WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Some high bp meds are classified as diuretics, which basically means it lowers the water content of your body. I find that if I don’t drink enough water to flush out my kidneys on a daily basis I’ll get a gout attack. So I try and have one Clear Pee by mid afternoon. I also stay away from any foods high in purine. For myself, Vitamin B brought on kidney stones, which if you’ve never had one, it is the tophi crystal that is formed in gout attacks, but this one gets stuck in the pee tube from the kidneys. It feels like you are trying to piss out a cactus, not fun...
    Other foods I avoid are any processed meats or anything that has MSG or Nitrates.
    There are several meds on the market, I’ve used Allopurinol twice, and it works great, but the goal for me was to change my diet and increase water consumption. A blood test will tell if you are high in uric acid , which is the precursor to gout.
    If I start to feel a gout attack coming on, and you know when that happens, I take 50mgs of Indomethacin and it stops the attack right now. Indomethacin is also used for Arthritis.
    I start the trail on March 14th and water will be a huge concern of mine as I know how much I’m going to be sweating , so dehydration is going to be something I will not want to have happen.
    The more you learn about Gout the better you can work with your doctor to find a happy balance.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    Keep in mind that most of the posters here are using aliases, have nothing at stake if you follow their advice and have a bad outcome, and generally have no training or studying beyond the qwuick and easy google school of medicine. Your doctor went to considerable trouble and time and effort to get a medical degree, has a state license, and risks being sued if he gives bad advice.
    Or maybe some of the posters ARE doctors and want people to be healthy despite government regulations. Maybe the best decisions about health care are made between docs and those they care about without interference by regulators.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

I have suffered with gout for near thirty years. I was a firefighter and when I would have attacks it would be so bad and painful I would gear up when everyone else was asleep in their racks and I would nap in the truck because I knew I would never get a shoe off and the boots on because of the pain. I would get shot up at the Docs office just to go to work in the mornings and I was a prednisone junkie too boot. Forget about sleeping, the weight of a sheet would bring tears, I had it bad. Then along came ULORIC 40mg once a day and I had some flareups as the med helped break up the crystals that formed in my feet over the years and I had to use a cane and a walker around the house that first few weeks. I thought about killing to the point of planning in my misery both the Doctor and the manufacturers of ULORIC, but then it happened...the attacks eased up and went away and NEVER returned since. It has never been so good I do 8 to 12 miles a day every day, something that was never even thought of as I always had to baby my feet so I could work. There is hope out there and keep looking for the best solution for you.

Images

There are quite a few BP meds on the market. I took Lisinopril for a while but it messed with my lungs causing shortness of breath so I quit taking it. I am on Norvasc now and it seems to work fine.

Talk with your doctorl. I am sure they will work with you to find the right meds that work for your situation.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

I went on a diet both for gout and blood pressure. My blood pressure (after a month on the diet) is normal, and my gout symptoms disappeared (I don't think I ever believed in miraculous healing until earlier this week) in about 10 steps while on a walk when I had a serious face to face with God about my lack of care for others while focusing on my own misery. I still have trouble believing that it happened, but, seriously, within a few steps I changed from hobbling about with a very painful knee (must've moved up from my toe) to walking nearly perfectly normally except for the soreness in some leg muscles due to favoring first the big toe and then the knee.
    I am perfectly fine now.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Been using Lisinopril for years with no problem. I did have to get a shot of cortisone in my big toe. Found out it was degenerative arthritis.

Update: I have no active sign of gout right now.

Have discontinued Lisinopril (was only taking 10 mg. and do not recommend quitting cold turkey before consulting your physician - I nicknamed mine "Dr. Drug" because he has a prescription solution for every symptom ).

My blood pressure continues to drop to near normal levels by watching my diet. I have not significantly changed my sedentary lifestyle, though I have gone for a few short walks.

Typical readings for me currently are between 135/81 and 120/80. Even had one 119/76!

Again, if you have gout problems and are on Lisinopril, especially doses larger than 10 mg./day, do not discontinue your medication without consulting with your psysician (or you may be taking your life in your own hands as I have chosen to do).

More whole grains and veggies, fruit juices, no red meat, no organ meat (sausage), very little fish (some of which are high in purines) and increased water intake (to flush out purines) seem to be the keys to my currently improving state of health.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I was on Lisinopril for a year or so, because of slightly elevated blood pressure(Pre-hypertension). From what I've read, treating pre-hypertension with drugs is questionable. I trusted my doctor, but my health started to decline in several ways..weight gain, dizzy spells, aching joints, trouble concentrating. Went off for a weekend and forgot my pills, decided to stop taking them. My health has continued to improve since then, and I have been able to keep my bp under control with diet and vigorous exercise. In my case, the drug was a bad thing. I believe my doc was a little quick on the trigger...

NOT intended to be advice for anyone else!

BTW, I told my doc I had quit taking them and he said it looks like I don't need them now. Brilliant
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Feel your pain! Had gout once when I was about 32. I wondered who put the boiled marbles in my shoes. Incredibly painful. Doc gave me a shot I think and it went away, but I never really changed anything. It stayed away. Recently had two kidney stones, October and january. I'm more worried about having one of those on a hike. Most horrid pain ever. This getting older sucks.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Feel your pain! Had gout once when I was about 32. I wondered who put the boiled marbles in my shoes. Incredibly painful. Doc gave me a shot I think and it went away, but I never really changed anything. It stayed away. Recently had two kidney stones, October and january. I'm more worried about having one of those on a hike. Most horrid pain ever. This getting older sucks.
    Yeah, but it beats the alternative...........

So, after 4 months without Lisinopril, but on a fairly strict diet, my blood pressure has dropped to high normal levels from the 150/90 or so which was typical of my pre - Lisinopril days.

Two days ago I woke with a very sore knee which became nearly impossible to bend without extreme pain. Yesterday wasn't any better. Ice and ibuprofin made it manageable. This morning I woke up feeling much better. I had been drinking plain water like crazy and my pee was still very yellow . My knee and my pee (gotta love an accidental rhyme ) are much better today.
    I recently was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes as well, and, wouldn't you know it, there is a link between type 2 diabetes and gout.
    Diet and exercise, exercise and diet.
    NO - when you're an old fart you can't just eat whatever you want, lay around the house, and expect to stay healthy.

Take care of your aging carcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    So, after 4 months without Lisinopril, but on a fairly strict diet, my blood pressure has dropped to high normal levels from the 150/90 or so which was typical of my pre - Lisinopril days.

Two days ago I woke with a very sore knee which became nearly impossible to bend without extreme pain. Yesterday wasn't any better. Ice and ibuprofen made it manageable. This morning I woke up feeling much better. I had been drinking plain water like crazy and my pee was still very yellow . My knee and my pee (gotta love an accidental rhyme ) are much better today.
    I recently was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes as well, and, wouldn't you know it, there is a link between type 2 diabetes and gout.
    NO - when you're an old fart you can't just eat whatever you want, lay around the house, and expect to stay healthy.

It's a very cruel joke,and they say cruel insults are the best form of flattery....I'm not feeling it....either.Glad your feeling better,yesterday,no wait today,oh forget it.

For several reasons, I am not taking Lisinipril anymore but am taking Multi-vitamin stress formula by Rexall.

Knee suddenly freed up and pain went away on Tuesday of last week. I went on a 17 mile dayhike on the North South Trail here in RI on Saturday. No knee problems, but a worn out sock led to a blister on the bottom of my left heel - first one since I stopped using boots in 2000. The socks, for what is worth, were Smartwool knock-offs called Omni-wool, purchased at Sam's Club. I can't fault the socks. I didn't notice that they were just about worn through the bottom of the heel. By the end of the hike I was hiking on the nylon reinforcing mesh in the heel - sort of like walking on a piece of window screen. Blister wasn't too bad.
    No sign of Gout and blood pressure continues to improve with diet and exercise. I've lost about 8 lbs. in the past 2 months.

Update: I've lost 7 or so pounds in the past two months and have kept them off. I'm watching my carb intake and avoiding foods high in purines. I am not taking any medications at the moment, and aside from a sore right knee (not the one affected by gout), which is getting slowly better (might be the Pa. rocks or back to work on my feet full time), I am symptom free and my blood pressure is in the 120-130/68-78 range with a resting pulse of 58-68 bpm. I did a 40 mile hike in Pa. two weeks ago and am trying to walk for exercise at least twice a week. Next weekend is another NST dayhike of about 12 miles. I'm looking forward to it, as well as finishing the AT in Pa. sometime this summer.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am getting mixed messages here - So I am coming back tomorrow and reread all this.... I guess I am very tired after today small hike.

Strange as it may seem the diet I am working on is awkward but working... but fish, small steaks, lots of veggies and salads is bringing the weight down... the onslaught of an attack of gout can be knocked down with 8 oz of water and a small teaspoon of baking soda. Beer is off the menu but beer doesn't cause gout. Beer does bring on the belly fat. As for the water - I am two liters a day or more as it is part of the program. every three days I pick up flavored seltzer. - nice.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Here's what I can tell you from 12 years of experience in cardiology: allopurinol is your best bet to handle gout, assuming you can get a prescription. DO NOT EVER STOP taking your antihypertensives without first consulting your physician, you could easily kill yourself. A Daily multivitamin, fish oil, low salt diet, exercise, and hydration are important. There are 4 basic types of antihypertensives: ACE inhibitors (lisinopril, enalapril, Altace); Beta blockers (metoprolol, atenolol, toprol, toprol xl); diuretics (HCTZ, Lasix furosemide); and Calcium channel blockers (Diltiazem, Cardizem marketed more as an antiarrhythmic)

These drugs all lower your pressure by different means, be it vasodiolation, fluid control, or rate and rhythm control

Other drugs such as crestor, Lipitor, Zocor, Niaspan, Simcor, etc. can also have an effect on your pressure.

Unfortunately BP management is not an exact science and is considered on a case by case basis, which takes time and there will usually be side effects. Let your physician know how you feel and if necessary, keep a log of your symptoms. The more information you can provide the quicker the process will be and the sooner you will return to normal, but I must reiterate: NEVER STOP YOUR MEDS WITHOUT TELLING YOUR DOCTOR.

Maintain a good diet, limit alcohol intake (although like red wine, beer in moderation is starting to show heart healthy properties), and a good day hike every now and again should keep you in the green. also manage blodd sugar if you are diabetic.

I hope any additional information I have provided is helpful. I must state that I am not a physician. Rather, I am a cardiopulmonary technician having worked in both invasive and noninvasive cardiology in many facets in the last 12 years. I am not lisenced to provide medical advice, and this post is not intended to take place of a physician's words. Oh, and any other legal mumbo jumbo that I may have forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Two days ago I woke with a very sore knee which became nearly impossible to bend without extreme pain. Yesterday wasn't any better. Ice and ibuprofin made it manageable. This morning I woke up feeling much better. I had been drinking plain water like crazy and my pee was still very yellow . My knee and my pee (gotta love an accidental rhyme ) are much better today.

I signed up on this site specifically to respond on this thread of comments. And my post is directed to Tinker, in particular. I want to thank you for posting your comments. When I read your initial post, I thought, "Oh my gosh! That sounds exactly what happened with me." I never had gout in my life and after a fairly recent visit to my doctor, he prescribed lisinopril for my slightly elevated BP. BTW, I never had high blood pressure either but I'm now 60 years of age and not as active as I was once upon a time. My lifestyle has changed dramatically in the past five years and I know that has contributed to my health. That's all about to change now that I've read your information.

When I developed gout after being on lisinopril, I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me allopurinol to reduce it. No luck. It's still there and I'm still taking both medications. It dawned on me that the lisinopril has been the cause of my gout and the additional medication is to reduce it. That is just jacked! I know enough about medications to know that one may cause side effects and a doctor will often prescribe another to counteract those symptoms. It's a vicious cycle and for those who aren't aware of this, it could lead to trouble.

I've been fortunate to have good health my entire adult life. To have this now, is depressing and frustrating beyond words. Now that I know the lisinopril might actually be the cause of my gout, I'm going to talk to my doctor about stopping it. I'm going to do what you have done and keep track of everything I'm eating and get myself moving more than I have been. I know that will help me too. There is no reason for me to have slipped into this sedentary lifestyle and it's about to end.

Thank you so much for posting this. It has been very eye opening as I did not realize lisinopril had those side effects, even though I've read up on the medication. You just never know what you'll learn if you scour the net. I'm grateful. Thanks from this old lady.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldlady View Post
    I signed up on this site specifically to respond on this thread of comments.
    Well, now that you're here, might as well hang around! Welcome!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++