps make sure I have enough height to not wake up w/ a stiff neck (sidesleeper).

I use an Exped Air Pillow. Around 3oz including the stuff sack and packs down to about the size of a stick of deodorant. Asymmetric shape for back or side sleeping

I use my clothing sack with either my WM Flash Down vest (4.6oz) or my Montbell Ex UL Down Jacket (6.5oz)stuffed in on top where my head rests. If I'm using too many of my other clothes to sleep in due to cold temps, then I use other gear under it to help increase the pillow height. My sleep quality increased once I stopped carrying fleece for down as it makes a much nicer pillow. I now carry the vest even when I know it will be too warm at night to use just for the pillow factor.

Journal Entries

like rocket jones said.. therm-rest med. folds up small, weighs nothing, and it fills like the pillow on my couch...i tried the clothes sack.... didnt wk for me.
    eveready

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Magellan inflatable pillow - available at Academy Sports in the sleeping pad section. Has a nice shape and works for me.

Images

Exped Air Pillow, usually with a jacket or stuff sack underneath for added support - works well for my side sleeping.

http://www.rei.com/product/766035/co...ir-core-pillow
    Here are some options for folks who don't like the stuff sack idea (after filling the stuff sack you can put it inside something soft, if it helps).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I once saw an ad for a stuff sack that had some felt or down on one side and was reversible. That way it has nylon on the outside when you are toting it around and something soft on the other which you can use for a pillow.

Anyone seen this or know more details?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++