WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gout and Lisinopril

I woke up today with a revelation of sorts:

It dawned on me that the gout symptoms I've been increasingly bothered with (more frequency the longer I've had the condition) began happening

right after I was prescribed Lisinopril for high blood pressure. My pressure wasn't really that high, averaging around 145-50/90, but it was consistently high, so my doctor prescribed

Lisinopril. Shortly after taking the medication (within a month) I had my first-ever gout attack. About a month later I had another, then 6 months after that, another. I am recovering from my 5th or 6th episode right now.

Anyhoo.........................(that's what my mom says - she's 89 years old and allowed to be cute )

I went on line first thing this morning and typed in Lisinopril and Gout as key search words. BANG! - up pop numerous headings linking Lisinopril and Gout.

I'm considering dropping the Lisinopril and going after a healthy diet and more regular exercise (daily walking or bike riding) to see if I can drop my blood pressure naturally.

Heck, I've already cut out beer, bacon, ham, sausage, turkey, codfish, spinach, and just about everything which is implicated in triggering gout attacks.

I've always eaten (since adulthood, anyway) whole grain bread and bran muffins.

I think I need to increase the intake of fruits and vegetables and stay away from the red meats.

I'll let you know how it works out.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

El Sordo
    Images

I'd rather have gout then a stroke. Then idea of controlling your BP with exercise and diet is excellent, but I'd suggest you get your BP under control before dropping your Lisinopril.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.icuredmygout.org/

I started a high blood pressure med a year ago and I really needed it, I knew there was a serious problem ( falling asleep at the wheel at noon ) was my biggest trigger to getting checked out.... I think its unrelated. My previous doctor and I dropped him didn't talk about the huge side affects... Severe pain in the bottom of the feet, swelling ankles, and hives, massive hive attacks that landed me in the hospital... So he prescribed Exforge to imrpove things.... guess what.... same problems.... My pain was so severe i could not walk on my feet a mile.... Later I found out they both contain a base medicine that is the root cause.... and dropped him. Found another doc and I am on Hydrochorothiazide now and the problems are drastically reduced. But the gouty like arthritis is awful. I am following some of the things on that site at the top. And just for fun I drank a little Baking Soda and the worst pain in the feet disappeared 45 minutes later. Knees had no significant change.

I will dig up more on the subject - Always consult your doctor!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Thanks, WOO. I spent the whole afternoon on the couch (this morning at the cptr). It hurts to take a single step. I believe I injured the heel of my left foot by favoring the toe on the same foot.

It will pass. I don't like taking NSAIDs, either. Everything has side effects.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Tinker to be brutaly honest - the worst of gout is trying to get sleep when you first jump into bed at night - you cannot get your mind off the pain... I really recommend a warm cup of milk with one or two benadryl and that passes most out in half an hour.... the pain just keeps you up... good luck
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    .....Always consult your doctor!
    Excellent advice. But you need to do more than consult. You need to explore the medical literature and argue with your doctor if you have questions. I had my first bout of gout on my walk north from Springer. The emergency room doc in Franklin diagnosed it as an infection and prescribed an antibiotic. A week later I could only walk slowly and with pain. I've had identical symptoms a half dozen times in the subsequent 18 years. Gout medicine solved the problem each time in a day or two.

After open heart surgery to repair a congenital heart valve problem a decade ago, I was put on an array of medicines by my local heart doctor. I researched them all -- or tried to. I skipped one that he said it was both harmless and routine. That's the one that permanently poisoned my lungs. When I complained that I suddenly went from walking five miles a day to not being able to easily get 150 feet to the mail box, he told me not to worry. "Just keep walking and you'll be okay." he said before discharging me for a year.

As soon as I read the medical literature, I learned that 3 or 4 percent of the people taking the one drug I hadn't researched suffered serious lung problems and 17 percent of those died as a result.

I now check everything and regularly go for second opinions. My lungs haven't recovered -- and never will. But the condition has mostly stabilized and I've learned to work around the affliction.
    Last edited by weary; 02-05-2012 at 00:48.

There are several classes of BP medication. I suffered through my first prescription type feeling miserable because I thought my Dr. was a smart guy. Turns out everybody reacts a different way. Tell your Dr. your issues and he will prescribe another type - mainly because if he knows that you are not satisfied you will not take the meds. If the next type does not work try again.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    http://www.icuredmygout.org/ I started a high blood pressure med a year ago and I really needed it, I knew there was a serious problem ( falling asleep at the wheel at noon ) was my biggest trigger to getting checked out... Found another doc and I am on Hydrochorothiazide now and the problems are drastically reduced. But the gouty like arthritis is awful. I am following some of the things on that site at the top. And just for fun I drank a little Baking Soda and the worst pain in the feet disappeared 45 minutes later. Knees had no significant change.I will dig up more on the subject - Always consult your doctor!
    Actually, hydrochlorothiazide is contraindicated for those with gout. There are many classes of anti-hypertensives so you may need to try several in order to find the right one that doesn't cause hyperuricemia. Unfortunately, docs in this country are hamstrung... er, I mean guided by recommendations made by the American College of Cardiologists which tell physicians what to prescribe. Anyway, correct diet and exercise, magnesium supplementation, and fish or krill oil can all help.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I am glad Tinker started the thread as it's timely for me - it confirms some early issues from when I started the BP meds to getting my first bout of swollen feet to later getting gout - part of the reasoning is xrays show early on arthritis - and there is gouty arthritis.... Going back a year I must have been mad at myself because I took this pic to remind me when the swelling first started - it shows the date March 2010 - you will enjoy this....

swollen feet.jpg I suspect BP meds accelerate gout. Look No Ankles!

Woo

I did a little more research on Lisinopril after having a pretty severe bout of pain where the Achilles tendon attaches to the back of the heel. It turns out that a small number of lisinopril users also had achilles tendonitis.

Fwiw: I hadn't been regularly exercising the past three+ years due to a busy work and nonprofit work schedule, had been eating a lot of salty fast foods, and am not a big veggie and fruit eater.
    These things probably contributed more to my high BP than anything else, along with a habit of working until I was dying of thirst, then working some more, leading to dehydration.

I looked up a list of good foods to eat to lower blood pressure. Interestingly, most of them are forbidden (with the exception of processed meats and salt) for gout sufferers, and I have been obedient to avoiding them since I was diagnosed with high uric acid.

I've also been taking a pain medication recommended for my doctor to deal with gout (Naproxin), which works well with the pain, but has a host of side effects as well.

To deal with gout I was given a prescription for allopurinol, which is supposed to chemically alter the uric acid in the blood to prevent it from forming crystals in the joints. MAJOR warnings with that one.

I neglected to say that I am not recommending that other users of Lisinopril look for alternatives.

If you have gout and haven't experienced it before commencing a Lisinopril regimen see your doctor. My blood pressure is on the low side of high (worst has been 165/90 with a pulse rate of 85 - a few minutes after getting in from a bike ride). Normal is 120/80 or lower. My average is 135/78.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tinker a lot of threads are written for users by drug companies we discovered this when I started that old thread about miss information about diet. My whole point of that thread that a High fat low carb diet with lots of veggies is far better than the last 25 years of nutitionist from college. John Wayne lived a long life ate a ton of red meat and smoked.....

do what you can to loose the weight - get excersising the best you can stay on the meds and get help!

Woo

I took myself off of the Lisinopril (2nd day off) and am monitoring my BP regularly. I'm only on 10 mg./day. I will go back on if my pressure shows daily increases, regardless of how small. Today I ate much better than usual and got in a bike ride of about 7 miles. My heel is still too sore for walking any distance.

I appreciate your concern. I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Let us know how it goes at the doc's. A well-informed patient is a blessing not a threat. FYI: Achilles tendon pain can be caused by several things so don't be quick to blame the lisinopril. Most common causes include prolonged standing and walking.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    Let us know how it goes at the doc's. A well-informed patient is a blessing not a threat. FYI: Achilles tendon pain can be caused by several things so don't be quick to blame the lisinopril. Most common causes include prolonged standing and walking.
    Wouldn't apply to me since I've been out of work and basically sedentary since Sept. 6. I've been walking a bit (2-3 miles a few times). I did do a 6 mile two days before the latest gout attack, which was followed by the tendon issue. I don't blame the tendon issue on the Lisinopril, just thinking it could be a side effect.

I think you are on the right track working with your doctor but telling him you want to treat this as much as possible with healthy diet and exercise, and working towards reducing and avoiding drugs as much as possible. If you make it clear that you are motivated and disciplined when it comes to diet and exercise, and of course give him all the details on the gout attacks, that should help him give you better treatment.

It's all well and good to say gout is better than a heart attack or stroke, but if gout is keeping you from staying active, its preventing you from doing activity that will help prevent heart attack and stroke. Weight loss is a great enabler also, I think. Working on that myself. Really working hard to get down to lean weight as I turn 50.

I'm a big fan of sardines. Lower on the food chain than other fish, so less of a problem with mercury and stuff, plus its got bones in it, which is a plus, and great source of Omega 3. Good on toast, or pan fried with oats and canola oil. Best regards. I am also a huge fan of oatmeal rather than other grains. I've heard you don't want to be to high in Omega 6 relative to Omega 3, but oatmeal is not too bad and sardines really help with the Omega 3. I like some sunflower seeds with my oats, but unless my data is wrong it might be WAY high in Omega 6 relative to Omega 3, so I'm going to double check that and eliminate sunflower seeds if that is the case.

Go crazy on the herbs, as well as fresh greens. Herbs are greens. Cheers.

El Sordo
    Images

Keep in mind that most of the posters here are using aliases, have nothing at stake if you follow their advice and have a bad outcome, and generally have no training or studying beyond the qwuick and easy google school of medicine. Your doctor went to considerable trouble and time and effort to get a medical degree, has a state license, and risks being sued if he gives bad advice.
    Dyslexics Untie!

I taken Lisinopril for at least a year, no sign of gout.

http://blood-pressure.emedtv.com/lis...nopril-p2.html

Some of these possible side effects (of Lisinopril) include but are not limited to:

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I think you are on the right track working with your doctor but telling him you want to treat this as much as possible with healthy diet and exercise, and working towards reducing and avoiding drugs as much as possible. If you make it clear that you are motivated and disciplined when it comes to diet and exercise, and of course give him all the details on the gout attacks, that should help him give you better treatment.

It's all well and good to say gout is better than a heart attack or stroke, but if gout is keeping you from staying active, its preventing you from doing activity that will help prevent heart attack and stroke. Weight loss is a great enabler also, I think. Working on that myself. Really working hard to get down to lean weight as I turn 50.

I'm a big fan of sardines. Lower on the food chain than other fish, so less of a problem with mercury and stuff, plus its got bones in it, which is a plus, and great source of Omega 3. Good on toast, or pan fried with oats and canola oil. Best regards. I am also a huge fan of oatmeal rather than other grains. I've heard you don't want to be to high in Omega 6 relative to Omega 3, but oatmeal is not too bad and sardines really help with the Omega 3. I like some sunflower seeds with my oats, but unless my data is wrong it might be WAY high in Omega 6 relative to Omega 3, so I'm going to double check that and eliminate sunflower seeds if that is the case.

Go crazy on the herbs, as well as fresh greens. Herbs are greens. Cheers.
    Sardines are on just about every gout list of "foods to avoid", as is spinach. Most other greens aren't mentioned. My wife and I like southern styled greens like kale and turnip, mustard greens, etc. but can't cook them with bacon or ham (on gout list) any more. Turkey is also on gout "no-no" list.
    Oatmeal is also on the list.
    All processed meats and most red meats are on the list.

Good to know. Thanks Tinker. Best regards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++