WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Had the same thing happen to me at Carter Gap shelter while I was alone in October many years ago. About 30 minutes after they quieted down, I was just falling asleep when I heard a panting sound. Shined my headlamp at the sound and two glowing eyeballs peered back from about 20 feet away. Threw a rock and the coyote took off. Nothing the rest of the night. Didn't get much sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    I'm wondering if there are right ways and wrong ways to handle an encounter with a curious pack of coyotes when you are alone at night in a shelter without any sort of suitable defense. I assume a pack would be less likely to venture into an area where there are several campers versus an area with a single camper.
    Only thing I can think of is DO NOT RUN.

Just like many other wild animals, they can take you if they really wanted to. They just choose not to. If you just go about your business, you'll be fine 99.99999% of the time. Probably much betters odds than driving to work or crossing the street.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

On a recent trip up the Sycamore Creek trail in the Cherokee NF I stumbled onto this coyote on the side of the trail with his face shot off. The local boys evidently have an open season on the animals and make a sport of it. Was the meat used? Naw. Was the hide tanned? Naw. Just a lack of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    On a recent trip up the Sycamore Creek trail in the Cherokee NF I stumbled onto this coyote on the side of the trail with his face shot off. The local boys evidently have an open season on the animals and make a sport of it. Was the meat used? Naw. Was the hide tanned? Naw. Just a lack of respect.
    rangers do the same with pigs in the smoky's. lack of respect

From atmilkman: "I'm in FL but I'm beating the FT to death. just helped relocate a chunk of it today."

Relocating the trail - too steep? Runoff erosion a problem? Installing switchbacks and water bars? Just kidding Those are some of the relo. issues we have to deal with in New England. I imagine you have more trouble with 'gator traffic. . My sister lives in northern Florida. Such a different world than up north.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    Bronk, you are mistaken. I watched the documentary recently where the so called animal behaviour experts were trying to determine why a pack of coyotes killed the young woman in Cape Breton a couple of years back. They determined she tried to run once they began following her and it probably triggered their response to kill the prey. Plus, a couple of them were caught and from the 'necropsy'? they've decided the eastern coyotes have mixed with other more aggressive breeds and are adapting to their environment. (more humans in their hunting areas.)

I live in Cape Breton and as tragic as the event was, several factors have to be considered. The Coyotes were shot and autopsied and it was noted that the animals were not pure coyote. Other factors were, the young woman was wearing ear buds and listening to her MP3 player and she apparently had stopped for lunch or a snack. Since that attack several other reports have been made but it was undetermined if coyotes or pack domestic K9’s were involved. These incidents have been from individuals who reported being followed, which, in the Medias eyes, translate into stalking. Since the attack in 2010, the government put a $20.00 bounty on ALL coyotes. I don’t agree with this move.
    I’ve lived in several northern Canadian communities where wolves and coyotes are very common and never have I been concerned for my safety while in the bush. Having the opportunity to share the bush with them is, and has been, a privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    rangers do the same with pigs in the smoky's. lack of respect
    There are at best 500 wild pigs in the GSMNP. And for a year about 10 million humans. I wonder which is having the most impact? Do the Rangers cull the tourists?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    From atmilkman: "I'm in FL but I'm beating the FT to death. just helped relocate a chunk of it today."

Relocating the trail - too steep? Runoff erosion a problem? Installing switchbacks and water bars? Just kidding Those are some of the relo. issues we have to deal with in New England. I imagine you have more trouble with 'gator traffic. . My sister lives in northern Florida. Such a different world than up north.
    LOL Not too steep Switchbacks? Naw. High water. We're getting the trail ready for the annual O2L hike, only we're going east, Lake Okeechobee to Hobe Sound Beach 70 or so miles. Got about 40 people signed up. We're moving the trail in one section so the "girls" don't have to hike in the water. Just kidding ladies. We're trying to stay away from the mocs and crocs. LOL
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

There are at best 500 wild pigs in the GSMNP. And for a year about 10 million humans. I wonder which is having the most impact? Do the Rangers cull the tourists?
    shootin' pigs and leavin' 'em and shootin' coyotes and leavin' 'em are the same thing no matter where it is. at least pig meat is good to eat

On a recent trip up the Sycamore Creek trail in the Cherokee NF I stumbled onto this coyote on the side of the trail with his face shot off. The local boys evidently have an open season on the animals and make a sport of it. Was the meat used? Naw. Was the hide tanned? Now. Just a lack of respect.

Boy that Pisses me off,thanks for posting.It reminds me that we still have some work to do,and that it probably starts with education.

This is a sad picture but we do not know if it was not a case of self defense.

What would you do if you were being ripped apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i sleep with Alpo in my tent
    Who's Alpo?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post

Who's the last person to get ripped apart by a coyote in TN or NC?

Journal Entries

The real issue is livestock.
    Coyotes have essentially eliminated the raising of sheep in WV.
    Our forefathers had cause to think of them as pests.

Who's the last person to get ripped apart by a coyote in TN or NC?
    They consumed the evidence. We may never know.

Coyotes are pests.....

Locally they are eating pets out of back yards and have wiped out the quail, pheasant and rabbit populations.

Having removed more than a few of these pests personally........Have any of you actually tried to skin one of this stinking, filthy creatures????????

Far as being self defense....NO it wasn't.........Deer and small game hunters will pop a coyote at any oppurtunity........

I agree It was not self defence.Coyotes hunt in packs when taking large prey and if they were attacking the person that shot this animal (and left it),that person would have been lying there dead and roting ,not the coyote.While I have not ever skinned a coyote,I have skinned fox,beaver,rabbits and other game animals.At Least in NJ if a coyote is taken in season it is limited to one and fish and game must be notified within 24 hours of taking.If you are protecting your stock,by all means,protect them.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post

While is not certain who,why and with what type of weapon did this,it sure looks like a high power rifle to me with scope,and done in season this would have been added to the bag limit,but that was not the case here as it was left to rot.That shot placement is not the optimal placement for sale of pelt and a head shot always suggest to me that the person was looking for instant gratification.

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    The real issue is livestock.
    Coyotes have essentially eliminated the raising of sheep in WV.
    Our forefathers had cause to think of them as pests.
    My forefathers had cause to think of them as great spiritual creatures.....

Quote Originally Posted by BFI View Post
    My forefathers had cause to think of them as great spiritual creatures.....
    I happen to agree with your forefathers.When looking for information on huskies(long before the Internet)I came across a library index card that said;See "Wolves",and that's what I did,learned a lot about dogs in the process.The Canine species is fascinating to me,and yes spiritual.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++